Howard Johnson Express Inn Barrie

Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Barrie

Power boating in Georgian BayPower boating in Georgian Bay

The back of the spaThe back of the spa

Original entrance to the buildingOriginal entrance to the building

Wish Catcher from up closeWish Catcher from up close

Anyone going to the Barrie Live 8 Concert?

by CdnJane

Just curious what others think about Barrie, and "Park Place" (formerly Molson's Park) getting the concert instead of Toronto or some place else in Ontario or Canada. I hope that people aren't scared off by the fears of traffic jams - being a holiday weekend, the traffic is going to be horrible to start with, but... YIKES! I remind all those heading north to give themselves lots of time. The concert goes from 11am to 8pm.
Remember to check out the Barrie pages for some ideas about places to eat - there are lots of restaurants at the Molson Drive exit, but they will be very crowded, I imagine. More restaurants at the Highway 400 exits to Essa Road, Dunlop Street and Bayfield Street (Hwy 26/27 north).
Anyway, don't look for me - I know lots of back roads between Toronto & Barrie, but don't look forward to the other people that have found them too!!! So, I'll be staying in Toronto for the weekend.

RE: Anyone going to the Barrie Live 8 Concert?

by airkarat

Apparently not me either though I live ten minutes away. Tickets sold in a matter of minutes this morning. Jane, remember when Molson Park was surrounded by fields and thats where concert-goers would 'squat'? What will happen now that the surrounding area is developed?

RE: RE: Anyone going to the Barrie Live 8 Concert?

by CdnJane

Didn't Mayor Rob say that the traffic will be handled? Well, if you live close enough, you might not have to be on site to hear it!
I can remember many many many moons ago when there was a drive-in theatre up by Bayview Drive and Little Ave, and with binoculars, my friends and I would go over to what is now Sunnidale Park, but was a golf course then, and watch the movie!!! Things have changed in Barrie!!! Like everywhere.

Travel Tips for Barrie

One of the Wilder Local Natives

by CdnJane

With all the green space around Barrie there are lots of wildlife. Some of these are more welcome than others, because of the damage they cause. However, despite that there is something pretty wonderful about being so close to nature and the animals. Often there are surprises - on Dec 26th we watched a bald headed eagle trying to catch a fish off the end of my parents' boathouse, fighting against the winds battering it. There has been a family of mink living along the shoreline - lovely to see a mink coat worn as it should be, on the original owners, and funny to watch the mother mink teach her young how to swim. It wasn't so funny for my father to watch his expensive goldfish being caught by the mink, right behind his back!
This past weekend there was a large raccoon (the bandit!) treed by a noisy neighbour's dog. He/she wasn't too thrilled by me going outside to take its picture! By the time I had reached the house it was down and back to whereever home was - probably in the roof of the boathouse!

Enjoy a Bright Winter's Day

by CdnJane

Its a bright February day, the sun is sparkling on the snow, and what a wonderful day to be outside. Along the bay, who did I see but a lone crosscountry (Nordic) skiier. What a lovely way to get some exercise. Obviously crosscountry skiis, boots and poles.
Wear clothing that allows easy movement, and that breathes. You don't want to be soaking in perspiration as you travel.
Make sure that you keep the top of your head covered to keep in your body heat, and mitts are better than gloves apparently for keeping your hands warm. The gloves separate the fingers and that cools you out.
This picture was taken on Kempenfelt Bay, demonstrating that if you have the equipment, you can ski anywhere.

Plaques that Explain History

by CdnJane

Wandering about Centennial Park at Kempenfest I was just standing off the beaten path when I happened to see this sign. Now, I do not recall ever hearing about the ship, nor knowing anything about there being a wreck off the shore. Being a history "buff" I found it interesting, and just wonder how many other pieces of local history I have missed out on, by not seeing these signs. Now, I can warn folks who are bringing their boats into the Tiffin St. boat launch to watch out for the wreck! I thought that the only paddle boat was the one that is currently doing the tour of the bay.

Just for the Halibut We Ate Here mmmmm I'm Glad!

by CdnJane about Fancy's Fish and Chips

To be honest it wasn't the first choice today, but Mom's Pantry, just down the street, was closed for renovations (See my tip "The Pie's the Thing") and we just HAD TO eat out, so I suggested Fancy's which, like I said was just down the street.
Fancy's is said to have the best fish & chips in Barrie. After my meal today, I wouldn't disagree.
The atmosphere - nothing special, perhaps a little dark, so we sat by the window where there was the most light. The service - not rushed, and very polite and pleasant. The food reasonable and excellent. My memory of Fancy's really was very heavy/ too much batter, but not today.
Oh, and by the way, Fancy's is not named for the decor but the fact that family name of the people owning and operating the restaurant was in fact "Fancy". If you see the website for the restaurant, you'll see that the restaurant has been run by the family for 51 years, and that there has just been a death in the family, of Tom Fancy. I had the small Halibut dinner, and it was a large serving. I couldn't imagine having a large dinner. There was a choice of 2 sides - potatoes done several different ways, 2 or 3 different salads, and rice. I had halibut with fries (chips) and coleslaw. It was a lovely big piece of fish lightly battered - probably more fish in the one piece than many places offer in 2! I love vinegary-tart dressing on the coleslaw and I got that too, exactly to my liking. The chips were good and again, well cooked.
My table-mates decided it was brunch so they had the 2-egg special and all 3 had their eggs differently, and all 3 were very pleased with their meals. We were amused at the fact of their places being rectangular - so they certainly had a square meal.

Waterfront Park

by ianmac

The waterfront park is a great place for the kids to play, too jog, or for a romantic stroll. Although on a hot day, expect many other people with the same idea...for the most romantic strolls, go at night on a Summer`s eve.

Comments