Canad Inns Portage la Prairie

Karlie85's Profile Photo

One of few

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 20, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for two nights (Friday and Saturday) for my father-in-law's retirement party, as well as dozens of other people from out of town. The party was being held here on the Friday night.

We were in room 253, a King & Sofa suite. The room is long and rectangular. When you walk in, there is a good sized living room with a sofa bed, a desk, table and chairs. There is a mini fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. The bathroom consists of only the shower/tub and the toilet. The sink and mirror are directly outside the bathroom in the
hallway. The bedroom is at the end. The bed was huge and comfortable. There is a large counter in the bedroom, as well as a chair and TV. The hotel has free wireless internet access in the rooms, and a computer and printer in the lobby.

One major thing I did not like about the room was the lighting. It was horrible. There were no windows anywhere, and the lights were oddly placed and not bright. There was a huge lamp on one of the coffee tables, and I had to get my husband to bring it over to the bathroom counter so I could do my makeup and so he could shave. The lighting in the bathroom was also terrible. I could hardly see what I was doing when I was trying to shave my legs. In fact, most of the hotel besides the lobby was quite dark and dim, almost gloomy. The only good thing about the lack of windows was that the bedroom was pitch dark at night time.

We woke up on Saturday morning and went down to the restaurant for breakfast. When we went back to our room, our keys didn't work. My husband went to the front desk to ask them to reactivate it. They didn't even ask him for ID or his name, and reactivated the card. I would think this might not be the safest thing to do. Anyone could theoretically get access to someone's room this way. They should absolutely be asking for your name when reactivating your room key.

There is a restaurant, Aalto's, and two bars in the hotel. We had breakfast at the restaurant both days we were there (not included). The buffet was not great. The pancakes seemed old and kind of stiff. Ordering off the menu was a much better choice; the food tasted much better. The hash browns were great.

The hotel also has a pool with water slides, which would probably be great with kids, but we did not use them at all.

The location is fine as Portage isn't very big. It's at the "end" of town, but that's only about 5 minutes from the beginning of town.

The hotel isn't that great, but isn't horrible, either. It could be much better if they just put in a little more effort.

Directions: West end of town on Saskatchewan Avenue.

Nearby Canad Inns Portage la Prairie

• Fitness Center
  • Business Services
  • Free High Speed Internet

Portage La Prairie Travel Forum

Need advice about Portage La Prairie, Canada? Visit the Travel Forum for Portage La Prairie and ask our Answer Gurus.

Portage La Prairie Travel Guide