Greenwood Inn Winnipeg

More about Winnipeg

VolunteersVolunteers

Arch viewArch view

Horned GrebeHorned Grebe

The Forks on a balmy spring day (oh so long ago..)The Forks on a balmy spring day (oh so long ago..)

Road Trip- Hotel Age Question

by babybadoo

My boyfriend and I are hoping to travel to Winnipeg for a couple nights because we've never been to Canada and Winnipeg is the closest big city to where we are right now (central Minnesota). Of course, we will need to rent a hotel room. I'm 19 years old, however, he's 17. Is it possible for us to rent a hotel room together, even though he is under 18? I know around where I live, or in my home town actually, if there's someone under 18 in the room we can both be thrown out. Is it the same in Winnipeg? I really hope not...

by YVRDave

I think CANADA may not let him in at that age without parental OK so the hotel question may be moot.

by Pomerol

The above poster has a point:

"Any person under the age of 18 and traveling alone should carry a letter from his/her parent or guardian authorizing the trip. Travelers without such documentation may experience delays at the Port of Entry."

Assuming you get through (and you should really because you are not the first young couple coming to visit Canada), you should have no problem booking a hotel room as long as you have a valid CC or enough cash to cover the cost. This being said, if you check into at a B&B run by people frowning on fornication, you may be denied access. But quite honestly, I've never heard of it...recently

Enjoy your time in Canada

by YVRDave

Richard, it depends on the participants.

by babybadoo

Thank you for your answers! Yes, we had seen that he probably would need a parental consent letter, and his mother is completely OK with us going together so that would be no problem. We are looking to probably stay at the Marlborough Hotel because it's cheap and seems to be a neat location and place (I've read some bad reviews, but for two young people who just want to get away, I'm ok with not getting an amazing hotel). Hopefully all goes well, and we are excited to visit our neighbors to the north! :)

Travel Tips for Winnipeg

Don't eat yellow snow.

by anthonyk_77

Winnipeg (and Brandon) have open true blue skies like no other place I have ever seen. Summers are hot, yet not too humid, and the mosquitoes, though plenty, are big enough to see and kill before they get you. I miss 7-11 slurpees. Winnipeg is officially the slurpee capital of Canada (perhaps the world?)

Most of my pictures are taken...

by lois_lane

Most of my pictures are taken in the Winter as my summers at home on the farm were spent working on my parents Strawberry, Raspberry and Saskatoon farm. They also had beef cattle and a section of cereal crops. Then because they had so much free time on their hands, Mom started making Jam.

Packing List

by moor0378

If you are going in the winter, bring a warm winter jacket, gloves, a scarf and a toque (winter wool hat). Boots are also helpful to navigate thru the snow!
In summer, temperatures can reach 40 C, so bring shows and a tank top and sunscreen. There can also be extreme summer storms with sudden downpours. Have an umbrella with you in case. There are many drug stores where you can pick up just about anything you forgot! There are many great camping places, but be sure to bring mosquito repllant or you will be bled dry!

Fishing close to home!

by guybert

Fishing is also a popular sport around our area. Many people go fishing on the Red River for Pickerel, Catfish or the occasional Sturgeon if you're really lucky. Most others go to the many lakes & rivers in the area to try their luckat catching a big one.

If you have a bike in...

by Willem_oa

If you have a bike in Winnipeg, there are some rough trails down by Assiniboine Park along the river. (Known by locals as 'The Monkey Trails')

These trails can also be found down by the river along Crescent Drive.

There is a paved bike/footpath from the Forks to the Legislative Grounds by the river as well.

Comments