208 Kenmount Road, St. John's, A1B 3P2, Canada

The Bubble!The Bubble!

a big ol' fire on Feild Streeta big ol' fire on Feild Street

Pippy Park Trailer Park

by Vilmad

We (couple with a 22 year old son) will be visiting St. John's, Newfoundland at the end of August. We are flying into St. John's and will be renting a car. My son moves into university residence on September 1st. We thought of camping three nights at Pippy Park Trailer Park campground(without a tent). However, we will be carrying our sleeping bags in our suitcases and would like to sleep under the stars. The other 3 nights will be spent at a B&B.

1) What kind of weather does St. John's usually have around 29th August?
2) Is Pippy Park campground safe for tourists and campers?
3) How crowed or how deserted is the campground at the end of August.

Any assistance in providing information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Vilma

RE: Pippy Park Trailer Park

by dennyo

NL has a high percentage of days, even in summer, with early morning mist or fog. Even on clear days, there is a lot of dew so camping with no tent is really roughing it.

Re: Pippy Park Trailer Park

by susanbutt

No promises abou the weather anytime of year. My advice would be to bring an outfit suitable for every season. You are coming at a very nice time of year, probably the nicest. But it will likely still be chilly and damp during the night. I wouldn't worry about sleeping out being unsafe, as much as cold. The end of August is a popular time for camping as it's around labour day weekend, but don't worry about being overcrowded. Anytime we've gone camping, there's alwasy lots of sites available.

Travel Tips for St. John's

Cape Spear

by tvor

Ok, everyone else has mentioned it so i will too. Cape Spear is the easternmost point of North America and is about a 20 minute drive from ST. John's. There is a newish lighthouse and an old lighthouse, a little visitor center and the remains of an old battery with a WW2 gun that faces outward to guard against German ships and submarines. We saw a trio of foxes there the day we went, not really tame but the weren't that afraid of the tourists either. Pretty spot.

Get outdoors and take...

by sirpantsalot

Get outdoors and take advantage of the activities availiable. In the winter you can go skiing - downhill and cross-country - snowshoeing, snowmobiling. Sea Kayaking. I am the one in back with the white ball cap.
While in Goose Bay a special feature is the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis) which perform their magic in our skies during much of the year.

The Local News!

by jamiesno

In St. John’s there is a local television station called NTV. They have their studios over on Logy Bay Road. It’s a little out of the way. You can tune in there or at CBC generally around 6:00 pm to get the local news. That will give you a feel for the issues in the area while you are there.

I got to drop by one time and got a quick picture for fun. I am not about to be a news caster anytime soon.

Screech!!!

by dovalyn

We found this out by being on the whale tour. We wanted to know about the drink "Screech" which is supposed to be a local drink of St. John's. Our guide told us that basically it is made out of Jamaican rum that you drink straight out of a shot glass and people are supposed to cringe and go on about it. But it's your local lore. My friend Beatrice and I drank it like pros and the rum that he had was actually quite tasty and smooth. So if you hear about getting "screeched in" by all means try it!

Newfie Jokes Number 2

by jamiesno

A Newfoundlander walks into a bar in Halifax, orders three drafts of Keith's and sits in the back of the room, drinking a sip out of each one in turn. When he finishes them, he comes back to the bar and orders three more.

The bartender approaches and tells him "You know, a draft goes flat after I draw it, it would taste better if you bought one at a time." The Newfoundlander replies, "Well, you see, I have two brothers. One is in Toronto, the other is in Boston, and I'm here in Halifax. When we all left home we promised that we'd drink this way to remember the days we drank together. So I drink one for each o'me brothers and one for myself."

The bartender admits that this is a nice custom and leaves it there. The Newfoundlander becomes a regular in the bar and always drinks the same way. He orders three pints and drinks them in turn.

One day, he comes in and orders two pints. All the other regulars take notice and fall silent. When he comes back to the bar for the second round, the bartender says, "I don't want to intrude on your grief, but I wanted to offer my condolences on your loss." The Newfoundlander looks quite puzzled for a moment, then a light dawns and he laughs, "Oh, no, everybody's just fine." He explains. "It's just that my wife had us join the Pentecostal Church and I had to quit drinking. Hasn't affected me brothers though.

Comments