Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport Hotel

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 24% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Halifax

Staring birdsStaring birds

Peggy's cove lighthouse sunsetPeggy's cove lighthouse sunset

Downtown HalifaxDowntown Halifax

Two unknown victims, RIP April 15, 1912Two unknown victims, RIP April 15, 1912

Best Time to Go

by dmmitch12

My wife and I (seniors) have been to nearly 70 countries but have never been to the Maritime Provinces!! We plan to take a two-week group tour there this fall with Grand Circle Travel and, of course, Halifax is on the itinerary. I would have thought that late September would be ideal but, unfortunately, GCT has only two departure dates that do not include either a pre- or post-trip to Boston/Cape Cod, which we have already done several times before (I went to college in Boston). Those dates are Sept 8 and Oct 6. I know from past trips to Vermont and Boston that leaf peeping is not a guaranteed success but, statistically at least, which of those two dates do you think would be better. Or perhaps there are other considerations that supercede leaf peeping.

Your responses would be most welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan & Ginny Mitchell
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

by GrumpyDiver

The September date is way to early for fall colours. October would be a better date, but even there you might be a week early.

by xymmot

Grumpy is right, October would be better and all the kids are back in school and settle in. Rates are cheaper too.

by dmmitch12

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, we would save $400 by going in October and I assume snow is still no problem - we are Iowans after all :))

by GrumpyDiver

Halifax - it's a maritime climate. In general, if you get snow, it's gone the next day, washed away by the rain. October is generally too early to get any snow.

As a general planning date - in Eastern Canada, somewhere around Canadian Thanksgiving (2nd Monday in October) is usually a good target date for this latitude. The brilliant red, orange and yellow colours are found in Ontario, Quebec and the Atlantic Provinces. You don't get the red when you head further west.

by dmmitch12

Sounds great. Our itinerary is mostly east out of Halifax. Thanks much for all your help. I should warn you though; we recently managed to "bring" snow to Rome for the first time in over 20 years!

by goodfish

Another vote for October, James and Ginny. And a big hi to you fellow Iowans as well - I grew up just down the road in Monticello. :)

by dmmitch12

Don't know when you've been back last but the new highway bypasses Monticello now so I have to confess that it has been many years since I have driven through. Thanks for your response. We have booked the October tour.
Dan & Ginny

by frenchfryflyer

Summer time is great in Halifax if you want to get out and enjoy the culture, but if you are looking for a relaxed vacation early fall is the best season. P.S. here's a tip, In Nova Scotia on September 28th It will rain. It does every year, Plan around it. If you need a good price on flights check out this website : http://www.cheapticketscanada.com/flight/index.php?gclid=CIr2jpblz6ACFUFM5QodqzK20A

by easterntrekker

If its fall colour you are interested in Oct 8th is a better bet. Not sure if you will be in Cape Breton but there is a Festival called Celtic Colours in Oct . Here's the link

The weather is usually very nice and quite warm in Sept however.

by babygrand

Just an add-on note: We don't care if you bring snow, it won't last. October is nice with nice comfortable days and coolish nights. Check the moon chart, the full moon in September will bring the frost that starts the colour changes. And the good news is --- the reds are the rarest colours, but they are also the first. So if the colours are starting, you'll be here for the best of them. With two weeks in just the Maritime provinces, you'll get quite a show, cause even if they're late, they won't be past the middle of October. I hope your trip takes you into Cape Breton and down the south shore at least to Lunenburg/Mahone Bay. Also I hope you get down the Valley shore at least to Annapolis....Digby would be better. And Welcome to Nova Scotia from a born and bred "bluenoser"

Travel Tips for Halifax

USEFUL LINKS and INFORMATION

by pieter_jan_v

Searching for information is rather simple at Halifax: just follow the ?-signs.

Useful links:
Halifax Municipality
Ship tracker

Registered Heritage Properties

by brazwhazz

One of the things I most enjoyed about Halifax was its "Registered Heritage Properties" blue plaques. Affixed on heritage buildings, they instantly tell the traveller the construction year and original name of the property.

I feel it enriched my travelling experience; it made identifying (and remembering) the buildings much easier. I wish more cities used such a system.

Anyway, if you're strolling Halifax's streets, look for the blue plaques!

walking and taking time to see the sights

by davidjoha

The Halifax Citadel is where I would take a visitor first. Not only for the Citadel itself, but for the view of the city and the harbor from its high vantage point. My best memory of Halifax was taking the walking tour so I could take my time to see what I wanted to see. I got the information at the Visitors Center on the waterfront. I especially enjoyed visiting and learning about the churches of the area.

1.Alfredo's wine and Ho...

by cutee

1.Alfredo's wine and Ho restaurant
2.the ice cream parlour on the Halifax boardwalk
3.King of Donairs restaurant (the best donairs in the know world)
4.of course the 'Gazebo'
5.my favorite fishing spot in Spryfield
6.a tour bus trip to PEI, the Annapolis Valley and Peggy's Cove i think my fondest memory would be the PUBLIC GARDENS and the Gazebo. i've been going there ever since i was a child, there a are ducks, swans and birds that make the place wonderful to visit anytime of year. as well as the assorted array of flowers and plants that litter the area. to me it's simply breathtaking and the most beautiful place i have ever been.

Visit the Halifax Citadel

by jedd43

Visit the Halifax Citadel, a National Historic site. It wasn't open when I was there but I got a lot of pictures.

Be sure to view the Halifax Travelogue for more photos. I miss the seafood. I ate Lobster every day in some form. It was delicious!!

Comments