3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Menu Board and DisplayMenu Board and Display

Snow Snow SnowSnow Snow Snow

Whistler VillageWhistler Village

Alexandre FallsAlexandre Falls

2 girls moving to Whistler for 4 months!

by JuliaUlehla

Hey guys, we are two 18 year old Australian girls looking to find a place in whistler village (preferably) for 4 months. We are getting working Visa's and plan to work regularly, probably just in hospitality, but later on I will hopefully find work as a snowboarding instructor (when I'm qualified).
I've had a few friends live in Whistler for a year or so and all claim they found work easily, that people there are friendly, that the transport is decent (we won't be able to drive over there!) etc.
Please let me know if you have any tips, warnings, or experiences you would like to share with us in relevance to getting a job, accommodation etc or if you have any available for us!
Thank you very much, we appreciate your help =)

by yvr

Take plenty of money with you as Whistler is an expenisve place to live or visit. Hopefully your pay check will be able to carry your through each month.

by YVRDave

Phil, I don't think the type of accommodation these girls will be looking for is on your radar.
Bunk shacks and multi-bed ski cabins are everywhere, yes they have kitchens.
Check out The Pique http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/pique/index.php classified.

The mountain is rumored to open this Friday with the new snow

by yvr

YOur right Dave, not the type of places I would stay, but I was thinking about food also, restaurant prices are high and even grocery shopping is not inexpenisve, no competition means higher prices. Staying in Whistler for four months would be like solitary confinement must be in prison.

by YVRDave

LOL, I suspect they will blow all they earn to have fun. It is the way of youth, I say dreamily remembering it.

by yvr

Ah yes youth, I think I remember it at some period in my life, long long ago.

by JuliaUlehla

Haha, hey guys - thanks for your responses and yes we are aware it is expensive but we have been living in Noosa Heads QLD here which is ridiculously expensive (most ritsy, posh holiday destination) so we suspect it can't be more expensive than that. Hopefully we will have a fair bit of money for out time there, but so far its not looking too great =/ haha yes we will be spending all our money on fun and expenses as we do haha, also probabaly the biggest problem with our arrival is that we come in mid january - prime season - so it will be hard to find a place, work and probabaly everything will be at its most pricey stage. Hoping to organise accommodation before we get there!

by benwebb

I saw that you had mentioned earlier in your post but if you are looking for transportation to Whistler I've found this website www.ridebooker.com to be very useful. They provide great customer service and guarantee less than an hour wait at the airport on shuttle transfers from YVR to Whistler. But if you still need transportation than this could be useful for you.

advertisement?

Travel Tips for Whistler

Stop for Beavertails on the Hill

by ChrisSheena

For a quick break and a great way to add back calories during a day's ski-ing, try the Beavertails at the Olympic station - halfway up Whistler mountain. They're freshly made and have a variety of toppings available. At Easter 2010 they cost $6 each. The vendor did not take credit cards so make sure you have cash. It was great to sit outside - I imagine it could be miserable if the snow is coming in horizontally - though they really are worth getting cold for.

Rainbow Falls

by btex

Rainbow Falls is near the beginning of the Rainbow Lake Trail which can be found near the cemetery on Alta Lake Road...not too far from Alta Lake and the HI hostel. Rainbow Falls was a nice little spot, and, best of all, there was nobody around...I had the place to myself. Had to hike up a twisting road for a while to reach the falls, and I also had just scene some bear tracks in the area...so that made the hike a little more interesting. Anyway...the falls are very scenic but not too big - it was worth the trip though. Further up the trail it was snowbound or else I would have gone on. The tourist center hands out maps of Whistler that will give directions to the trail.

Sea to Sky Highway

by jujub

Drive during the day and just take in the great scenery... we drove straight through on our way from Vancouver to Whistler -- it's kind of tough to stop at the scenic outlooks (left side) when you are going north (up on the right side). The highway is mostly one lane, due to the curviness of the mountain.

We stopped at the scenic outlooks on our way back to Vancouver. It was very tempting, and you must stop at least once. =)

Hot Tub Hopping!

by Jyrki

Ah rebelious youth. This is good times. Whistler is full of people with lots of money and most people who own property in Whistler also own property in Vancouver. This means that they are not always at Whistler. Many of the new condos come equipped with a hot tub in the backyard.

So here'sall you have to do: Get drunk at one of the local nightlife spots, find a new condominium complex with said hot tubs, find one that is unlocked, hop in and enjoy!

You get the thrill of sneaking around and are rewarded by a nice soothing hot tub, which after wandering around looking for said hot tub is pure bliss! One word of caution if you find one that is unlocked and seems safe...DONT switch tubs! We did and ended up running naked down the street...good times good times.

Whislter: 1st time falling (gracefully) down a MT

by zoegoddess

"I tried snowboarding!"

I had never ever been down a mountain (well, besides hiking/camping and such)...and I did so well! Despite there being a lack of snow down the entire mountain, I think I give myself an A for effort. And I'll do it again! Yay!

Comments