Halliburton House Inn

5184 Morris Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia, B3J 1B3, Canada

The Halliburton
Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Worst Boutique hotel EVER!!!

This hotel is totally overated...we would never recommend this lodging to anyone!! Guests need to be advised PRIOR to booking here, that there is a constant stream of semi-trailer traffic, travelling along Morris Street, to the waterfront ...ALL NIGHT LONG ..This is basically on the front door of the Halliburton Hotel. As well, city workers revving up their hydraulic crane on the roof of the building directly across from the hotel at 7 AM each morning, added insult to injury.
    After 2 nights of absolutely NO SLEEP, we asked to be moved to a unit off Morris St. This request was fullfilled and we actually had one night of restful sleep. That left us ONE DAY out of the 3 spent in Halifax, to sightsee. Unfortunately,our first 2 days were spent sleeping, during the daytime hours!!!
    The complimentary breakfast was alright.. though we are still wondering what was with the crockpot with canned beans???!!!
    Our party of 3, required 2 rooms. Fortunately, one room was located at the rear of the property and the noise factor was not a problem. However, we had hoped that we might be offered some restitution, given the $1238 we spent on substandard accomodations. The manager was well aware of the problems encountered the first 2 nights in our Morris street room.

Directions: Morris Atreet, the route taken by semi-trailers for delivery to waterfront!!!

• Second Degree Scald burn in shower of Room 202

I received a warm welcome to the well located hotel.
    Its details were not of the boutique standard I had expected but it was cozy.

I was showering and a sudden temperature change (presuming a neighbouring room flushed their toilet) made me react by turning off the shower to the faucet. When I did that I ended up scalding my knee and leg under the flow of the water. The hotel was, in my opinion, ill-equiped to handle the situation. They offered some gauze from a first aid kit and didn't offer to assist me otherwise. Since I could not dress with the burn exposed, I asked that someone go to a pharmacy for me to get supplies of gauze pads and tape and they accommodated.

The manager didn't contact me for the remaining 40 hours of my time in Halifax. I contacted him from home days later and got a dismissive reply stating that he [could] not recall any guest concerns about the water being excessively hot and basically, that he didn't care to investigate the problem to correct it.

Thank god it was fast-moving me in the shower and not my elderly mother or someone else who could certainly have been critically injured.

So if you're staying at the Haliliburton, take a bath!

• tvor's Profile Photo

Historic center of Halifax

Haliburton House is set in a lovely old house in Halifax right across from historic Government house which is the residence of the Lieutenant Governor of the province and was built in the late 1700's into early 1800. There are only 29 rooms and suites, all en suite facilities, furnished with antiques. Rates vary between Canadian 110 to 250 off season depending on the room to 140 to 350 high season. The top end gets you a suite with a fireplace and whirlpool bath. The lower end is a room with a double bed so price is affordable unless you have a taste for the luxurious!

Unique Quality: Haliburton House is in a trio of heritage houses dating back to 1809 and is just off Barrington Street, which is one of Halifax's main streets so it's close to everything including public transportation. There is an award winning restaurant on the premises as well.

Directions: Head South on barrington street, when you see the cemetery on your right and Government House on your left, turn left straight past GH.

Comments