Wickwire House Bed & Breakfast

183 main street, Wolfville, B4N1J6, Canada

More about Wolfville

Looking across the patioLooking across the patio

Restaurant is on the leftRestaurant is on the left

Sign from the PatioSign from the Patio

Main StreetMain Street

Travel Tips for Wolfville

Wolfville, an unexpected pleasure

by CdnJane

"This starts with a tale of changing plans!!"

When I went to Nova Scotia I had prepurchased a museum ticket for the Maritime Museum, and entry for the Alexander Keith brewery. That was going to be my last day tour - Halifax, then stop briefly to visit some friends on the way to the airport. Oh, and I was going to phone a woman I hadn't spoken to in about 40 years. Well, plans changed as plans tend to do. First through a miscommunication, I didn't get to see my friend in Mahone Bay - she expected me to stop by later in the day on Saturday as I drove from the Halifax airport south to the resort, White Point. It was a cold, windy, rainy, misty, foggy day on the Saturday (as observed on my Mahone Bay page.) I left her a voice mail on Saturday saying how sorry I was to have missed her, then I spoke with her parents and they invited me to see them on Wednesday on my way back to the airport. Sunday morning I got a call from Susan inviting me to come join them for dinner on Sun night, as one of her sisters was visiting from Ontario, and it was Father's Day. I decided against the dinner, but said I'd come by in the afternoon. So, on Sunday, I got to see not only my friend AND her parents and sister in Mahone Bay and Indian Point. Just a nice little visit, got caught up, and nobody was put out entertaining. So my plan then was to still have my day in Halifax on Wed, and if things worked out, I'd stop by my friends' parents (actually my parents' friends!) place on the way to the airport. I tried on the weekend to get hold of the woman I hadn't seen in 40 years, and left a message on her voice mail saying that I'd try phoning again, and who I was, hoping I'd reached the right number. Finally on Tuesday night I got hold of my friend Rosemary and she was delighted that I contacted her. She had a meeting Wednesday, or she would've gone to Halifax to meet me, she said. I thought about it, and knew that I was going to make sure that I have another, longer, visit to Nova Scotia, and time in Halifax, but we don't know what tomorrow will bring where people are concerned... so decided that, I'd never been to Kentville or Wolfville and I'd go to the airport via there! So.... making a short story long... that's how I found myself in Wolfville Wednesday for lunch!

"Wolfville is home to Acadia University"

"Downtown Wolfville"

Some restaurants along Main Street (Hwy 1)

The Small Town of Wolfville

by fairy_dust

"Jazz Camp was Awesome!"

I've been to Wolfville twice in my life. In the summer of 1999 and the summer of 2000. I was there for the Acadia Summer Music Institute. It's basically a summer program on the Acadia University campus for young musicians of junior high and high school age (most play in school bands), and every week has a different theme. I went for the jazz week, and I had a blast. Acadia Jazz Camp is an awesome program. All week, we learned about jazz music, practiced our instruments (in my case, voice), played in bands, met friends, and had fun. Our teachers were among the best in the Maritimes, and we learned a lot in only a week.

I sang in the jazz choir, and I loved the songs we got to sing. Especially the Spanish song I got to sing with the Dance Combo at Jazz Camp 2000. In Jazz Camp 2000, the camp director brought a group of music students from a music school in Cuba, who were a band called Los Primos. They were a huge hit, and their visit was a major highlight of Jazz Camp 2000.

"Wolfville in the eyes of a jazz camper"

Since I was at camp all week, I didn't really get to see much of Wolfville. I was on the campus of Acadia University for the whole week, and I was always busy with rehearsals, practice, performances, camp stuff, and socializing with fellow campers (including the Cuban Alejandro, who took every opportunity to flirt and compliment me...). But I do know a bit about Wolfville.

It's a small university town, and usually quiet (except on the Acadia campus during Jazz Camp!). It looks like a nice town to live in, it's not run down or overly busy, it has a nice relaxed atmosphere. From what I've been told, the Acadian University students make up more than half the population during the winter, and in the summer the town is dead. Quite the opposite of most tourist destinations, where it's dead in winter and only comes alive after the snow melts! The Acadia University campus is nice and small. Most places in town are within walking distance, and the streets and scenery are pretty. It's a place for people who like small towns, or who want a change from the busy scenes of big cities. It's not really a tourist destination, but it's nice to visit.

Comments