Alpine Chalet Whistler Inn

See Amenities

dissapointing and false advertising

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 19, 2011

I got a wellness and recuperation 2-night package for the chalet from Groupon. The package was described on the Groupon page and on the chalet's website as including 2 yoga classes per day, a wellness and nutrition seminar, afternoon tea, a steam room, and as having a hot tub with views of Alta Lake.

I booked a few weeks in advance and informed them that I was using the Groupon. The staff were courteous and very professional, and very accomodating when I had to move my reservation one day. I picked weekdays for our stay as I thought that would mean that Whistler would be less busy.

When we got there we were impressed by the butler, Wayne, who was absolutely helpful and professional; however, we were surprised to find out that there were no yoga classes being offered at this time, nor the wellness seminar and that the afternoon tea consisted of a self-serve station with a kettle for boiling water and packages or coffee, hot chocolate and tea bags in the lounge area.

Other huge disapointments were the steam room and the hot tub. The steam room is nothing more than a small shower with steam capacity. It is not suited for more than one person at a time. The hot tub was dirty and it did not have views of Alta Lake; rather, it is surrounded by wodden fencing with some trees over the top of the fence. The walkway to it was covered in slippery ice. Overall the hot tub was slippery, slimy and just barely hot enough.

Breakfast was excellent but there is no on-site chef as advertised. However, Louisa was warm, friendly and served us very well. We felt very well taken care of by Louisa and Wayne and want to stress that our poor review of the chalet does not in any way reflect the service we received from them. They are staff there and have no control over what the owners chose to offer the guests. When we mentioned to them that we were disappointed in the fact that yoga classes were not offered, they were shocked that the person taking the reservation did not inform us of this.

Since we got a groupon package for those 2 nights we ended up paying $275 a night instead of the regular price of $319 so we didn't lose out on any money. The bone of contention for us though is the fact that we went there expecting it to be a wellness retreat and ended up getting a regular B+B that we could have booked anywhere and probably for less. As well, it is advertised as a luxury inn. Our impression was that it was definitely nice, clean and quiet but not what I would call luxurious, and I've travelled to many luxurious European inns in France, Switzerland and the Netherlands so I know what European luxury looks like in Europe.

That along with the false advertising (no yoga classes or wellness seminar, they don't have a chef on-site, no afternoon tea and the hot tub does not have views of Alta Lake) made our first impression of the chalet rather disappointing and guarantees that we will not go back or recommend it to anyone.

Also, make sure you check out the reviews on tripadvisor.

Unique Quality: Wonderful staff, comfortable bed, great location, great breakfast.

Nearby Alpine Chalet Whistler Inn

• Business Services
  • Continental Breakfast
  • Free High Speed Internet

Whistler Travel Forum

Need advice about Whistler, Canada? Visit the Travel Forum for Whistler and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Whistler hotel reviews