1125 18th Street, Keystone Centre, Brandon, R7A7C5, Canada
Expedia.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

More about Brandon

Squire Hall - built in 1910Squire Hall - built in 1910

'The 40' adjoining the Trais West Motor Inn'The 40' adjoining the Trais West Motor Inn

Distant upstream safety barrierDistant upstream safety barrier

Old grain sheds sheltered in a Canola fieldOld grain sheds sheltered in a Canola field

Travel Tips for Brandon

Spirit Sands Provinicial Park

by Redlats

I received an email objecting to my views of Brandon - ie that it is not really a place worth visiting unless you have friends/family to visit. I stick by that, but I do agree that if you like hiking, there is a park about a half an hour outside Brandon called Spirit Sands. This park has Manitoba's (maybe even Canada's) only shifting-sands desert.

There are two main hikes to take in this park - one through the Carberry desert, and one to a phenomenon called the Devil's Punch Bowl. In this case the punch bowl is caused by the combination of sand and springs (not like the volcano punch bowl I saw in Hawaii).

Please go to my Carberry page for pictures

My first real taste of Manitoba

by Bwana_Brown

I had visited Manitoba only twice before, both times involving the capital city of Winnipeg. The first time was on a hitch-hiking trip from Canada's east coast in 1970 and the second was a 2-night dead-of-winter fly-in on a business trip in 1998. This time around was much better because, even though it was another working business trip, at least it was during beautiful summer weather and there was just enough free time to enable me to see a bit more of the province.

The company I work for in Regina, Saskatchewan had been awarded a major maintenance contract with a large industrial customer in Brandon, so about 35 of us converged on this sleepy little city for 7-8 days of solid work. We had quite good weather, sunny and warm with only a few rain showers, so on the one day when not all the crew was needed, I rented a car and did a little extra exploring outside the city. I was quite impressed by what I saw, including a Museum dedicated to training air force crews during World War II, beautiful countryside, Canada's longest swinging bridge over a pretty little river and a major 'castle' located in the middle of nowhere!

Comments