Louisbourg Hotels

Our Members Say

• RavensWing profile photo RavensWing
  • Reviews: 386

~ Louisbourg RV & Camping ~: Love that Fishy Smell

It's a wonder we managed to get a site at the %L[ Louisbourg RV and Camping]Louisbourg RV and Camping Site! We called as we were leaving Port Hawkesbury heading to Loiusbourg. I explained to the lady where I thought I was and asked her how long it should take me to get there - 2 hours, which would put us there around 10:00pm. Somehow we managed to get lost on the way, found a very frustrating detour, missed a few more turns and finally arrived at midnight. I thought it was quite cute to see a note taped on the inside of the door welcoming me and letting me know which site was ours.

It's located right on the waterfront - so if the smell of the sea is something you long to smell - This place is perfect for you! They have a day room area which faces the waterfront (you might have to peek through the RV's though) and has comfy chairs, a desk if you need to connect to the wifi for work or pleasure. The toilets/showers were a pleasant surprise ~ for campers the showers were free, one of the few places we had stayed where they were free. The toilet/shower area is immaculately clean. In the small walkway between the womens toilets and the office - there is a deep single sink, with a dish rack so you can do your dishes in a 'real' sink. A welcome luxury from the small single sink in the RV.

The staff was quite friendly and when we asked if we could stay another night they were more than happy to accommodate us. Also the location was perfect - walking distance to the Main street. Not that Louisbourg is a large area, it's nice to be able to park the RV and be able to walk to restaurants and have a drink.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Camping, Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written May 6, 2015

~ Louisbourg RV and Camping ~

• planxty profile photo planxty
  • Reviews: 2169

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Louisbourg RV and Camping.: Go there for the smell!

I have mentioned many times on my Canada pages here on Virtual Tourist about the quality of the campsites / RV sites in the Maritime Provinces and it seems almost churlish to pick one from another but this really was a delight.

The location could not be better and gives rise to the title of this tip. Just open the window of your RV or unzip your tent in the morning and you will smell the sea. Pure ozone, and it is an absolute joy. Occasianally, depending when the fishermen come back in, you will also get a wee whiff of freshly caught fish which might not be to everyone's taste but I love it. Thsis place is as "up close and personal" (as I believe the current expression is) as you will get.

OK, we've got the natural attributes out of the way, so what about the physical attributes of a camp / RV site? Frankly, they are peerless. The "clubroom" or whatever it is called is a sumptuous with big, comfy armchairs overlooking the water, books and whatever else you would need to spend a day or ten. It's sort of like a London Gentleman's Club in a Nova Scotian maritime surrounding.

The few brief encounters I had with the staff were all extremely positive and I commend them on it. They were helpful to a fault.

Louisbourg is not really a huge place and the site is right in the middle so walking anywhere is not a problem whereas a lot of Canadian sites are way out of town which is a bit of a problem if you are in an RV and have to unhook to head into town for dinner!

To the more mundane logistics now, the site has (I quote from the attached website)

Flush Toilets
Washrooms
Free Showers
36 serviced and 13 unserviced sites
free wireless internet
All 30 Amp
Visa, Mastercard, and Direct Debit

I can do nothing other than recommend this place highly, it really is a great place to stay.

I suppose the unique quality would be the waterside setting which really is quite stunning.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Road Trip
  • Written December 21, 2014

Campsite, Louisbourg, Canada.

• jquillm1 profile photo jquillm1
  • Reviews: 8

Cranberry Cove Inn: Best place to stay and dine in Louisbourg

We spent two nights at the Cranberry Cove in early August, 2006. This is an outstanding small inn with beautiful guest rooms, public rooms and dining rooms. Beds are VERY comfortable, baths are modern with whirlpool tubs and the inn catches great breezes off the water.

If you visit in July or August, you MUST see a performance of Lyrics and Laughter at the Louisbourg Playhouse just a couple of minutes away. There are six incredibly talented young people who put on a high energy presentation of Cape Breton music, dancing and humor. DON't MISS IT!!

The dining experience is what really sets this place apart from its peers. Breakfasts include very unusual and very tasty dishes (like thick slices of whole wheat french toast rolled in oats). The inn also operates as a fine dining restaurant in the evenings and there is no other place in Louisbourg that comes close to what they offer. The dinner we had was as good as you could get in the finest restaurants in any big city. Very creative dishes that were beautifully presented and DELICIOUS!! The seafood chowder was touted as the best in the world. I haven't had all the chowder in the world, but I have had a lot of chowder and the Cranberry Cove served the best seafood chowder I have ever tasted. The food isn't cheap, but it is fairly priced for what you get.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Family Travel
  • Written August 6, 2006
Tip Photo

• kayla_gorecky profile photo kayla_gorecky
  • Reviews: 7

A Bed and Breakfast, camping or a Cottage

I have stayed in the Mid Town Cottages in Louisbourg. They are an awesome idea if you are palnning to stay for a while and do not want to eat out every day fora ll of your meals. They are equipt with a full kitchen and bath. You can even get a two bedroom with a pull out couch if you a have large family.

if you do not want to stay in a cottage you could stay in one of hte beautiful B and B's located all over louisbourg.

Louisbourg also has a beautiful camp ground located on hte marina.

The cottages are located downtown and you can see a beautiful view of the marina and water.

• Opinion of Price: N/A