Symphony Townhouse

4385 Northlands Blvd, Whistler, British Columbia, Canada

More about Whistler

On the chairlift, heading down to WhistlerOn the chairlift, heading down to Whistler

Brandywine Falls in the SnowBrandywine Falls in the Snow

Looking down over a trestleLooking down over a trestle

Marko on the gondola-don't be deceived he's scaredMarko on the gondola-don't be deceived he's scared

Travel from Oregon to Whistler

by sueash

We are from New Zealand and looking to spend a couple of months travelling mainly around the Oregon area (have family there) and then up into Canada. My question is what is the best way to travel - hiring or buying a car + using motels or to buy/hire a campervan type vehicle.

Re: Travel from Oregon to Whistler

by JGpapermaker

When will you be traveling and for how long? I would rent (hire) a comfortable car at the Portland Airport (assuming that is where you are entering the US). I have not seen campervans for rent before at the airport, but I am sure you could get one if you asked beforehand. I don't think buying a car makes sense - did you mean lease?

Oregon is a great area and couple of months will be plenty to see it. With that much time, you could check out parts of other nearby states (like Idaho and California) as well as some parts of British Columbia. In Oregon, places I love are: Silver Falls State Park, John Day Fossil Beds, Columbia Gorge, Bend area, the Oregon Coast is great just about anywhere.

Re: Travel from Oregon to Whistler

by CelticSu

We have some young friends who came over from Australia - their plan was to hire a camper van, travel the U.S., then head up to Canada (Whistler) to work & snowboard.

After doing extensive research (with as much help as I could offer from the U.S.), they decided it was cheaper for them to look for a used camper van to purchase with the idea of selling it after their trip is over. They're in Whistler now, have found work, and are having a great time!

As to what you should do: that depends on your interests, comfort levels, age maybe, etc. For instance, I'm middle aged and might prefer motels to a camper van at this point in my life. :-) Whereas, you may be younger like our friends, and be okay with the limitations of a camper van.

Cost-wise, car + motels would likely be more expensive than the camper van - whether you rent or buy. However, if you buy, you might get most of your money back by re-selling when you're ready to leave.

Hope this helps and that you enjoy your visit!!

Travel Tips for Whistler

SKIING WHISTLER / BLACKCOMB

by RACCOON1

HOW TO SKI WHISTLER / BLACKCOMB

This is the recommended procedure I picked up from a friend that has owned a condo at Whistler for about 25 years .

1. Be in line before the lifts open.
2. Head straight to the top
3. Ski the upper half until about 10:30 am or
when you see that the late risers have
made it this far
4. Then head down and ski the lower half.
The crowd is now at the top.
5. Have an early lunch and repeat the
process starting at 12:45.
The 7th Heaven and Harmony Lifts a can get crowded . Ski these early and then move elsewhere .

Chinese with a twist

by hartmany about Mongolio Grill

I couldn't tell the difference between the food at Mongolio Grill and typical chinese food (same thing?), but who cares. It's is a build your own stir fry and you pay by weight. More than enough choices for ingredients and sauces. This place is a must!

GET YOUR BUTT UP TO WHISTLER

by Jmill42

Hands down the best resort I have ever been to is Whistler! It is world famous for its annual snowfall, which leads to some of the best skiing on the planet. With only a few hours drive along the coastline north of Vancouver, you are doing yourself a HUGE injustice by not going to Whistler. I have been to every big resort and most smaller ones in the Western US, and this was the best out of all of them.

SHANNON WATERFALLS

by balhannah

WE made a stop at Shannon Waterfalls on our way to Vancouver.
These falls are very easy to reach, as they are located just off Highway 99. There is a large car park, lawns, picnic tables and benches and Toilets.

The walk was on a paved track that took me over a bridge where a creek was running, and to the viewing platform, about 10mins at the most. This part is ok. for wheelchairs. The view was great, the water was flowing fast, plunging 335metres down the mountain side.
These are the 3rd highest falls in British Columbia.

The second viewpoint, was not as easy to reach. Still a short walk, but a steep one, the viewing platform juts out from the cliff. More brilliant views!

Certainly worth a stop.

Whistler, Whistler, Whistler, Oi, Oi, Oi!!!!

by happycampers_3

"Whistler"

Lisa, myself, Chris, Annie and Rachael caught the mini bus to Whistler. Not only were we hungover but our bus driver was as mad as a cut snake, and managed to throw us around the bus like rag dolls. The trip from Vancouver only took us about an hour an a half and when we got to whistler the air was cold, fresh and crisp.
We couldnt check into the hostel until 4 in the arvo so we just hung about waiting in the reception.
When we checked in Lisa and I were in a dorm room and the girls and Chris were in a private. We ended up sharing with a Kiwi guy who was over by himself on a skiing holiday.
We had some dinner at the restaurant upstairs and made a b-line for bed, as it was a big day ahead, Australia Day in Whistler.

"20 hours and still going............"

The 5 of us got up bright and early and dressed ourselves in anything remotely Australian that we owned. We got the bus to the village an arrived at the Pub, "The Longhorn" about 9 in the morning. It was freezing cold and there were about 200 people in front of us in the line to get into the Pub. People were playing footy and drinking beers and one guy was dressed as Steve Irwin, which was actually quite scary as he had a hairdo just like him, and looked similar too.
When we got into the pub we headed straight for the bar so that we could rip the ears of a stubbie. Little did we know that it was going to set us back $6.25 for a can of VB!!!! Oh well, the price has never stopped us from drinking. So onward and upward as they say. Lisa and I danced and sang to many old favourites like "khe sanh", "Land down under" and "your the voice"........ go John farnham. Several hours later and several drinks later, we met up with some blokes from the Vancouver hostel and headed over to the Irish Pub in town. We had a few bevvies there before moving onto "buffalo bills" and "Mojos". Then we caught the bus home. While waiting we met a nice english "chap" named billy, who enjoyed singing with us all the way home on the bus. By the time we actually crawled into bed into was about 4.30................ not a bad effort . GO AUSSIE DAY!!!!!!!

"Snoweating......... snowboarding???"

Us two crazy kids thought that snowboarding was our thing. Well we did get the gear, the lessons and have the mindset but the way I'm feeling today i dont know if its really my bag baby.
Yesterday, we had a full day snow boarding lesson with the lovely Nikki. She was great and the conditions were right and lisa and i thought that going down the mountain on your arse or face was actually the name of the game. Apparently not. Let me tell you that snowboarding is not as easy as it looks. To begin with, if your going to fall, your going to fall and there is nothing you can do about it. Its like watching a baby takes its first steps, or even driving by a road accident. You know u dont really want to see it but at the same time cant take your eyes away.
It would seem that every time i was up and going someone would wizz by and make me fall over. But never fear as every time i made and oh so graceful decent onto my arse lisa was there will full support and laughter. Mind you though, i was there for her in exactly the same way.
After a morning of learning front, back, toe, stop, jump, pivot turn we were well and truely ready for lunch.
After lunch and a mini rest we headed back up the mountain, where we have both learned that the chairlift is not your friend. It uses all of its powers to buck you off at the last second and cause major kaos at the lift station.
The two of us still powered on and by the end of the day we were up and away and turning and all. fairly pleased with our efforts we headed down the mountain home.
This is where the fun begins.......... or should i say pain. I have two bruises on my legs that are the size of tennis balls and black as the ace of spades. Lisa has about 3 inches missing out the front of each shin (mind you, that was australia day induced), our bottoms are bruised and sore and both of us cant even lift our arms high enough to pick our noses!!!!
So today we have taken the day off but in the morning we will head back up, injured or not!

Comments