1999 Wellington Ave, Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3H 1H5, Canada

FourPoints.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Costs 21% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• PeterVancouver's Profile Photo

Adjacent to the airport

a clean hotel with friendly staff - everything you would expect of a Sheraton

Unique Quality: Use to have an undercover walk way to and from the airport terminal but unusually the airport moved away some 300 metre from the hotel, rather than the other way around! Normally new hotels move and pop up ion other parts, but in Winnipeg the modern terminal moved a short way up the street. This means the Sheriton cover walkway crosses the street only to go nowhere now.

They run a shuttle bus, but if travelling light you can exit the hotel out the rear entrance and walk through the airport car park into the terminal building. In the winter it can blow through the car park even though its covered by a roof so you need to be well prepared but if travelling with hand luggage it is quicker than waiting for the shuttle.

If you want a snack , VLT's Sports bar is connected to the hotel and they have a good range of light, hot food which can be charged to the room.

Directions: If walking from the airport, exit to car rental area then through into the airport carpark, the hotel can be found in the right hand corner of this car park

More about Winnipeg

Fort GarryFort Garry

Welcoming us from the United StatesWelcoming us from the United States

Sod HouseSod House

English GardenEnglish Garden

Best Long-Term Parking

by eswepe

My husband and I are gong to Churchill in October. We live in Minnesota, so we're just planning to drive to Winnipeg and take the flight to Churchill from there. Can anyone suggest a good, cheap and safe place to leave our car? We will be staying a couple of nights in Winnipeg, so our hotel may be an option, but we're not sure where we'll be staying yet. The airport is also probably an option, but I'm guessing that's expensive. If there are any better ideas we'd love to hear them.

We're also looking for suggestions on the best way to spend a few hours on a Sunday morning. That's the only time we'll actually be free to do things in Winnipeg, but I imagine a lot of things will be closed...

Thanks!

Re: Best Long-Term Parking

by GrumpyDiver

I've been to Winnipeg many times, but have never used the long term parking. The construction is moving along nicely and the parking garage beats what used to be there. Web link to the airport parking site is:

What I do when I book my accomodation, I will ask the hotel about their long term parking. I find a lot of the places that try to attract the overnight traffic prior to heading out on vacation have something available for a week or two - if you can't find it on the web site, the reservation clerk should know. This tends to be more true for the local hotels, rather than the international chains.

Re: Best Long-Term Parking

by Redlats

We live in Winnipeg, and have not found the answer to the "good, cheap and safe place to leave the car". There is a company that offers off-site parking, but it is only a couple of dollars cheaper per day (than the $75 per week that the airport offers). It is a $30 taxi from our house to the airport, so if we are away 4 days or less, we park at the airport, otherwise we park at home and take a taxi each way.

The idea of checking with an airport hotel sound like a good one. There are about five hotels within 1/2 mile of the airport now, and they have big parking lots. You would think that those hotels would offer some sort of parking plan (but living here, I have never checked). Make sure you make it part of your requirements when you book the hotel - an extended parking spot.

In regards to your Sunday morning, that is hard to suggest without knowing how you would spend that time in the Twin Cities. Winnipeg has lots of quiet parks to wander around in - Assiniboine Park for one has a conservatory with tropical plants and a restaurant.

The Forks is Winnipeg's top tourist draw. It is an area downtown which has tourist-type shops and you can wander around the corner of the Red and Assiniboine Rivers and see some of the history behind Winnipeg. But you are right - if you want to do any shopping, malls do not open on Sundays until noon.

If you have more specific questions, get back to me; I can try to answer them.

Travel Tips for Winnipeg

Attractions

by JackieBryan80

My favorite thing about Winnipeg would have to be some of the great attractions that we have here. They include the Forks Market, Lower Fort Garry, and the Legislative Building. The thing I miss the most about Winnipeg when I am away is how friendly most of the people are.

Lots to do

by Redlats

Lots 1. It takes me 10 minutes to get home.

2. In Winnipeg you can afford a pool if you want to do the work.

3. We go on long walks in the summer.

4. Everyone goes camping or to the cottage on summer weekends.

5. Stay tuned for more best things coming later.

Packing List

by Redlats

If you come here in summer, bring some mosquito lotion (expecially if it has been raining).

If you visit in winter, in Winnipeg it is allowed to wear a scarf, mitts and toque (see even the BSB's wear toques). In Calgary if you wear a toque, you are branded a country hick.

Fishing further up north!

by guybert

If you really want to catch some fish that are somewhat bigger than the last picture, the place to go is most anywhere up in northern Manitoba. There are many lakes all over that have excellent fishing, all you need is a boat, motor and a fishing license.
Some of the big ones will give you a good fight before you can get them into the boat.

Aurora Borealis

by Redlats

Lay on a lawnchair and look way up into the sky. We have only seen the Northern Lights a few times in the past few years, but Sep 11th, 2005 was a great night for them.

I apologize for the darkness of the pictures. I had to come into my house to read how to take night-time photos on my digital camera and find my tripod. The maximum I can set my camera shutter open is for 15 seconds, and it wasn't long enough.

Comments