1725 Market Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia, B3J 3N9, Canada

Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Kaspian's Profile Photo

Prince George Hotel

We received a discount rate for staying at the Prince George because my cousin had booked a block of rooms there for guests of his wedding (the reception was also held there.) I understand the rates are usually much higher. It was nice but if it was regular price it would be way too rich for my blood! Complimentary "National Post" newspapers and things like that...
    Staff was very professional, friendly, and helpful. Many of them looked young and a little gawky, like they were kids wearing their fathers' suits.
    The hotel decor was rich too. I always expected to see a herd of snobby CEO types coming down the hall, but there weren't any to be seen.
    Clean, normal hotel room with bar fridge, nothing extraordinary in the rooms.
    A great central location, right below the Citadel and within easy walking distance of everything major in the downtown/waterfront areas.

Unique Quality: The pool, sauna, and hot tub were fantastic, very clean and well kept. Especially nice after a day of walking in the rain up and down the hills of Halifax harbour.
    There is also a pretty garden terrace on the main floor, which serves as outdoor party reception area, smoking area, or place just to sit. It's charming even though the view isn't very good.

• Best hotel in Halifax

Service was awesome- You pay alittle bit more for top room service, but breakfast was brought to your room each morning. Any time you had a problem or question it was taken care of. It is right downtown so you can walk to all of downtown Halifax

Directions: right downtown- 4 blocks from the bay

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Downtown Halifax

The Prince George is conveniently located in downtown Halifax, about half-way up the hill from the busy harbour front to the old Citadel built to protect this important naval port. Only a few steps away are both the Metro Centre (sports events and concerts) and the Convention Centre. Of course, there are the usual great restaurants and pubs of Halifax within very short walking distance as well. I was in town for a 3-day meeting and the mid-September weather could not have been better! The photo shows the clock-tower of the Citadel overlooking the street leading up to The Prince George on the left.

Unique Quality: A pool and health facility is located on the 2nd floor. If you happen to be in Halifax during inclement weather, there is an underground passageway that will connect you into the main downtown shops and facilities without having to brave the elements. On-site parking is US$12/day. The room rate was US$150 taxes included.

Directions: Downtown core of Halifax

• jules_rules's Profile Photo

If you have the money, a...

If you have the money, a really nice central location is the Prince George Hotel. It's within walking distance of the water and a park. It is quite pricy but it's definetely worth it.
    A regular room runs about $270 a night.

Unique Quality: Very upper class hotel. If you're going to Halifax for a concert, most bands stay there, so book and get yourself some close-ups.

More about The Prince George Hotel

The Prince George Hotel! The ONLY Place To Stay In Halifax!

by TripAdvisor Member mikie12

There is nothing but acclaim for the Prince George Hotel in Halifax, Nova Scotia. We absolutely cherished our one-week stay there on a late fall trip to this appealing city by the sea. The location was perfect, right in the heart of Halifax and walking distance to any destination in the main area of the town. It is hard to find a perfect hotel, but this one gets my uppermost recommendations. If you want to stay away from the chain hotels, and want perfect service at a reasonable price, The Prince George is for you!

My hotel search began on the Internet, as usual. I basically search for ?Luxury hotels in (what the city is) and for Halifax a few came up, but I kept coming back to this one. Even the web page was inviting. I checked out the rates, quoted in Canadian dollars, and decided to contact them by e-mail to make sure I was getting the best rate. We booked a suite on the Crown Floor for approximately $120 US.

We arrived rather late in Halifax, and the airport is quite some distance from town. It is close to a 30-minute drive, and a quite reasonable $25 private car ride. Check in was quite simple with no problems on the reservations. We were given quickly an over view of the hotel and reminded that we did receive free breakfast in the dining room each morning in our room rate.

After taking the elevator up to our room, we were very pleased with what we saw. The suite was simply two rooms that had been made into one suite, with French doors separating the living area from the bedroom. The nicest part was that there were two bathrooms, so we did not have to share. The living room was tastefully traditionally decorated with a comfortable sofa, desk and chair, fax machine and modem connections. There was a television in each room along with very comfortable overstuffed chairs. The bedroom had a king sized bed, plenty of storage space and that extra bathroom filled with plush towels, robes, and the better brands of toiletries. Our accommodations were excellent.

The next morning we went downstairs to enjoy our complimentary breakfast. The food was great, generous portions, and pleasant service. One thing that fascinated me were the beautiful, but unusual plates that our food was served on. They were all of a different design and quite large. Actually more of the size you would call a ?charger? which is used as a service plate. They were so interesting but I thought that perhaps they had run out of matching plates, and really didn?t give it much more thought.

By this point we were ready to start spending our week seeing Halifax. We were not disappointed even though it was the first part of November. It was cool, but not unpleasant and with a jacket was perfect for brisk walking. The hotel is walking distance to just about everything, and public transportation is very convenient and reasonable. There also is an enclosed walkway system called the ?pedway? that goes considerable distance around connecting the hotel with the convention center and a major casino.

We decided to try the local restaurant at the hotel for dinner. Normally hotel food is not exceptional, but Georgio's Restaurant and Bar exceeds just about any food I have eaten anywhere. We had another mouth-watering dinner in this intimate dining room with service that was perfect. We were totally pleased, and the food was so good in Georgio?s restaurant that we ate there four of our six nights. Oh, there were those big plates again! Now I must admit that I had become rather obsessed with these, and I decided to ask our waiter about them. He told me that they came from a restaurant supply called ?Big Eds? that was a short taxi ride away. Well, I had to have some to take home, so guess where we went the next morning.

I couldn?t wait to get to this store and see those beautiful plates that were made in France, and like I said before, unlike anything I had ever seen. After a $20 cab ride we got there, and like a crazy woman, I bought eight of them, none matching, and was so happy to have something that I loved, and would use forever. Yes, I still have them, all eight of them, none match, and people always comment on my unusual dinnerware. With the exchange rate being very much in our favor, the price came to about $80 US for the set. The current exchange rate is 1 US = 1.60 CAN. It is still a great place to visit even if we were on par, but the rate is certainly favorable to us.

I must encourage you to consider a stay at the Prince George Hotel in Halifax.
If you are interested in checking out this hotel in detail, please go to their website located at: [--], or you may e-mail them at [--]. Their address is 1725 Market Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia CANADA B3J 3N9

Great Hospitality

by scottishvisitor about Prince George Hotel

Arrived on a Saturday morning to be greeted by the most helpful reception staff ever.

After finding out where we had come from and time differences etc. we were offered free breakfast because the room was not ready. We were early so did not expect it to be just wanted to drop of our cases

We declined breakfast (a bit travel sore) so she pulled out all the stops and got us another room in under 10 mins.

Superb service in a fantastic hotel

A+ Rating

by TripAdvisor Member Martell33

My wife and I have stayed in plenty of hotels in many countries over the years and I must say the experience we encountered at the Prince George Hotel was first class all the way. We stayed on the Crown floor which provided a few added touches. On our second night we tried their new restaurant called Gio (I believe) and enjoyed the best food service experience ever in Halifax. During our check out we noticed one agent service another guest in French and a third agent service someone in Spanish (Excellent Diversity) throughout our stay these people were so friendly and knowledgeable. We are planning on visiting Halifax again in the coming months and will never stay anywhere else. Thanks for making such a great impression on my wife and I. Congratulations and continued success!

A Haven In A Storm

by TripAdvisor Member Martha's Vineyard Traveller

On June 22, having survived the electrical outage at the Airport, we arrived in driving rain at the Prince George. Reception was friendly and quick, the staff most welcoming. The room was immaculate and the bed one of the most comfortable I have ever experienced. Breakfast was outstanding: price/value, marvelous setting, friendly staff. A home run, the Prince George Back again soon! W T Knight

Fabulous!!

by TripAdvisor Member otusie

This hotel should be a five star. The staff EXCELLENT. The restaurant and restroom facilities off lobby were immaculate.
The Concierge was over and beyond what is normally required.
They truly went out of their way to assist us our luggage, the local information of the city, the small problem we had with our keyed locks, etc. Just truly a staff who has been trained well and love their jobs. The rooms were clean and the beds were firm and wonderful to sleep on. Nice fresh bedding each day and the towels were super white and fluffy! The view was great overseeing the city lights. Breakfast in their restaurant was fresh and included in their buffet was a chef who made omelets to order. The dining room was to have one of the best chefs in Nova Scotia and heard their lobster was outrageously good but we never made it there....just ran out of time. The location to the downtown boardwalk was farther than what we anticipated but it was easy to get around and if you were into walking it was fantastic. Great eating establishments within close walking distances. The pedway to the boardwalk was great and never a fear of walking in the middle of the night. It was within walking distance to the casino, too....although was disappointed that the casino was so small. Check out the Midtown Tavern where all the locals go to experience wonderful food at lower than normal prices and the wait staff was so friendly. The only complaint we had was the tub /shower area that seemed to have a concave floor and not enough handles to hang onto while getting in and out . But it was minor compared to all the plus amenities this hotel has to offer. Parking was around $15 per night and very affordable considering the area. The local Grayline trolley tour was enjoyable and really gave us a good insight of their beautiful city. This hotel was luxury at truly a good price for the area. We'd definitely stay here again without hesitation. Can't wait to return.

Is there anything to see on Salter Street?

by Kaspian

Hello, I'll be in Halifax around September 17th. I think I'm staying somwhere called the Prince George Hotel.
I'm a huge fan of the sci-fi show "Lexx" and also a fan of "This Hour Has 22 Minutes".
Is there anything left to see on Salter Street now that they were bought by Alliance? I'd love to visit a store or shop or pub something that had some Lexx memorabilia stuff. Is Salter near the downtown? Otherwise I'll just be making a trip to get my photo taken under the street sign.
Carry On, K.

Re: Is there anything to see on Salter Street?

by pieter_jan_v

Salter Street is 5 blocks down and 2 blocks to the right from the Hotel; 10 minutes walking distance.
I know there's some comedy theatre in that area, but I have to check old info I have.

I hope the locals can help you out.

PJ

Salter Street Films - Barrington Street

by Kaspian

I've actually found out that the office address for Salter Street Films was at 1668 Barrington St. But I'm still interested if anybody knows where they filmed Lexx in Halifax, on Salter, etc. Any of the pubs have old Lexx props on display? Cheers, K.

Re: Salter Street Films - Barrington Street

by RobDavis

Hi Kaspian;

Took a little digging, but...

ELECTROPOLIS MOTION PICTURE STUDIOS
5091 Terminal Road
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Canada B3J 3Y1
Tel: 902.429.1971

Or visit them on the web at:

Good luck, I hope you can find some Lexx stuff there!

Comments