3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

More about Keltic Lodge Resort & Spa

Resort

by tshediac about Keltic Lodge Resort and Spa

Outstanding, location, views, food and dinning, great golf course, terrific service in every area. Great views, first class, great golf course, Highland Links!!!

Cape Breton Highlands

by Florida999

Cape Breton Highland National Park was nice, it did remind me a little of Scotland. We drove to Cape Breton from Sydney and took a small ferry over to the island. It rained the entire time we were there, but that did not stop us from hiking. We drove up a dirt road that started near Broad Cove campground to a waterfall and saw several moose, including one mother and baby moose on the way. We hiked along the ocean on the " Middle Head " trail that starts at Keltic Lodge near Ingonish Beach, on the eastern side of the park.

Cape Breton Coastal Drive

by CraigT

We headquartered in Baddeck, the beautiful lake town where Alexander Graham Bell had his home. (Be sure to visit the museum - very well done.) We left early and went the clockwise route and found it very fine. A survey's of locals preferences for clockwise or counter clockwise was an even split. We bought sandwiches at the final town on the north end entrance to the national park. Take in many of the side sights along the route. They are well marked and very informational. We took our longest hike near the top of one of the mountains. It's quite a hike down to the cliffs but the views are spectacular. We didn't see any moose but did a lot of looking. On the south end of the island we stopped by for a look at Keltic Lodge. Beautiful site. If you can't stay there its worth a visit to see grand resort living with a spectacular view. The road from there down the mountain is quite curvey with many small towns but still enjoyable. We took the ferry shortcut for the experience on our road back to Baddeck. Try to time it for good weather so you can get good pictures. I tried to give us options so that we could have three different days to take a run at it. We were fortunate to hit it on the first day.

A classic old-school resort experience

by TripAdvisor Member PA_Truffle

After reading the reviews on this site, I was a little bit nervous about staying at the Keltic Lodge. After staying there, I highly recommend it. As many posters have said, the setting and the common areas are delightful. There's live music in the Highland Sitting Room every night, and the nights we were there, the music was terrific.

I disagree with the posters who say that the decor is no better than that in a cheap hotel. We're talking remote Cape Breton, not New York, so don't expect the hip decor of a W. Think instead of a smaller scale Greenbrier or Mount Washington Hotel. It's old fashioned and charming. We upgraded to a room with a view, and those rooms are quite large and not much more expensive than those without a water view. And there was nothing wrong with the bathroom -- yes, it was classic 1940s tile, but the tub was big and the amenities are Aveda.

The food in the Purple Thistle was MUCH better than we expected, and the service was quite attentive. The only dress code is "no jeans, no shorts," so a jacket and tie are not required.

Any words of warning? Sure. The main lodge does not have an elevator, so it's not a place for people who cannot climb stairs. And the guestrooms in the main lodge are not air conditioned, but we didn't find that to be a problem even though it was pretty warm when we were there.

Well Below Expectation

by TripAdvisor Member SDTurner

To begin, I am originally from Halifax, NS and had high expectations for the Keltic Lodge. In fact, this was our first stop after our wedding and we brought a couple of friends and my parents-in-laws so they could experience of the Cabot Trail before we left on our honeymoon. We were so disapointed!

We had booked the outdoor experience package: Includes two nights accommodation, gourmet dinners each night, full breakfasts each morning, hiking guide book and a sea kayaking tour with instruction. Minimum two night stay. $278 per person (off season).

Negatives:

1. When we arrived we asked when we were booked for the kayaking and she responded by asking if we had called ourselves to book it. We had called the hotel to book the package and they had made no mention that we had to do anything further. I asked her to call and organise it, and she said she would, with some reservation. She said she would call back and an hhour later when she didn't, I went to the front desk but there was no one there. I waited for over 10 minutes before someone arrived. I asked her about the kayaking and she said that the kayaking company would call us back directly. She could not tell us any details about the package, e.g. appropriate gear. We did get a message on our phone from the kayaking company confirming the time for the next morning.

2. The decor of the hotel was ornate, dated and worn. It could use a refresher.

3. Coffee maker was in the bathroom of the hotel room.

4. Food and service on the first night were both dreadful. Scallops spongy, fish dried out. I didn't even eat the dessert - it was supposed to be warm apple streudal but it was bland and cold. We could not get a reservation to eat prior to 8:45 pm. The service did improve the next day (one server in particular made all the difference) but the food never exceeded mediocre.

5. I just can't imagine how it got a 5 star rating!!!! There was one common computer downstairs for the internet and it locked up when I was using it. There was no gym. Only a closed outdoor pool. I was disapointed with the reduced rate I paid and couldn't imagine how I would feel if we had paid the normal rates.

Positives:

1. My Irish parent-in-law's really enjoyed it. There was an Irish singer in the main room playing each night, they were able to chat with others during music breaks, and they were able to go for walks on the beautiful grounds each day.

2. Again, the area is very scenic but we stayed in (basically a motel) in Baddeck for 2 nights afterwards and preferred it greatly.

3. The kayaking was brilliant. It was truly the highlight of our stay at the Lodge.

Inviting and Elegant with an amazing location!

by TripAdvisor Member MaineJoy

We chose not to stay at this location because of other reviews stating that the inn was stuffy and overpriced. After touring the facility & enjoying time in the restaurant and pub - I would recommend it highly. The Inn is truly elegant - but never felt stuffy to me. The service was exceptionally friendly & pleasant. Kudos to Corey (the bartender) for going out of his way to make everyone who entered his bar feel welcomed & valued!

The best and the worst! Mixed reviews.

by TripAdvisor Member TobiG

Previous reviewers are all correct.

First the good news....
Amazing, unique location, views, scenery, food, proximity to the Cabot Trail, and best of all, inexpensive spectacular golf course.

Bad news: a feeling that no one knows you're there, staff is not really around much, no one at the pool, around the grounds, etc. (this in the height of the tourist season).

The inn rooms are quite mediocre for the rating and cost....like dingy, boringly brown, cheap motel rooms with no windows to open or doorways from them to the gorgeous scenery and little terrace just outside them unless you find a fire exit down a long, dark corridor. Whoever designed this building must never have even gone there! It is so mundane that it should be noted, given the aspirations of the ads. I saw nothing close to the pictures of the rooms on the website. Total misrepresentation.

There is free internet in the lobby when it works, but the huge, splendid, empty sitting room looks less than inviting with no touches of coziness, like maybe a few guidebooks or magazines, fresh flowers, etc. The B & B's we stayed at were more welcoming than this for much less, I might add. The service was pretty good in the restaurant, but I thought it odd for a highly-rated hotel to have absolutely no pool service or attendants whatsoever....and extremely uncomfortable, cheap lounges to lie on. The inconsistency is confusing. The flowers outside are gorgeous, the grounds impeccable, views are extraordinary, but the sense that you are at a first-class resort where your comfort and enjoyment are paramount are entirely missing. It's like they couldn't care less if you were there or not!

I have never come across such indifference, and I've been in lots of resorts and first-class hotels. These people need a lesson in running a hotel....although they probably do quite well anyways. It's a shame, since they have the best location in the country, next to the Banff Springs.

I should also add that a wedding was taking place at their hall right next to the inn which took up most of the guest parking. We stayed one night and it was enough to get a taste of the area, play some golf and have a delicious dinner and huge breakfast. I guess I'd recommend it, if you are prepared to make some sacrifices.

The location makes up for the horrible room

by TripAdvisor Member CobyCat

The location is all we had hoped for. Absolutely wonderful views, great weather so we could enjoy the beach and the walking trails. The room at the inn building really is not worth the price tag for the hotel. At the inn building people played pool in the game room until the early hours of the morning, so make sure your hallway doors are closed before you walk down you hall to your room. The big glass doors really make your hall quiet and in turn your room quiet. We didn't figure this out until 3am!!! We did find out that we could book without meals, which knocked over $100 off the price tag. The food is great but we found that we could have a great meal cheaper than if we had it included in the price of the room....now if you love to eat maybe you should get the included price....the breakfast buffet is very extensive. The restaurant across from the Inn wasnot very good. All in all we loved the stay but the room was a little disappointing. Would love to see reviews from people who have stayed in both the main lodge as well as the "Inn" so I can compare them.

Like stepping back in time, and not in a good way!

by TripAdvisor Member Daoda

We paid $198/night for 2 adults with their Lobsterpalooza package which included a four-course meal in the Purple Thistle dining room. When they bring you the bill for the evening, they break out the cost of the meal so you can calculate the tip. It was shown as $54/person, so if the meal was worth $108, that means we were paying $90 for the room (this was in the Main Lodge). I don't think it was worth even that. The rooms seem like they're from a 1960s roadside motel. The rooms are tiny and stuffy (no a/c and the fan made a huge racket if you turned it up enough to actually move some air in the room). The mattress is terrible and the sheets are a poly-cotton blend and the pillows are 100% polyester. The coffee maker must have been 10 years old. The bathrooms had an awful sea-foam green tile and a dingy, yellowed plastic soap dish. The rusting sink was running a leak. I was so sure that'd we'd been given a bum room I asked to see anything else they had available, even it was more expensive. I was shown another room in the lodge, a cottage, and a room in the newer annex. Everything was built to the same low standard and I certainly saw nothing even approaching the photos on the website. I wonder if they're even from the hotel.

What made this experience so frustrating was that the rest of the resort is so wonderful. The location is stunning, the common areas of the lodge are beautiful, the dinner was one of the best we had, and the music in the evening top notch. Hence our depression when we returned to the rooms. This is a resort people choose who are willing to pay the money for a luxury experience, and for whatever reason management doesn't feel the need to provide it. I imagine it has a lot to do with the fact it's owned by the province of Nova Scotia. Let's hope someone in government realizes it should sold to a private hotel management company like Fairmont and turned into a real resort.

That said, you should definitely eat here, and maybe book one of the suites if they're better than the regular rooms. Otherwise, stay somewhere else, though I don't know where. Tourism in Nova Scotia and Cape Breton still seems relatively underdeveloped, at least on the high end.

Very mixed feelings

by TripAdvisor Member carolmaria

We just returned from our stay there.I am in accord with many of the previous reviewers...stunning location, consistently lovely staff, beautifully manicured grounds, fabulous, fabulous food--I enjoyed the common areas, too. The room at the inn, although large, was depressing and cheap looking--less than a motel in quality, with an uncomfortable bed. I called the front desk 72 hours in advance of our anticipated checkout and asked to cut our stay short a night. We were charged a $69 early checkout fee.

Maritime Travel?

by RWFAN

I wish to travel east in the spring but I only have a limited amount of time. Which Maritime Province would any of you reccommend?? I have one week and a limited budget...... if you could can you tell me why that province in the best, like maybe give me some sights to see?? I hope I'm not asking too much! Thanks, Katie

Re: Maritime Travel?

by MURRA

Nova scotia try cape breton north has keltic lodge and cabot trail and bell museum . then halifax titanic museum ,peggys cove just south of halifax and down south shore see fishing villages like lunenburg .
combine with pei just go west to moncton new brunswick and across new bridge to pei see summerside charlottetown and cavendish north shore were anne green gables is . cavendish beach is there also.

Re: Maritime Travel?

by Bostongrrl

I agree with the previous post.... Nova Scotia is fabulous! I recommend Halifax. Friendly people, great museums, good food & drink. Also, try to visit Peggys Cove, very scenic.

Maritime Travel?

by pieter_jan_v

Nova Scotia. But you have to travel there too! There is much to do at Halifax and you can be there at a limited budget. If you really want to enjoy the coast, towns, trails you have to travel. Luckely people in Nova Scotia are very friendly in general. I was there last fall and had a wonderful time; have a look at my pages for some impressions.

PJ