The Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa

See Hotels with Better Ratings

Tags

Golf Spa and Resort
See Amenities

Terrible, Unless you are a golfer stay away.

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 26, 2012

I am very disappointed with my overall experience at this hotel. The staff had no manners, especially in the restaurant's located within the hotel, my room was located right next door to the housekeeping which was a disturbance throughout the the entire day, especially during early morning hours and had numerous incidents of disrespectful remarks and disappointments. Upon my arrival, staff at the front desk were not very inviting or friendly, seemed like even putting on a smile was too much effort. Proceeding, I acquire my keys and room number only to find out my room was located right next door to the housekeeping. This was much of a shock considering I had a in-house gift certificate for my stay and expected a room in a much private area not located so close to such a ruckus. After all the hotel was not busy, and a room located in such a area should be reserved as a last priority (when the hotel is absolutely full). My reservation was also done a week in advance to my arrival, meaning there was no reason for there not to be any other available rooms meeting the standard of room enlisted on my certificate. Huge disappointment.
When it comes to the manners of the waitresses, it was absolutely unacceptable. I ordered a salad, which I received dry. When I had asked the waitress kindly for some dressing she walked away without a word came back and threw the dressing onto my table and walked away, again without saying a word. There were 2 tables filled at this time (myself and another 2 seater), the lounge was not busy, therefore asking for some dressing for my unappetizing dry salad should not only be obtained with enthusiasm but with a smile rather than a frown as if i was asking for a complicated order of a food non existent to the menu you provide.
Another incident with one of your servers at your restaurants was during my breakfast. Upon check in I was re assured that my gift certificate included a complimentary breakfast. With this knowledge and common courtesy to inform the waitress, before taking my order I informed her. Her reaction was absolutely disrespectful and very unprofessional. She found it amusing, laughed in my face, giggled while she asked with great attitude " do you have a prestige card or something?", and also specified that she has never heard of the hotel giving out complimentary breakfast. She then excused herself and verbally explained that she needs to check with the reception if this is true. The most unfortunate fact about this situation is that at your hotel what you consider complementary, is not really complementary considering you automatically charge the tip percentage to my credit card. This waitress did not only offend me with her unprofessionalism and judgmental comment, but I also had to pay for her tip during my check out, when she clearly did not deserve one after her actions.
Due to all these disappointing experiences I chose to leave the hotel 1 day before my check out date.
Not only were staff disappointing and the issue of my room placement, but the lack of effort when it comes to transportation at this hotel just takes the cake. Not only is the resort at least a half an hour drive away from any tourist attraction areas and charges so much money for its facilities, there is no initiative taken to provide a simple shuttle service to ANYWHERE. I was shocked to find out that my only choice was to be stranded in a hotel with rude staff everywhere, or take a taxi that would cost me 50 dollars ( or more depending on traffic) each way in order to get to the city, quite frankly even to the nearest bus stop the ferry. Ridiculous.

This was by far the worst hotel experience of my life, and I definitely will never recommend this resort to anyone, nor will I choose to stay at any Westin Hotel's in the future.

nice amenities, poor acoustic insulation

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 26, 2012

It is a nice hotel with great amenities including a spa and wireless Internet access. However, the acoustic insulation is rather poor. Talking anywhere above whispering could be heard potentially in the hallway and attract complaints from neighboring guests and rude knocks from security on the door.

Defnitely won't come back again.

Nearby The Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa

• Kitchenette
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Victoria Travel Forum

Need advice about Victoria, Canada? Visit the Travel Forum for Victoria and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Victoria hotel reviews