The Nordic Inn

1019 Nordic Inn Road, P.O. Box 155, P0A 1E0, Canada
Nordic Inn
Booking.com eDreams Priceline.com

More about Algonquin Provincial Park

Some bite marksSome bite marks

A net to help keep the bugs away!A net to help keep the bugs away!

Common LoonCommon Loon

Start of second loop on the trail.Start of second loop on the trail.

Algonquin Provincial Park Canoe Trip

by jreveillaud

Hello to everyone,

i'm actually working to prepare a canoe trip in the Park for a group of 10 adults campers for 4 days during the month of september and i have some questions. It would be very kind if anybody could give me some answsers.

- We would like to stay all 10 together for the overnight camping but it seems that it's forbidden. Should we split our group ? What is the best solution ?

- Wich itinerary could you advice ? We would like to have the most wilderness trip that it could be and we would like to see some animals if it's possible.

- Is it very tiring ? We have some girls in our group and they are not very strong, is that a problem ?

- Wich canoe renting company do you advice and should we take a tour with a guide ?

Thank's in advance for all your answers.

Have a nice day.

Jay.

Re: Algonquin Provincial Park Canoe Trip

by RACCOON1

You will have to split into two groups for camping. You should be able to get two sites within walking distance. Try Algonguin Outfitters for equipment. Seeing animals is not guaranteed. You do not need a guide as long as some of you can read maps and have some camping experience.You are not going way into the interior .

Paddling across a lake into the wind can be tiring so take breaks at the portages. You will have to portage . When we were there the last time we ran into two ladies ( small) at a portage . The smallest one could flip a canoe over her head and carry it 290 meters over a portage without any help. So what can I say.

Go to the Algonquin Park web site and order 4 or 5 copies of " CANOE ROUTES of ALGONQUIN PARK".

On HY 60 at ACCESS POINT paddle north on Canoe Lake to portage P295 ( the number indicates the length of the portage in meters). This leads to Joe Lake (where there are many camp sites), and subsequently to Burnt Island Lake and Tom Thomson Lake . There is enough in this area to keep you busy . Portages range from 110 to 1140 meters in lengths.

Remember to protect cameras and maps in water tight plastic bags. Food has to be stored in packs 4 meters above ground and 2 meters from the nearest tree.

Ten people , five canoes . You should have fun.

Re: Algonquin Provincial Park Canoe Trip

by giuliar25

I agree with racoons suggestion. i did a similar canoe trip last summer. The best canoeing option is to enter through canoe lake. The largest canoe rental site is there and they can supply you with everything you need. Although every site is different, there are multiple camping locations that provide two sites very close to one another. The canoeing isn't very difficult because the lakes are relatively small. I found the hardest part to be canoeing across Canor Lake because it was the most open, and just our luck a storm was rolling in:(. As far as animals, I doubt you'll see anything more than small mammals and birds on your trip. The greatest chance to see anything will most likely be your drive into the park along Hey 60. I've seen deer along this route multiple times.
Lastly, as I've learned from experience, pack light because carrying too many things out of the canoe and then back into the canoe when you pass through the portage sites can be tiring and annoying. :D But have fun.

Travel Tips for Algonquin Provincial Park

Moose

by sim1

My first time in Canada, I saw this moose. The first moose I saw in my life.... it was breathtaking. I was canoeing on one of the lakes in Algonquin National Park, and I wasn't aware of the moose at all. My back was to the moose so I had no idea it was there. All of a sudden my friend said 'shhhhhh, get your camera.... there is a moose behind you!'

I turned around and was amazed. At first the moose was still quite far away. But the wind blew the canoe towards the shore to the moose. Slowly we got closer, and I sat there gazing at the moose.... a magical moment. Some other canoers came, and broke the spell. The moose got annoyed by their noise and left the lake. But for me this was a moment I will never forget.

Planning Material

by Jfsmith21

If you want to get the most out of your trip you may want to invest in one or more books on the market today.

1. The Explorer’s guide to Algonquin Park by Michael Runtz
2. Algonquin Park Visitor’s Guide by Wayne Van Sickle
3. Frommer’s Algonquin Provincial Park
4. Canoeing Algonquin Park by Donald L. Lloyd
5. Backroad Mapbook Algonquin Region by Mussio Ventures

I recommend all of these books especially the Backroad Mapbook. It shows canoe and hiking routes. Once in the park, you can pick up other publications detailing more specific needs. Check out the Algonquin bookstore online at www.algonquinpark.on.ca .

CANOEING INTO ALGONQUIN

by RACCOON1

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Algonguin Park has an interconnected waterway system ( lakes, rivers, etc) which totals some 2000km in length making it probably the premier canoeing/camping area in the world . If you visit Algonquin Park you have to go canoeing .

Order a Map

by Canadian_Traveler

Order a canoe route map from the Algonquin Park website. I highly recommend ordering it a good few weeks before leaving for your trip. First, you will need to reserve camp sites (even in the interior) and thus, you'll need to plan a route. Also, the reverse side of this map is very, very useful. It conatins great information including what to bring / pack, rates, useful tips and directions for canoeing as well as commonly asked questions.

Order it here:

a moment for reflection....

by richiecdisc

Though one can see a lot of wildlife and beautiful scenery from the parks corridor road, to truly appreciate all that Algonquin has to offer, one must get out in a canoe and spend a few days camping on the islands. Basking in the early glow of the rising sun, it was hard for her to fathom that just thirty-six hours earlier she had stood in the pouring rain, soaked and chilled to the bone, greedily munching on a mixture of peanuts and pretzels that forged her meager supper. At the time, she thought herself mad for succumbing to going on a five-day canoe trip when she had never even set foot in one. It was just to please her nature crazy boyfriend who had expounded relentlessly the rewards of using one’s body to explore the planet in a way more in tune with the wonders it can present. (continued below in Fondest Memory)

Comments