90 Highland Drive, RR 1, Barrie, L0L 2L0, Canada
Travelocity

More about Carriage Hills Resort

Canada's popular accomodations can run out on you.

by Faiza-Ifrah about Carriage Hill Resort and Hilton, Barrie

Because of Pope's visit to Torornto area, all the hotels, motels, etc. were 100% occupied. We were lucky to have a week long stay in Carriage Hills Resorts near Craighurst by an incidence of pure luck. A night before, we were stranded out till 2 a.m. as no accomodation was available. this made us (8 people) stay in Hilton, Barrie at CAD 250/-. We stayed in all types of motels in Windsor, Toronto and Mississauga, while exploring those cities. Carriage Hills Resort is set on a hill top in Horseshoe Valley and has a 27 holes golf course for summers, ski slopes for winters, and several hiking trails in the nearby hills.

Surroundings of Carriage Hill ResortSurroundings of Carriage Hill Resort

Loons have the shiny green headsLoons have the shiny green heads

Barrie Town HallBarrie Town Hall

Memorial to the FallenMemorial to the Fallen

Travel Tips for Barrie

Places of Worship

by CdnJane

Barrie's population is growing and so are the churches. Primarily the residents of Barrie have been Christians and there are many different denominations of the Christian church represented: Anglican (Church of England), Catholic, Presbyterian, United, Pentecostal, Baptist, and the Bretheren assemply amongst others. The Salvation Army has their presence in Barrie. There is a Church of the Latterday Saints, there as well. I understand that there is going to be a Jewish synnagogue finally built in Barrie. As well there are members of the Buddhist and Islamic faith in Barrie, but I am uncertain where their places of worship are located.
Shown is St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church at the corner of Owen & Worsley Streets. It has been there since the late 1800s.

Trekking through the hills.

by Faiza-Ifrah

Ontario, and especially Simcoe County, is a land of rolling hills. We enjoyed trekking everywhere we went - Horseshoe Valley, Tottenham, Collingwood, etc. One has to be careful of giving soil under weight after rain showers.

While trekking, keep insect repellents ready. Some flying insects that we were unable to identify can really 'bug' you.

On slopes, ground can be soft, especially after rains (or thunderstorm) and sunlight is low. Its really difficult to take snapshots, except by using flash that makes beautiful background disappear in the photographs.

Keep wet wipes ready, because the forested slopes can be humid. Wet wipes will refreshen you.

Also readily available should be raincoats. In summers, thunderstorm can strike any moment.

Excellent Steak

by CdnJane about Shutters' Restaurant

Shutters has been open about 6 months now, I think, and I've heard mixed reviews. However, that's normal for any restaurant I think - what some like, others don't. For me, though, my experience was very positive. The service was attentive without being overly so, and the food was excellent.
The building was originally the old Allendale YMCA building, and it has been decorated in a victorian style, suiting the red-brick building. Old photos of the building and area from the late 1800s/early 1900s decorate the walls.
My one criticism is that it is not wheelchair accessible - or if it is, it wasn't apparent - and the front steps do NOT have a handrail. Make sure that if your party has mobility issues that you request a ground floor table - they don't automatically ask, as we found out. Fortunately we were able to get our table changed.
The owners also have The Village Inn, in Thornton, Ontario - just down Hwy 27 about 15 minutes away. I've only been there the once, and I had one of their specials - a striploin with morels and a blue cheese gravy with mashed potatoes. It was cooked to perfection, and the sauce was lovely. I think I would've preferred rice or fries to the mashed potato - just a little too heavy. The creme brulee that night was a banana one, and it was delicious, and served with lots of lovely berries. My father had the lime cheesecake and it apparently was good.

Municipal Library

by mikey_e

I don't really know why I photographed this... I think its because the library is in the style that you so often find in York Region, a sort of bureaucratic architectural style in which all new monoliths are constructed. I like to think of it as "ugly monstruism". You be the judge....

Comments