Salmon River House Country Inn

9931 Highway 7, Salmon River Bridge, Halifax, Nova Scotia, B0J 1P0, Canada

More about Halifax

Peggy's covePeggy's cove

Tall Ship paradeTall Ship parade

RIP, an unknown childRIP, an unknown child

My wife slept with Ron WHO?My wife slept with Ron WHO?

6 Hour Layover

by richard48

I have a 6 hour layover during the day at Halifax Airport.
We did the same trip last year and got very bored.
Is there anything we can do locally (I mean in the vicinity of the airport as it is a $45 taxi ride into town)
Alternatively can anyone recommend a restaurant within 10 min ride where we can have a long relaxing lunch before we continue on our journey.

by AtlanticCanadianeh

There's almost NOTHING out by the airport except for a diner/gas bar and a hotel with a lounge. I'd opt for the hotel lounge. There is a shuttle but you have to contact the hotel for pick up. Use the phone located in the hotel phone bank in the main area of the airport just inside the taxi queue. It may be simpler to take a taxi as the shuttle is more for the overnighters and not the eater/drinkers. I doubt they'd give you a hard time though.

There's a casino less than an hour away in Halifax.

by pieter_jan_v

There's a museum close to the airport; see: http://atlanticcanadaaviation.com/loc_hour.htm

PJ

by Redlats

I wonder what a one-day car rental would cost? Rather that using public transport, just rent a car drive yourself around - the rental pick up is right at the airport. The airport is 3/4 hr from Truro and in six hours, you can drive along the Bay of Fundy - perhaps it would correspond to the time the tide is coming in. You would have lots time to find a restaurant and get back with time to spare.

by easterntrekker

Hummm. I have to agree with the other poster...really not much nearby . Not sure when you're travelling but , its dead of winter, not great for a quick site seeing trip . I think the best bet is to have a lunch at the nearby Quality Inn. the food is basic but pretty good and at least you can get out of the airport. There's also a Hilton 4 km away . Maybe you could check with ask if are open for lunch . http://hiltongardeninn.hilton.com/en/gi/hotels/dining.jhtml;jsessionid=HB1VQSYDX5TW0CSGBJBOD4Q?ctyhocn=YHZHGGI

by richard48

Thanks to everyone for your advice.
Looks like its gonna have to be a good book.

by MapleMoose

The shuttle bus goes to the heart of downtown for $18 each way. That would give you 2-3 hours to see a bit and have a meal. If you take it to the Lord Nelson hotel you can find a lot of restaurants and bars nearby. I would recommend Your Father's Moustache right across the street.

by pieter_jan_v

Your Father's Moustache can be somewhat crowdy and noisy (good food though); at the Lord Nelson they have good food next to the bar as well.

PJ

by easterntrekker

Umm. You know the problem with the shuttle is if there are two more it starts getting expensive at least $36.00 each way into town and it will take about an hour each way by the time everyone gets on and off. It really cuts into you're relax time.

Travel Tips for Halifax

Downtown Halifax

by Blatherwick

The downtown area of Halifax contains a number of attractions, Just below the Citadel stand the Old Town Clock. The inner workings of this town symbol arrived in 1803 after being ordered by Prince Edward, the Duke of Kent, who was the commander.

Government house has been the residence of Nova Scotia's lieutenant governor since 1897 but it is not open to the public. Province House is open to the public and it is the home of Canada's oldest provincial legislature. Across from Province House and housed in the restored heriage Dominion Building of 1868, is the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia.

St. Paul's Church was the first Protestant church in Canada. It was first built in 1749. St. Paul's Cemetery (the Old Burying Ground) is the final resting place for 12,000 people from 1749-1844. There is some incredible art on the tombstones.

Downtown Halifax is relatively small compared to that of other cities. Take a walk around and absorb the atmosphere of the city.

went for a few beers, but got a hurricane.....

by richiecdisc

The best thing about Halifax are the people. They are a friendly group and it seems they will talk at length (sometimes more than you like lol) when asked a simple question. It was particularly apparent after the hurricane as each offered up his perceptions of the tragedy. And though in dire straights, you never got the impression that the people were in the least bit down. Just amazing. The drive from Cape Breton to Halifax had been uneventful. All evidence of ensuing Hurricane Juan was non-apparent and it seemed that perhaps we had jumped the gun on leaving the Highlands National Park so hastily. We had a great couple of days there and only warnings of high winds chased us from our tent down to the more structural confines of big city Halifax. We were running a few days ahead of schedule and our reservation at the hostel was useless as we found them completely booked. Forgoing camping, we needed to find some cheap alternative and happened across a simple little Bed & Breakfast in neighboring Dartmouth. The friendly owner explained he was full but was happy to call around to his friends to see if any of them had an opening. As he spoke to one of them, he handed me their brochure and it looked way out of our price range. I spoke with the proprietor and it was indeed a bit too expensive but he seemed willing to negotiate so we went over to have a look at it. I told Doreen to not act too excited, as I knew she would fall in love with the place just from the photos. It was every bit as nice as the brochure promised and with nightfall upon us, we struck a deal that made us all happy. Though it would have been wise perhaps to just eat locally and come back to enjoy our new luxurious digs, I wanted to head into Halifax proper and sample some of the local beers as our time in the city would be limited.

We were at the Rogue’s Roost in no time and the funky pub area was easy to relax in and after a few of their excellent brews, we decided we better eat some food as it was already getting late. The food was quite good and though we would have loved to stay longer, we decided to head back to our new place and just relax for a few hours before bed. (concluded below in Fondest Memory)

The waterfront! Its a must to...

by LeighAnne

The waterfront! Its a must to see in Halifax... the history of where the immigrants entered Nova Scotia's port city with their original names on the walls or the fisherman's museum of lost lives during the storms or the titanic graveyard and museum... Not to forget the amazingly fun bars and shopping of course. My glasses! I lost them while partying there and never to be found again! Was not a good drive home.

You can go to any bar in Halifax alone and end up partying with large groups of people who will become your best friends.

I love downtown Halifax. There...

by jules_rules

I love downtown Halifax. There are so many little shops and interesting places to visit. You can walk along the harbor, stop for a bite, and visit the casino all in one day. I use to visit Halifax every spring with my band, and we'd always stay in the Quality Inn. Really nice place, and pretty much in the middle of everything.

When you've had enough of the...

by Pasquali

When you've had enough of the city, head to the Eastern Shore - Lawrencetown Beach. Great for surfing. My hometown - university days. The really short trips to get to the beaches on the Eastern Shore.

Comments