Best Western Charter House Hotel Downtown Winnipeg

Tags

Road Trip Seniors Business Travel
See Amenities

Treating people poorly

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 1, 2008

This would have to be the worst treatment I have ever encountered at a hotel. I arrived and got the keys to my room. The lady at the front desk asked my to write my car plate number on a card and sign it to get a parking pass. ( nothing else was written on the car besides my name and the plate number and my signature) I signed and when on to my room. I had reserved my room through expedia and reserved a room for 3 with two beds. Got up to my room and it was a one bed room. called front desk and she offered to switch my room. still having all our stuff in the first room I went down to the front desk for the new keys. went to the second room and the door was open and still needed to be cleaned. ( not to mention we arrived at 3:30 in the afternoon) I asked the chambermaid how long it would take and she started getting angry and said it won`t be for awhile because she had a few of other rooms that needed to be done beforehand. I then went back to the first room and callled the front desk again and offered to stay in the first room as long as they had a cot sent up.. Went out for a few hours. My boyfriend and I returned waiting for our friend ( 3rd person registered to this room) to come back and go get something to eat. Then our friend called from down in the lobby and asked if he could come up to the room. Asked me if I could tell the front desk clerk. The clerk came on the phone and I said he could. The clerk started saying that the room was registered for one person only I said thats not what it was supposed to be. He then let him come up only to be excorted by the hotel security. The hotel security then barged into my room and notice there was three of us and then called down to the front desk and then telling us that two of us had to leave. Finding this ridiculous I went down to the front desk and asked the night front desk clerk to explain to me what was going on. He said that he had every right to refuse anyone coming in. I explained to him that he was allowed to be there and the front desk clerk started shouting at me in front of other guest saying that I was only allowed one person in the room and it was only a one bed room. I told him no thats not what I asked for and he continuousley kept arguing with me. He then slapt down the card with my plate number and said `see it says one bed one person. As I said before there was nothing written on the card beside the things I mentioned. I told him that was not on there when I signed it then he started shouting even louder`ARE YOU CALLING ME A LIAR, BECAUSE IF YOU ARE YOU CAN PACK AND LEAVE`` being as it was past midnight I didnt say anything after that not having anywhere else to go. I then proceded to go back to my room and the security guy started shouting `I better not hear a sound coming out of your room or your out, I`ll be watching you guys` I then went up to my room, finding it unfair to be treated this way I decided to pack up call front desk and ask for a refund if we left. They apperently cant do that. I then called expedia and explained to them what was going on and they gladly refunded me the full amount. We grabbed our stuff and headed downstairs to leave. Gave the front desk our keys and asked for the receipt that expedia sent and he handed it to me. We then proceded out the front doors and the security guy was standing outside with one of his friends and as we were walking to the car the security guy started shouting at us `GO BACK TO ONTARIO`We then told them to be quiet. got in the car and drove off. We were at the stop sign to leave the parking lot and the friend of the security guy then came running to our car and kicked the trunk and mad a dent to my car. We then drove off.

I wouldn`t suggest this hotel to anyone unless they don`t mind all the mix up`s, being yelled at by staff, and having your car damaged, and not to mention being treated like a child. I would NEVER stay here again

PS. Looking at the receipt I gave the front desk from expedia it does say 3 people and two beds. Wish I would have noticed that there.

mapakettle's Profile Photo

Great Downtown Hotel

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 26, 2004

Great place to stay. Easy to get in and out of in traffic, and parking lot attached to property. You pay for parking, but with validation sticker, the cost is minimal.

Rooms are wonderful, and each one has a computer with high speed Internet. Again, with a cost, but very reasonable...less than $5 CDN per day.

Unique Quality: Hotel restaurant is just great. Best food for every day eating. Steaks are 'grilled' the way you ask for them. Lunches are step above the 'norm'. Bottomless cups of coffee, and very good quality too.

Nearby Best Western Charter House Hotel Downtown Winnipeg

• Shuttle Service
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Winnipeg Travel Forum

Need advice about Winnipeg, Canada? Visit the Travel Forum for Winnipeg and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Winnipeg hotel reviews

The Forks
Downtown Winnipeg
City Parks
Favorites
Winnipeg's roads will damage your vehicle
Warnings and Dangers
Red light cameras / Speed Cameras combined!
Beaches
Off The Beaten Path
Free peanut
Filipino breakfast
Restaurants
Best wings but a bit expensive
Wing night with a band
Manitoba Legislative Building
Circle of Life Thunderbird house
Manitoba Museum
Things to Do
One Course you have to see
MTS Center