The Battery Hotel and Suites

100 Signal Hill Road, St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, A1A 1B3, Canada

Good For No Data
  • victorwkf's Profile Photo

Hotel with a fantastic view

This hotel is located on the slopes of the famous Signal Hill and has fantastic view of the city (see photo). It is relatively new and the restaurant at the hotel also has a good view while you are dining. Only problem is that it is slightly further away from the city centre.

• jamiesno's Profile Photo

The Battery Hotel and Suites

The Battery Hotel has great food but the dining room is overlooking the city as well as a number of the guest rooms.

Unique Quality: The best view overlooking the city.

More about The Battery Hotel and Suites

Hotels at St John's

by victorwkf

There are several good hotels at St John's (capital of Newfoundland) to choose from but I would recommend either the Quality Hotel Harbourfront or the Battery Hotel & Suites. More information and photos of both hotels are available at my VT St John's page or the following websites:

Battery Hotel and Suites Restaurant

by victorwkf

The restaurant located at the Battery and Suites Hotel of St John's have a fantastic view of the city and harbour. During lunchtime, there are set lunches which are quite affordable. Food of choice include seafood and steaks. My favourite is the crab bisque (see photo) which is very delicious and unique.

check out these old cannons

by crummey

Check out these old cannons. They are on display in front of The Battery Hotel on Signal Hill Road.

Divers salvaged them from a shipwreck.
Ther date from around Queen Anne's War or King Georges War ( 1700-1740).

Cannons like these were used to protect the fishing villages and outports of Newfoundland until the mid-1800's.

no bad experiences

by TripAdvisor Member Vancouver reviewer

My husband and I stayed at the Battery Hotel for a few nights in July 2007. The Battery is by no means a fancy or luxurious hotel, but our experience there was fine. The recent refurbishments are modest to say the least, consisting, as far as we could see, of new paint and flooring in the rooms as well as new beds (very comfortable) and bedding. The overall appearance of the hotel is still pretty tired. On the positive side, the staff were uniformly pleasant and accomodating, our room was clean, and we appreciated the free internet in the lobby. On a negative note, the location is a bit of a hike from downtown, and we would not recommend the restaurant based on one breakfast and one lunch eaten there. St John's has many fine restaurants where you could do much much better.
If we were to visit St John's again we would likely stay somewhere a bit more upscale and closer to downtown.

Home of the Million Dollar View

by TripAdvisor Member LizOntario

We travelled by car from Toronto, Ontario leaving on September 22, 2007 and travelled to St. John's Newfoundland arriving at the Battery Hotel on Sept. 25, 2007. We stayed in a Suite at this hotel for 3 days and from our Suite we had a beatiful view of the City. We found the rates for the suites very reasonable at $130.00 including taxes; although they were in the older part of the hotel. The suites had 2 T.V. sets, 2 bedrooms with a king size bed in the one and a double bed in the other, microwave, toaster oven, fridge, table and two chairs. The hotel was also very clean and they had a beautiful dining room overlooking the city and the harbour.

Such a disappointment

by TripAdvisor Member crystalnl

We stayed at the Battery Hotel in a smoking room. First of all I should say that I have always held the impression that the Battery was a "nice" hotel...however due to its location I have always opted to stay in areas more central to town (as I am from out of town and not entirely familar with the area). This past weekend however my desire to stay there finally won out against location..... The room itself was a disaster! there were burn holes in the carpet, furniture, etc....it was as if the hotel owner felt that all smokers would ruin carpeting, furniture, etc...and said "why bother to update these rooms". This is in stark contrast to other smoking rooms that I have stayed in other hotels in St. John's - (I am not a smoker personally but my spouse is) so I have on occassion stayed in smoking & non smoking rooms in the same hotel - I found no difference in the quality of the room. At the battery however it seemed like no care or thought was put into what the room condition was.
As for cleanliness....the bathtub was ridiculous...there was actually grime on the sides of the tub and the drain in the tub was rusty and discusting.
While there we went to the bar for a drink...the view of the harbour from the bar is fantastic....however I was apalled that when the bartender prepared my Tom Collins she used her fingers (without washing her hands first) to take out the cherry and lemon wedge to put in my drink....the same fingers she had just used to pass change back to my friend from her drink.
I can't tell you how disappointed I was...the Battery looks, on the outside, like a lovely hotel.....however my thoughts about this hotel just goes to show that you can't judge a book by its cover.
I was just advised that I have a work function at the Battery in a few weeks and that rooms have been booked off for us there....I felt strongly enough about my last stay however that I am requesting to stay somewhere else.

The best view of St. John's

by TripAdvisor Member Alwe

I booked this hotel based on a recommendation of a Newfoundlander at home and was very pleased overall. The view from our window overlooking the harbour was breathtaking and rewarded our stay. We loved the sleeping accommodations, room service, friendliness of the staff at all levels. Coffee in the room, fresh linens and prompt service all helped to make us comfortable. We also took advantage of the free internet to check on e-mail, travel and weather information.
We ate breakfast at the restaurant with wonderful view of St. John's. We also had some meals in the evening. The food was adequate, though we would have liked something other than dried up scrambled eggs for breakfast occasionally. Breakfast was a little boring and unimaginative.
The bar would be a wonderful venue if the service and range of options was a little better. For example, we were unable to obtain Iceberg Vodka or Gin, a Newfoundland specialty. We also would have expected a hotel of this class to be able to offer Espresso.
We have enjoyed our whole trip to Newfoundland and have gained an understanding of the possible difficulties presented by the very short season for tourism. We believe this may affect the options available. We do thank you for your welcome and would recommend this hotel to anyone inquiring about accommodations in St. John's.

very sincerely

Almuth Weigeldt, Toronto, Ontario
almuth@rogers.com
and
Dr. med. Ina Weigeldt, Bremen, Germany

over all satisfied,, hotel with good promise,, with a little more work

by TripAdvisor Member bussy704

generally satisfied,, very friendly, clean,good food, excellant view,,furnishings needed an up grade,also would have enjoyed, a/c,,,very disapointed, that they did not have any handicapp supports in baths, and toilets,, staff very helpful,,
we would return,, we stayed 14 days