The Algonquin Resort St. Andrews by-the-Sea, Autograph Collection

See Amenities
850prc's Profile Photo

The Grand Old Lady

by written on November 29, 2009

In all candor and openess - we did NOT stay in St. Andrews. Our visit was for only a few hours, we were on our way from St. George on back to Bangor, ME. However, in the interest of providing some accomodation guidance to VT readers, I will post this "tip" concerning the Algonquin. Much of what I say will be second hand information, passed on to me by a couple we met during our lunch at the Train Station Inn over in Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia. They'd stayed at the Fairmont.

And one other comment... IF I were staying in St. Andrews, I would probably go over to the terrific bbcanada.com site. There are several very nice bed and breakfasts listed for the St. Andrews area. The only time that I might consider doing the Fairmont would be in the off-season, where you can truly get an excellent value. So, I guess the next time I'm spending January time in New Brunswick (brrrr), I might go Algonquin. :)

The Fairmont Algonquin has been in the resort hotel business for well over 100 years. It's a five-star luxury property with all of the usual five-star amenities... spa, sports clubs, fine dining, golf etc. I'm told that the bellhops actually wear tartan kilts, in keeping with the Scottish character of the "St. Andrews" name.

The rich and famous are more than likely to hole up at the Algonquin, should they find themselves in St. Andrews. Prince Charles and Princess Diana were guests before that whole fairytale came unraveled.

I did a bit of research on rooms and prices, just in case you'd like to know. The rooms range in size from standard (350 sq feet) to the suites, which are approximately 900 square feet. The suites are an incredibly good deal in the off season. For example, you can book bed and breakfast accomodations in January or February in a suite for less than C$200 per night. Regular rooms are barely C$100 that time of year. However, as the days get longer and the glorious summer beckons, that suite will approach C$450 per night for the same plan.

So like I say, depending on the season - the Fairmont Algonquin may or may not be the place you want to stay.

easterntrekker's Profile Photo

A bit of old world elegance

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 6, 2007

We enjoyed this grand old hotel . The service was great and it was fun to stay in such a grand old resort hotel which was built in the 1800's.

There were all the amenties like a huge heated pool , poolside service , a golf course a wonderful bar and restaurant.

It was a bit more expensive then many of the other hotels but it was wonderful for a little break and at $140.00 a night I couldn't complain.

3 Photos of The Algonquin Resort St. Andrews by-the-Sea, Autograph Collection

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Saint Andrews Travel Forum

Need advice about Saint Andrews, Canada? Visit the Travel Forum for Saint Andrews and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Saint Andrews hotel reviews