The Customs House Inn

Customs House Inn
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

More about Pictou

The Hector Heritage Quay Experience, Pictou.The Hector Heritage Quay Experience, Pictou.

The Waterfront, Pictou.The Waterfront, Pictou.

Stone House Cafe & Pizzeria, Pictou.Stone House Cafe & Pizzeria, Pictou.

The view from Pictou waterfront.The view from Pictou waterfront.

Has anyone been here?

by Lisser

Since I'm the only VT member from Pictou...I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever been to or passed through my little town! If you have, I'd love to hear about your trip and how you liked it here in Nova Scotia!
Please... share :)

by RobDavis

Hi Lisser;

I've been to Pictou (or at least passed through it) several times. I don't really count, since I used to live in Nova Scotia, but I just thought I would reply anyway.
That area of the Province is beautiful, and you're lucky to live there!

by Pierre_Rouss

Pictou is where I took off from the ferry from PEI. The area is nice. I liked the whole North coast, Chetican, etc... toward the Cabot trail.
Hope to get back soon.
Pierre

by binnendijk

I was there last July, on my vacation trip in Nova Scotia. Strolled around a few hours, looked at the Ship Hector replica on the waterfront, had a decent meal. It's a nice friendly town.
Greetings,

Henk Binnendijk

by ginirover

We were in Nova Scotia 3 years ago and surely will visit it again in the next years because we didn't visit all intresting places yet. On our visit we passed through Pictou. We found it a cute place. There just was a boatshow when we were there so that was nice. We also liked the place where they made a reconstruction of an old ship. And we liked the restaurants and taverns.............
So we're bound to come back...

by Dr.Z.

we went to Scotland last year& loved it so much we thought we would go to Nova Soctia this year. I have just started planning the trip. We will be there for 3 weeks probably in June. Where are you located. Is early June a good time to come.

by BillyInHfx

Ahh.. Pictou! Home of the Lobster festival! How could I ever forget?? :) Although, really, New Glasgow was more convienent to go to when we had to restock at the NSLC during the "camping" trips. I had poked aorund Pictou many times, but I spent more time on the outskirts along the Northumberland shore.

Gosh.... how I miss the ocean since moving to TO.... :(

Travel Tips for Pictou

I don't know if you can find...

by Lisser

I don't know if you can find more friendly or helpful people anywhere in Canada! Maybe I am a little biased but still...Don't be afraid to ask questions-people love to share their knowledge and show you around. You'll discover the real meaning of a town where 'everybody knows your name!'

...Only Here in Pictou!

by Lisser

~Chloroform was produced for the first time in North America right here in Pictou in 1848.
~The old post office in Pictou is the only building in the world with a window in its chimney.
~Former Prime Minister of Canada Sir John Thompson's mother lived in Pictou.
~Pictou Academy was the first school in Nova Scotia where any student could attend regardless of their religion.
~Christy MacDonald (1880-1962) was one of the most famous Broadway singers of all time. When she died, her body was cremated and part of her ashes were brought to her hometown of Pictou and scattered over the harbour.
~The Pictou Lobster Carnival is the oldest and the largest lobster carnival in the world. Some say it is also the best.

Pictou Island

by Lisser

If you're up for a real "off the beaten path" experience than a day trip to Pictou Island would be perfect for you. It's a little island 3km long off the coast, almost halfway to Prince Edward Island. There's only one road, and LOTS of unexpected run-ins with wildlife! There a couple beautiful beaches there and a nice change from the ordinary.
Everyday a ferry (which is actually just a fishing boat with railings!) can be taken over to the island for a very small fee (something like 3.00 per person.)

Pictou- The Birthplace of New Scotland

by Lisser

Pictou (pronounced: Pick-toe, NOT Pick-two!!) is a small town in the heart of northern Nova Scotia. It is world renowned as the "Birthplace of New Scotland". Pictou has a population of approximately 4000 people. The predominant language is english, with most people coming from Scottish or French backgrounds.

The main industries in Pictou are: fishing and fish processing, farming,a pulp and paper mill, Michelin tire plant, and tourism.

Ship Hector: The Ship Hector Launch in 2000, attracted over 50,000 visitors to Pictou for the launch and festivities. It was the most people ever in the town at one time!! Since the launch in 2000, the second weekend of September has been designated "New Scotland Days,"commemerating the landing of the Hector and its passengers.

Comments