Howard Johnson Winnipeg

Mourning CloakMourning Cloak

Leo Mol Sculpture GardenLeo Mol Sculpture Garden

moving to winnipeg

by dewdney

I'm thinking of moving from Calgary to Winnipeg . Recently visited and had some concerns about the city, ie; employment, crime, etc... I can handle the cold, but what is the quality of life really like. Is there a lot of rational tension between the native and non-native population. Downtown did seem a bit bleak with a disenfranchised, drunks hanging around. Although Calgary has its share of the same problem (maybe less visible). As well, can anyone give me an idea of what Winnipeg is like for artists?

by Redlats

These type of questions are a bit difficult. On the whole, I would say Winnipeg quality of life is good. Our traffic and housing issues are minor compared to Calgary's. While we don't have the Flames (I miss the Jets), we have a vibrant arts community - lots of theatre, dance and music groups - both professional and amateur. I'm not part of the artist community, so I cannot speak to it, but we have our funky neighbourhoods.

I'm not sure how to discuss the racial tension. There are a lot of First Nations people in Winnipeg (I think I read it may be 15%, but that is going by memory, so don't quote me). On the whole, they are hard working stiffs like you and I. But there are some who are drunks. There is always some panhandling on downtown streets.

Calgary has the advantage that downtown is where most of the office space is -- that was not the case for Winnipeg. Winnipeg is working at attracting more people downtown. New office buildings, the baseball park, the hockey arena have all moved downtown. Most of the clubs are downtown, so Winnipeg is working at livening up the core.

You would not be the first Albertan to come to Manitoba. There seem to be a lot - many of them returning. Good luck with your decision.

by dewdney

Thanks for your thoughtful comments on the city of winnipeg. I noticed when I visited that the downtown seems to be going through a revitalization...it has so many great qualities. I'm keen to move there , but my hubbie doesn't share my enthusiasm.

Thanks for the feedback

by Babzz

We just moved to Winnipeg from Toronto in September. We received countless warnings and negative comments about Winnipeg prior to coming here. So far we have been very pleased with our experience. Downtown does seem a bit sketchy and dirty, but where do you plan to live? We live well out of the downtown area and have no concerns about safety. It really just depends on the area you're in. Even downtown has its nice areas, the forks are lovely, and Osborne village is really artsy. There are lots of great restaurants here too if you're a foody. Good luck with your decision!

Travel Tips for Winnipeg

It is difficult to say where...

by AngelDivine

It is difficult to say where you 'must' go in a city such as ours. Winnipeggers are known for their friendly nature. I often see our city as being an oasis in the middle of a desert expanse. The unending fields meet somewhere in the distance with a clear sky. The high rise buildings of Winnipeg's windy corner (Portage and Main) break the neverending prairie sky. In the city centre, the night life is alive and well for anyone interested in dancing 'til the wee hours. The exchange district is probably the most interesting part of the city, filled with history and beautiful buildings. What I miss when I am away from Winnipeg is the trendy, friendly and extremely accepting folks you find in parts of the city like Osborne Village, where the street is lined with unique boutiques and shops, not to mention my favourite, a terrific British style pub called the Toad in the Hole. Also, I love the laid back attitude found in the people and places on Corydon Avenue, which is cluttered with Italian style outdoor cafes and lounges, and also where you can get the best gelati ever made at Nucci's!

FYI: certain areas of the...

by eleanorbueza

FYI: certain areas of the city are popular for certain cultural groups (i.e., the Maples is populated mostly by Filipinos and Indians), thus you'll always be able to find small grocery stores that sell imported food products. Lots of East Indian and Chinese stores around.

Spectator Sports

by Redlats

There is quite the choice of spectator sports in Winnipeg. The Blue Bombers (Canadian football), the Moose (hockey, the AHL) and the Goldeyes (baseball, Northern League).

It is too bad that the city lost the Winnipeg Jets NHL hockey team, but at the prices of the tickets, it was inevitable. What I don't understand is that we have lost a basketball team and a soccer team in the past 10 years as well.

Baseball and minor league (AHL) hockey are doing well. The baseball park is now about 8 years old, and just got renovated recently to add seats. The hockey arena is brand new as well (and downtown).

Our family has been going to football games for 35 years (season tickets) but we only attend baseball and hockey about once a year.

Kanola Fields

by Jillworld

Manitoba is a prairie province and I have always loved this summer sight. Cheerful yellow kanola fields, stretching as far as the eye can see. This particular field is also dotted with honey bee boxes.

I Missed Out

by Diana_Rae about The Beach, Kokonut Club, Buffalo Bills, Tijuana

When you go on vacation, you can't get to everything, so here's some clubs that were recommended by some of the great people I met while in Winnipeg.
The Kokonut Cub, The Beach, and the Tijuana Yacht Club are all tropical themed. The Beach is always hoppin', and Tijuanas is great for Thursday and Friday nights.
Buffalo Bills has a Tuesday night party, and the Chocolate Shop is great for karokee every night of the week. The Empire has a latin night on Thursdays, but the real party is Friday night.

Comments