All Seasons Inn & Restaurant

1015 Main St., Sussex, E4E 2M6, Canada

More about Sussex

Commemorating a Crimean War officerCommemorating a Crimean War officer

Looking into the valley from Prescott HillLooking into the valley from Prescott Hill

The stone Ward's Creek bridge in downtown SussexThe stone Ward's Creek bridge in downtown Sussex

A rare Elm tree in Sussex, on Pleasant AvenueA rare Elm tree in Sussex, on Pleasant Avenue

Travel Tips for Sussex

Picturesque Covered Bridges

by Bwana_Brown

Sussex is known as the 'covered bridge capital of Atlantic Canada' because there are 16 of these bridges located within Kings County and 8 of these bridges are within a ten minute driving distance of the town. The Kennebecasis valley has long been a preferred route for travellers between Saint John and Nova Scotia because of the natural shelter it provided as compared to the still rough and unsettled land between there and the frigid coastline along the Bay of Fundy. Part of that road network consisted of covered bridges, also known as 'kissing bridges', which were designed to keep the weather off the floor boards in order to prolong their life. During the winter, snow was spread on the floor to make it easier for sleighs to continue their journey. This particular bridge is located just on the outskirts of town and is known by its official Department of Transportation name of Kennebecasis #7.5 or as the 'Salmon' bridge by locals. It was built in 1908 and has a length of 112-ft (34-m). It was retired from service in 1985 when a concrete bridge was built beside it and the covered bridge now serves as a tourist stop with a small picnic area at one end. It was at this spot that I was canoeing with my father in 1975 (after returning from Zambia) when we spotted a Great Horned Owl in a large pine tree being harassed by a flock of Crows. My 3 years marvelling at the many plant and animal sights I had seen in Africa had awakened in me a desire to pay more attention to the natural surroundings of my home province, and it was after that Owl sighting that I took up bird-watching as one of my life-long pleasures!

In addition to the wooden covered bridges, ornate granite-constructed bridges were the standard design (1951-55) when they struck the fancy of the new Provincial Chief Bridge Engineer. Sussex happens to have one of them, at the Ward's Creek crossing in the middle of town (2nd and 3rd photos). I have always admired their beauty as well, just a bit more class than today's standard concrete and steel structures.

Snowmobiling trip!

by marcoparco

"And we were off......"

On March 18th at 7:30 am I departed with 5 fellow sledders to head to Sussex New-Brunswick, Canada. This is a one hour drive or so from my home town of Fredericton. We loaded our sleds on the trailers and we were off! Why drive an hour to go snowmobiling you ask???? Why not go from Fredericton? Well simple answer, WE DO NOT HAVE ANY MORE SNOW!!!hahaha. In Sussex they were apparently still avidly sleddin'.

Although very early we were all primed to get going. We ended up being on the trails by 10:30 or so. Finaly I was out on the open trails with nothing to worry about, except all the potential DEER that were thinking about jumping in front of me! Lunkily we only saw a few running later on.

"The Trails"

The trails conditions turned out to be exceptionnal. Sussex still had about 3 feet of snow on the ground. Luckily they had groomed all the trails the night before. For those who have never been before....snowmobile trails are composed of old roads, clear cut areas and so on. It is truly beautifull back country!

Comments