Saint George Hotels

• 850prc profile photo 850prc
  • Reviews: 1195

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

L'Etete Schooner House Bed & Breakfast: Spend some time with Deenie and Gil

We chose to use B&Bs exclusively on our Atlantic Canada vacation. As in most other cases, I found the L'Etete Schooner house in St. George, New Brunswick via the fantastic www.bbcanada.com website. I can't recommend exploring that site enough, it's your key to finding the best B&Bs all over Canada - especially in areas less known to tourists.

L'Etete Schooner is a tiny B&B housed in a 160 year old bayfront home. Lovingly restored and maintained by Gil and Deenie Wilson, they offer three comfortable upstairs rooms for your pleasure. The rooms are tastefully furnished, and offer plenty of space - especially the larger Captain's Quarters. The price can't be beat, you're basically looking at about C$130 per night or so.

It is a bed and BREAKFAST, so let's talk about the morning meal. Deenie (who basically runs the place) is an excellent cook, and she makes a fantastic breakfast. I sometimes fear that we disappointed her by only eating six or seven pancakes each. :) She's clearly the kind of lady who loves to see hungry people enjoying breakfast. One morning, we had scrambled eggs, bacon, toast and coffee. There was always a pitcher of freshly squeezed juice waiting for us, too. On another morning, we had french toast with Deenies hot blueberry sauce as an accompaniment. Once again, we had a big plate of excellent bacon (we LOVE bacon), along with our coffee and juice. The only disappointment at breakfast belonged to Deenie - I think she wanted to see us eat more, more, more. Now, we did a fine job, we put away the grub with gusto. But like I say, Deenie wants to see people enjoy her food.

PLEASE ADD THIS NOTE ONTO THE DIRECTIONS BELOW. (I'm a victim of the character count). Finding the L'Etete can be a bit of a challenge. If you follow my directions below, you'll be all right - but be advised that the Mascarene Road drive is curvy and a bit extended.... something like 15 km or so. Look at photo 5. This is a little church that's about 300 meters ahead of the L'Etete Schooner. When you see this little church on the left side of the road, slow down and glue your eyes on the right for the Schooner. :)

Let me sum it up by saying... "the personal touch". Deenie is the type of person who will bond with some of her visitors. We clearly were the type of people she likes - informal and easy-going.

Deenie and Gil actually own a couple of sweet dogs, which they keep carefully sequestered away from guests' eyes and ears. They realize that not all B&B visitors are pup-friendly. She found a perfect match in our daughter Sara - who LOVES animals. We made it clear to Deenie that we didn't mind a bit if her pups joined us from time to time in the house. Knowing that we love animals as much as she does made us favorites of Deenie from the very start. It was clearly a visit preordained. :)

And, if you love peace and quiet, on a scenic setting - L'Etete Schooner is your place. PLEASE SEE MY SEPARATE L'ETETE TRAVELOGUE FOR MORE PHOTOS OF THIS TERRIFIC BED AND BREAKFAST.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average