St. John's Hotels

Our Members Say

The Angel House: A Heritage Inn

The Angel House is a great little place in St. John's with lots of character. It is a heritage house so I'll warn you as you approach the house be prepared for a sharp turn. Be careful entering the driveway or you'll scrap up against the cement gates then be ready to go straight up a step driveway. Not a good place if you a beginner on a standard.

The beds I can tell you were very comfortable and I really enjoyed my sleep there.

I thought one of the neatest things about this house was out back they have an antique store. It looked like an old shed first but you can actually go in there and by antique items from Newfoundland. I have a picture of it here but you need to go there to appreciate that part.

They gardens are unique and make for a nice place to relax.

I also thought the breakfast was the best. It was the first time I tried Breakfast Casserole and it was very good. I later made it at home and there I done the math, its high in calories but great!! The chef came on and explained to me how she made it, its' a traditional Newfoundland thing.

I guess the owners of the place are also unique in that Russell is a documentary film producer and in the rooms you can watch his films on the history of Newfoundland and Labrador. His partner was also a very nice lady.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Food and Dining, Luxury Travel, Spa and Resort
  • Written September 28, 2006

Angel House

• addadds profile photo addadds
  • Reviews: 1

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

The Guv'nor Inn: Newfoundlands Worst Hotel

My stay at this Inn was disappointing from the very start. Check-in time was supposed to be at 3PM, however, they had not finished cleaning the room. By the time they had "cleaned" my room it was 7PM and I was already late for plans for the evening.

I had requested a non-smoking room, but was told smoking was all that were available. However, when I was waiting patiently for my room another guest who did not have a reservation came to the desk and there were suddenly non-smoking rooms available.

When I finally did get into my room it wasn't great by any means. The room was tiny, old and I guess the cleaning staff had used most of their chemicals in this room as there was still a strong smell of these chemicals lingering in the room.

The bathroom was smaller than normal and both the sink and bath tub had drainage issues and would take 15 minutes to drain the water after the taps were turned off.

The manager offered us breakfast (through an employee) for our inconvenience, but this wasn't something I was willing to do as I had to leave early the next morning. They said they would look into other compensation, but the next morning I was basically told "sorry, too bad". The manager didn't even contact us to apologize, I was just given her business card.

Perhaps the worst hotel / motel / inn I have stayed at in all of North America.

None

• Written July 10, 2006

Park House Inn: Retreat in Heritage - Park House Inn

I was on a regular trip to St. John's for meetings so I continued my exploration of properties in the city of St. John's. I seen a brochure of the Park House and thought it looked impressive and sure enough it turned out to be.

The owner was a nice fellow by the name of Danny. He had recently acquired the property and renovated into the magnificent property it is today. In early December it is off season and I got a special rate for the great Exexutive Suite. This place was extremely comfortable and spacious. There is one entire section that has a fireplace, jacuzzi, tv, dvd player and some chairs and a small couch. Then there is the marbel bathroom area with a huge shower and yet another section at the entrance that included a very comfortable four post bed, a desk with high speed internet, another fireplace and I beleive it was a 50 inch HDTV with dvd player. So I took advantage of that and watch Mr. and Mrs. Smith on it.

I missed breakfast on morning number one but enjoyed the breakfast on morning number two. My stomach wasn't the best but the fruit salad was extremely good. I liked the fact as well at Park House that you can access the kitchen and dining area at any time and then there is the WOW Customer Service experience.

I went to the kitchen for some dishes the first night I needed for ice cream. The next evening all those little extras were there for my use, so there is attention to detail and I got the feeling Danny will certainly meet your request to make sure your stay and just how you would like it.

The Park House is right next to Bannerman Park. It poured down rain during my visit so I didn't explore the park at all.

Built in 1870, Park House is an original example of the Second Empire style of architecture. Home to a number of Prime Ministers, and affluent families, this immaculate piece of architecture now opens its doors to visitors who want to enjoy the environment of a heritage home, with the amenities of modern living.

• Related to: Architecture, Business Travel, Luxury Travel
  • Written December 16, 2005

The Park House at Night

Rendell Shea Manor Bed and Breakfast: Rendell Shea

The Rendell Shea is a heritage home named for St. John's first mayor, Mr. George Shea ( 1902-1906 ), and the only home in this area to survive the catastrophic devastation of the Great Fire of 1892.

I provided an extra picture of the house from that time and it is amazing that it didn't burn down. Literally everything surrounding did burn.

This place is definitely high end. I lucked out and got a room upgrade and my room for $69.00 per night including some very good breakfast. Gaurmet cooking here. I had Eggs Benedict one morning and French Toast another morning.

The manor was four and a half stars. The furniture all looked like it was from Bombay. There was a cool sunroom that would be great in the summer.

The place during my stay was owned by a guy Earle. This is also his home so you will meet him. The place is quiet and they do control the environment a little more than some other places I had stayed around that same time. The kitchen areas and living rooms for example would be locked after a certain hour. They also restricted the place to guest only so probably not the best place for planning meetings in addition to your stay.

The bed I had was super comfortable.

• Related to: Luxury Travel, Business Travel
  • Written November 15, 2005

The Rendell Shea Manor

Everton Hosue: Everton House

I first heard about the Everton House from my brother who stayed there with Kelly one time and mentioned how nice it was. I think I ended up with a smaller version room than he did but it was still really nice. I was in room number 2.

It had a great king sized bed and a nice deep tub. I loved the king size bed and it was extremely comfortable. After this particular trip I don't think I would bother with a hotel again since I had slept so good at some of St. John's Bed and Breakfasts.

There was free wireless internet at the Everton House as well. For breakfast I had a great fruit salad, coffee, lots of orange juice, nice french toast, thick slices of ham and scambled eggs.

If you are travelling on business downstairs they have a newly renovated and funky meeting room. Great for corporate training and meetings.

The owner Roma Edwards lives in a different location. I am sure she is a great lady but I liked being in a nice Bed and Breakfast and having privacy at the same time. Sometimes at a B and B you feel like you should get to know the owners. Sometimes that's nice and sometimes it's just to just hideaway!

It's a 5 star property.

I liked how in the kitchen some food was always around for you to pick at. That made you feel more at home. There were granola bars, muffins and juices in the fridge.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Business Travel, Luxury Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written October 18, 2005

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

At Wit's Inn: I am at wit's end.

I was originally interested in this bed and breakfast because of its catchy name. I thought it was cute. The phrases origins are from the Bible. Psalms 107:27. 'They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man, and are at their wits' end.' To be at one's wit's end means to be 'at the end of one's ideas or mental resources.' If you're at your wit's end, you really don't know what you should do about something, no matter how hard you think about it.

So if your at your wit's end at where to stay in St. John's, Newfoundland. I would suggest right here!

Then I looked up the web site I discovered it was a four star place.

My stay was probably a little different. The owner was out of town during our stay so we didn't get to meet them.

I stayed in Room 2. The high speed wireless internet was convenient and allowed me to write this very tip! The room was spacious with lots of character. I am unsure but it was possibly the most comfortable bed I had ever slept in. Extremely comfy bed and several notches above your standard hotel bed. No trouble sleeping quickly here.

You get a parking permit from the Inn that gives you free parking outside the Inn. This is important in downtown St. John's. There is a very nice dining room and continental breakfast there for enjoyment. The main breakfast doesn't start until 8:30 am so we missed it unfortunately! Have to try another time.

If you don't travel with your own computer there is one in the living room downstairs where you can check your email. The phone service is also in this area.

Overall I was very satisfied and will most likely stay here again someday.

It's a Victorian Inn built in 1890.

Located in the heart of old St. John's, you will be only minutes walk away from downtown shopping, restaurants, historic sites and the ever-famous George Street.

They say if you have any special requests, do not hesitate to mention them .

• Related to: Budget Travel, Business Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written October 17, 2005
Tip Photo

Jonah and Jamie at Wit's Inn.

Winterholme Heritage Inn: The Winterholme

Holly and I were fortunate to have my parents take care of Jonah for one night and we got to enjoy the Winterholme. We stayed in the deluxe Oak Suite and we both agreed it was probably the nicest room we had stayed in our lives.

It used to be the old billiard's room in the house so the ceilings and where really high and not your typical bedroom.

After a wonderful night you will be treated to a fine breakfast. I filled myself up on bacon, eggs and toast.

In the room you get a fireplace, a whirlpool, tv, large king size bed and plenty of room. The Oak Suite was unique however in that the bathroom area was all in the same room. So if your on a first date you may not be comfortable having a pee in the same room as the person your trying to impress, LOL.

The Winterholme is also very close to St. John's downtown district. You could easily walk down there and catch a cab back.

• Related to: Architecture, Luxury Travel, Historical Travel
  • Written September 5, 2005

Winterholme Heritage Inn

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Airport Plaza Hotel: Airport Hotel

I have stayed in this hotel a couple of occassions and it is a nice hotel with a dining room and stuff.

But it obviously most convenient if you are just staying for a few short hours and then travelling on for example.

There is a free shuttle service from the hotel.

It is also close to the Stavanger Drive shopping area.

• Written September 30, 2004

Airport Plaza Hotel

• dovalyn profile photo dovalyn
  • Reviews: 73

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Alcove suites and chalet: Looking out into the harbor

Our innkeep John Koop runs a beautifully appointed guesthouse in St. John's. From the outside it looks rather small but once you open the front door and head upstairs, you're in your own wonderland!! I had seen the pictures from his guesthouse but I was amazed on how large a place it was. We had a large bedroom with a king sized bed with lots of space for moving around. The comfort room (bathroom) was adjacent to the bedroom and easily accessible. There was a shower and bath inside of a claw foot tub..
very cute and the two tone colors of green made it a very soothing place to light candles while enjoying your bath. There was a separate living room with Television and a phone (no charges for local calls) comfortable couch and coffee table. The hallway walls were decorated with a huge Tapa cloth hanging that was given to him by his brother in law. Wooden art deco made by a woman, that had visited before and probably a repeat guest, who used his cut birch from his yard to make interesting hangings all along the house. Down the short flight of stairs leading to the kitchen with it's black and white tile floors and neatly kept and colorful knick knacks throughout the kitchen.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written September 3, 2003

• tvor profile photo tvor
  • Reviews: 769

Cantwell House: Nice B&b

There are lots of lovely B&'B's in St. John's, many in old heritage houses. I stayed in Cantwell house in 1997. The house dates to 1893 when it was built/rebuilt after a fire cleared out most of St. John's downtown. They have a lovely lounge upstairs, a large en suite room on the main floor. A couple of upstairs rooms have shared facilities and a couple of rooms have en suite. You wo'nt go away hungry from the vast breakfast laid out!

Heritage building, antiques, view over the east end of the city, steps from a great dairy with excellent ice cream. It's about 10 minutes walk from down town, downhill, which means you hike up to get back to it.

• Written June 2, 2003

• hsm profile photo hsm
  • Reviews: 60

WATERFORD MANOR: WATERFORD MANOR

D: Cdn $80-100
Suite: Cdn $160-180

Victorian style. 3 suites with jacuzzi bathrooms. Sunroom for smoking. Complimentary breakfast, local calls. NO PETS.

• hsm profile photo hsm
  • Reviews: 60

Winterholme: Winterholme

Rates from Cdn $109-$179

Heritage Inn. National Heritage Site.
11 rooms/suites, all with ensuite bathrooms. Suites feature jacuzzi, fireplace, king-size bed. Rooms non-smoking; designated smoking areas. Breakfast/local calls complimentary. Children under 12 stay free. NO PETS.

• MichaelBeech profile photo MichaelBeech
  • Reviews: 10

Des Lenahan's B&B, accessed in...

Des Lenahan's B&B, accessed in Argentia off the ferry is worth the trip just for the channce to stay in this true Newfy home. A bit of a madhouse, but nicer people do not walk the earth. Hope that Gram Ma is still sitting at the kitchen table entertaining the guests while the Sons cook and Des spins tails. Great for Cycle tourists, as the ferry gets in very late and if you let Des know, he'll pick you up in the truck to keep you from having to find the place in the dark.

Des; Gram Ma; the boys, Newfy hospitality and language lessions, a drop of wine.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive