Extended Stay Deluxe St. John's-Downtown

More about St. John's

Cape Spear BatteryCape Spear Battery

Cabot TowerCabot Tower

Close Up of St. John's HarbourClose Up of St. John's Harbour

Habs 1, Bruins 0 - 2008 NHL Playoffs.Habs 1, Bruins 0 - 2008 NHL Playoffs.

Need Help Immediately !!! Thanks

by ky2

I live in Halifax, and plan to go PEI and St. John's in NFL for a few days. This will be my first time to visit these two cities. How many days will be enough? Or I might just go to one place this year. Shall I take the Acadian Line or take the ferry? Could someone be kindly direct me the routine for my trip and the bus thing? Thanks

RE: Need Help Immediately !!! Thanks

by abbottsc

St. John's is a great city! I suggest just taking in Newfoundland. I assume youre driving, so keep in mind the distances are very long. From North Sydney, youll have to take the ferry to Port aux Basques. Its a 12 hour drive from this town to St. John's. go to the marine atlantic website. you can get buses to the city, but if you have the time, stop over in Corner Brook, or even Gros Morne NAtonal Park en route- beautiful. 5 days in St. john's is good, make sure you check out Signal Hill, Cape Spear and George Street. Another option is to takethe ferry from North Sydney to Argentia. The Boat trip is much longer (14hrs??) but Argentia is only 1.5 hours from the capital. Look into cheap flights from Hali to St. John's - it might wind up being cheaper.
hope this helps

Travel Tips for St. John's

Great Colorful Houses

by jamiesno

Throughout the downtown core of St. John's you will find lots of colorful townhouses. I really like the ones on the battery.

In the picture I got a great shot with a seagull in the picture. These houses are in a very peculiar location to say the least!!!

I think one of the most...

by Waterdog

I think one of the most interesting sites you can visit in St. John's is the Rennie's River Fluvarium located in Pippy Park. This center gives visitors a one of a kind look into the workings of a river. On the lowest level you get to see different parts of the river system - from the shallow stream bed to deep pools and the various kinds fish and insects which live there. Kids will really love looking at all the fish. There are very educational exhibitions in this center. Definitely worth the visit. Icebergs and Salt Water. Especially thrilling is strolling along a beach and catching a grounded iceberg rolling over. I saw this once in a small community called Bristol's Hope. Most of the icebergs around St. John's follow the currents down from Labrador in the spring, drifting past the city. Signal Hill provides a great view of these huge pieces of ice.

Great City View

by jamiesno

This view was taken from the lower parking lot of the Pippy Park Golf complex including Captain's Hill course and Admiral's Green.

You can see in this picture you get a great view of the city, signal hill, the confederation building and the atlantic ocean!

This is only a couple minutes away in car, a huffing walk I can imagine up hill on foot!

Kiss a Cod or...

by CircleSky

I had heard about the Screeching In ceremony before travelling to Newfoundland. This is where newcomers to the island drink a shot of Screech and then kiss a cod fish in order to become true islanders. (This is, of course, all a big joke to the locals.)

While we were on George Street (the only place to go bar hopping) we came across Trapper John's. According to a local, Trapper John's is the place to go to get screeched in. You pay $5 for your liquor, pucker up and then get an official certificate of your screeched-in status. Apparently they do this every night at 10:00 or so.

We arrived later that night and so never tried this - and I'm grateful now that we didn't. The local said that, at Trapper John's, instead of kissing a cod fish, they make you kiss a puffin's arse! Ak! I think I'd rather kiss the fish, thanks. In any case, it might be a funny show to watch the unsuspecting foreigners get initiated!

Newfie Jokes

by jamiesno

You have to be sensative these days about using the word Newfie, it is not politically correct anymore, however in any event Newfoundlanders are famous for the Newfie joke book because thoughout history they enjoyed laughing at each other. Here is an example of a Newfie job and the picture is classic too :-) You will literally see these books in a lot of stores, so for a laugh buy one.

I live here to so I am aloud to laugh at these, hehehehe.

Newfie in Space

There was a newfie and an irishman and a french man that volunteered to go up in a space ship for 10 years. NASA asked each one what they would like a 10 year supply of and the irishman replied "I would love to have a 10 year supply of all the best whiskey!" and then the french man replied "I would love to have a 10 year supply of all the best food in
the world!" and then the newfie replied "Smokes! I gotta have my smokes!" and so then they packed them up and sent them off and then 10 years later they retured. They asked each of them how they liked their
things. the irshman replied "Oh, I was drunk every second night!" and the french man replied "Oh, I ate like a little pig!" and then the
newfie replied "Uh, gotta light?"
-------------------------