Fresh Start Bed and Breakfast

2720 Gottingen Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia, B3K 3C7, Canada

More about Halifax

Peggy's covePeggy's cove

Angus L. Macdonald BridgeAngus L. Macdonald Bridge

My wife and I at the alehouseMy wife and I at the alehouse

A different kind of "cure cancer" campaignA different kind of "cure cancer" campaign

McElvy's Restaurant

by AtlanticCanadianeh

Is this place any good to eat at?

by Pomerol

Yes it is, just like many others on or near the waterfront. Try their chowder.

by pieter_jan_v

Looks OK on their website: http://www.mckelvies.ca/

Somehow I haven't visit the restaurant yet. Well. I'll do that a next time.

BTW Here's you chance to win a free dinner for 2:

PJ

by AtlanticCanadianeh

Well, we're in at 6PM Valentine's Day. It just kind of scares me that we couldn't get a reservation ANYWHERE but there. I will post a review following our dinner.

by pieter_jan_v

More than 400 restaurants in the Halifax area and there's only space in 1 restaurant at Valentine's Day?

PJ

by easterntrekker

I'm surprised you can get a reservation at McKelvey's . Its pretty popular and the food is usually pretty good .( Valentine's is an important day to halagonians Ha!!) We've been there many times. They have a wonderful seafood platter.

by AtlanticCanadianeh

Well, it was AWESOME! Orders were for the peppercorn steak (9/10 - me), New York Striploin, said it was terrific, the wife had the striploin also and said it was great, another couple had the seafood special for the evening, which consisted of lobster thermidor, salmon, and shimp. It looked great and I kind of wished I had ordered the same. The server was very prompt, polite and we enjoyed him as much as he seemed to enjoy us. The only drawback I could speak of, and this is very minor, but the oysters in the half shell were $3 each. At home, I can get about 50-60 for $15. They were terrific, definitely from PEI, and when everyone ordered desert, I ordered more oysters. LOL!

The wife says "GET THE CHEESECAKE!"

I give McElvy's a definite 9 out of 10.

Budget? Six adults, app's, 2 bottles wine (Chilean Shiraz), desert, tip: $450.

NOT BAD.

by easterntrekker

Happy you enjoyed it . Moncton has super restaurants .We love stopping at the Fisherman's Paradise...I especially love the desserts and rolls . Used to live in Moncton many years ago.

Travel Tips for Halifax

Explore the city

by wreckloose

Take the time to walk around the city, especially on the nice sunny days. We were there during the week of Halloween so it was pretty cold most of the time, but we were fortunate enough to catch a break with the weather and we made the most of it. The people in this city are some of the friendliest you will ever meet. Definately one of the fondest memories I have of the city. Oh and winning a bunch of money from the casino. haha.

The great blue(or)green!?

by Katiebeaver

If you have never been to Halafax you must see the water! And if you see the water you must swim in it! The waves are so big and the water tastes like $#!* I mean it tastes like salt!No really the waters fun and you float more than usual I miss swimming! my aunt and cousin!

visit the citadel historic...

by orke

visit the citadel historic site - very interesting and fun

visit the maritimes museum (dont remember the name atlantic something i think) about ships and stuff

visit the public gardens

There is alot to see in Nova...

by Vanislander

There is alot to see in Nova Scotia, unfortunately I only spend 2 days here and my film was mostly lost :( The number one place I enjoyed was the Cabot Trail in Northern NovaScotia, cliffs and water it was beautiful. Hopefully one day I can return to get more pics to make up for the ones I lost.

When going yo Halifax, you...

by guybert

When going yo Halifax, you have to find time to see all the sights & do all the touristy thinks. Their is a lot of Canadian history in the area that you would not see in most other parts of the country. My fondest memory of Halifax is to be able to sit outside at street bars to have some lunch & a mug of beer. We have some beautiful sunny fall weather most of the time we were there, it made it very enjoyable.

Comments