19 Keith Avenue, Highway 26 West, Collingwood, L9Y 4T9, Canada
Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Cranberry Resort

Cranberry Resort - not as bad as I have read, but not great either...

We made reservations through RCI (exchanged our Fairfield points) and was given a confirmation letter stating the type of room and unit # we would be staying. 2 Bedroom w/full kitchen - unit #839.

We arrived at Cranberry around 8:30 p.m. on Wed., Oct. 26th. We walked into the reception area (nicely decorated) and proceeded to get our room. After telling the receptionist our last name - they gave us unit# 164. Ok, not the same unit as the confirmation letter - I didn't say anything, I figured I would take a look at the unit and if it wasn't to our liking we would inform them of the confirmed unit.

First off, there are no street lights in the whole complex - it is a mix of resort units and actual condo's owned by homeowners. They gave us a map at the front desk to get to our unit, but that only helped w/getting us in the right proximity - we searched for approx. 15 min. and stumbled upon our place. We had the upstairs unit - we walked up the 2 flights of stairs (enclosed) and walked in to our unit. You enter in next to the kitchen that leads into the living room area. On the right is one bedroom w/two beds and a full bathroom. From the living room there was another bedroom and a full bathroom. We had a balcony, but we didn't venture out on it - it looked a bit unsafe.

My first thought was, not bad, a little old looking though. Lots of space. The kitchen and living room area looked clean. Plus there was a washer and dryer inside our unit too.

The not so good: Like I said, lots of room, big rooms w/high ceilings - big spacious rooms take a lot of time to clean... the carpeting was not very clean - spotty (looked like oil spots in some areas), it felt crusty too (Yuck!). The carpet was throughout the bedrooms and in the living room. There was tile in the kitchen and bathrooms. The bathrooms had standup showers w/a seperate jacuzzi tub. Tiled showers that really needed to be cleaned - looked sort of moldy in the grout areas (double yuck!). The jacuzzi tubs had black mar spots on/in them (ewwwww!!!). The vents were caked w/dust in the living room, bedroom and bathroom.

I have allergies - I am allergic to dust and mold....

The night we got there, we were just so tired (I didn't really notice the above problems til the next day) - we just unpacked and went right to bed. That's when I realized there was a problem. I was itching the whole night and sneezing like crazy. That morning I told my husband that we need to wash the bed linens and get some Fabreze. That helped with the itchiness. But I just never felt really comfortable there.

After we Fabreze'd the place and washed the linens it wasn't that bad - heck we were only in the room to sleep because we were gone from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 at night.

Location: Cranberry is nestled between the Georgian Bay and Blue Mountain ski resort. Approx. 45 min. away is Barrie - a rather large city that has plenty of shopping and restaurants.

Downtown Barrie (older part) is also nestled on Kempenfelt Bay - there is a waterfront area w/stores and restaurants - I highly suggest going to Fitzy's Crab Shack (restaurant/bar) located at 143 Dunlop Street East. They have really great crab legs at a great price. We went there twice! Great appetizers too.

We also ate at Moose Winooskies in Barrie (newer part, on the main road) - they are known for their ribs. Delicious! Fun place too.

Cranberry is approx. an hour and a half away from Toronto. We went to Toronto twice - I highly suggest going to the indoor Farmers Market. Lots of tasty samples and it is just neat to see. Yonge and Dundas are the streets to check out. Lots of stores and tons of restaurants. You can walk Yonge (from Dundas) all the way down to the waterfront. It's approx. 3.5 miles, a very nice walk.

Cranberry is also approx. 15 min. away from Blue Mountain. Blue Mountain is very cool - especially if you are a skier. There is quite a bit to see and do. Lots of new hotels and condos.

We did have breakfast one morning at the resort - it was a buffet that was approx. $10.00 a person. They had scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes, sausage, pancakes and pastries. They also had cereal and melons. In my opinion, save your 10 bucks and go to Tim Hortons!

All in all, the trip was nice. Just a few snags w/the unit we had, but we did what we thought was best and fixed it ourselves. Although it still makes me itchy just thinking of the room....

Resort a big joke

After staying at this resort I was completely sorry we didn't stay at the Georgian Manor Resort just down the road. Cranberry resort is tired annd old and is in need of major maintenance in all areas of the resort. The staff in the hotel and service areas did not look happy and this was transmitted to us. They treat you like kids and charge for everything. The only good thing about this resort is it is close the the mountain and the town of collingwood.

P.S. Lots of places to eat in town alot less money than the hotel restaurant.

Definately a wonderful stay

by TripAdvisor Member planehopper

First off, after upon reading the other reviews I was terrified to continue to book my vacation at the Crannberry Resort. However, upon arrival to this WONDERFUL resort all we received was kindness, care, and concern from staff. I am a world traveler and I know the difference between a shabby resort and one that is not. This resort in my opinion is not shabby nor run down nor poor quality. The hotel is clean, up to date, and warm. Our suite was designed in beautiful decor (not the typical cheesy hotel kind)with great heated bathroom floors, and it was obvious how cleanliness is a factor the Cranberry Resort highly regards. We had dinner at the Garden Terrace, fusion between classic entrees and new urban styles. I had the chicken stuffed with brie and cranberries, the other guests meals ranged from terriaki steak, prime rib, to tender duck. All of us concurred that the meal was beyond average. In conclusion, the Cranberry Resort was beyond what was expected. It is a wonderful family resort with lots of activities for young kids to adults. Lastly I would like to point out that check in and out was fast and efficient with no hassles whatsoever. I will definately be returning to the Cranberry resort in the summer months to enjoy their golf and other warm weather activities! One more thing, its just seconds from Blue Mountain ... and it costs a whole lot less than resorts at the base of the mountain! BEAUTIFUL!

What a waste of time!

by TripAdvisor Member WishfulTraveller72

My husband and I just returned from a one night stay at the Cranberry resort as part of the promo deal and it was as awful as the other reviews have stated. I just wished I had reviewed the place before deciding to go!
I totally have to agree on the carpets...argh, I wasn't quite sure what the original colour was under all the dirt and definitely the Inn needs an overhaul. One look at the indoor pool and I only ventured into the whirlpool(only from coaxing from my husband) but could only stay for 5minutes before running back to my room for a hot shower to wash off.
The timeshare presentation was awful and we experienced the same rudeness from one of the reps when we declined(numerous times) to sign up. And, they did keep us there for 3hrs instead of the stated 2hrs.
I was so glad to leave and come back to the city!

Why all the bad reviews

by TripAdvisor Member ahdingho88

We read some very nasty reviews of the Cramberry Resort. In mid September we decided to take a last minute one week off, and since Cranberry Resort was the only place available within a short driving distance, we decided to take a chance. We had a two-bedroom unit in Club Cranberry in the Resort complex. The unit was very clean, spacious and well equipped. We've stayed at other time share units in Hawaii, Las Vegas, Arizona and I would rank this at par with those other places. We did not try the restaurant there. The town of Collingwood is so close by that we mostly bought grocery and made some simple meals, especially breakfast /lunch. Some people might find the resort a little quiet because there were not a lot of organised activities. But for us it was perfect. We took short trips to Blue Mountain Village, Wasaga Beach. Meaford, Thornbury and Owen Sound. We walked the trails, took the waterfalls tour, and golfed. There were five of us, my husband and I, our son, daughter-in-law and a new 3 month old baby. This was a wonderful relaxed vacation for us all!!!! We would definitely stay at the resort again next time.

Three stars? Maybe the resort property but not the Inn

by TripAdvisor Member Madforsalsa

Stayed at the Cranberry Inn just recently for a weekend two-night promotion. I'm not sure it was worth even what we paid for it (and that's not factoring in the nearly three hours we spent in the supposed two-hour timeshare sales presentation/tour - time is money, as they say).

As others have written, the accomodations aren't up to par (golf pun intended). If the standard room we stayed in is anything to judge by, and I'm sure it is, this is a two-star property at best. Two double beds only (no other options) and some of the dirtiest carpets I've ever seen. Note that the rooms at the Inn are no reflection on the quality of the condos - at least the one they showed us, which was spacious, clean and well outfitted.

The staff was friendly - no compaints there. Our dinners at the main restaurant were fine. Mine was a tad overpriced but the rack of lamb the missus ordered was better tasting and a bigger portion than the same she ate once at a very highly-regarded local restaurant. But to be honest, we wouldn't have ordered it if not for the vouchers. The breakfast buffet was okay - probably worth the $10pp - but I've had better at less pretentious establishments for not much more. (And could that toaster get any slower?)

With respect to the golf (it *is* called a golf resort, after all), with a 2-for-1 voucher the fee for weekend 18-hole play came to $112 for two people including cart rental (mandatory). That may not be out of line for the area (I haven't checked), but I can play on a weekend on local courses of similar quality (this one was very well maintained but the course design was nothing to write home about) for less *without* a 2-for-1 voucher.

Ah, the sales-pitch. The sales person was enthusiastic, to be sure, but not overly pushy. She did the old "my manager has approved another incentive just for you" routine near the end when she realized the fish was slipping the hook....er, the prospective customer wasn't going to take advantage of this wonderful opportunity. It was hard sell, sure, but on the softer side. (Ever experienced a Direct Buy sales pitch? Now there's hard sell.)

Everyone wants to sell you a timeshare nowadays. There's no cheaper way to vacation, they tell you. You can sell them at the end of ten years, for example, and completely recoup your investment, they say. Maybe but probably not. If it were that easy, there wouldn't be so many companies whose sole offered service is to help you get rid of your timeshare. Supply greatly exceeds demand, it would appear. And it's astounding to me that people actually own more than one - and purchased them through companies like this instead of at a discount in an oversupplied market (if they just couldn't resist the urge to become "vacation owners"). Caveat emptor...a BIG caveat emptor.

What really irked me was being asked just before we left for ten names (then five names, then just three names!) of other potential victims they could harass...err, prospective customers they could offer this wonderful opportunity to...in exchange for a free week's vacation. Is that worth more or less than the thirty pieces of silver Judas accepted in the Biblical story? I wouldn't give these people the names of my worst enemies. Okay, maybe I would in theory, but I just don't have that many enemies!

Saved by the law

Earlier in this month of August, 2005.
After attending the promotional overnight at the Cranberry Inn and hearing of their membership programme, we joined for the three-year term. After the hard sell and "sign now" approach, we came home and wondered what we really purchased. We read very bad reviews of this same place on Tripadvisor (and we really appreciate and thank you for this site!). We got really worried and after investigating, we discovered that the Ontario Gov't has just passed a law that includes a 10-day cooling-off period of any purchase. We wrote a registered letter to Club Cranberry and to their credit, they refunded us immediately.

We are very pleased.

Super nice resort

Four of us (my husband, myself, our son and his wife) enjoyed a week at this extremely nice, beautiful area resort. We stayed at the Fairways which I understand is an older part of the resort, but it has been well maintained. Each couple had a large bedroom with our own TV, and our own bathroom with Jacuzzi and shower. The living room was comfortable, dining area large enough, the kitchen was a little sparse on housewares, but not a problem. The unit washer and dryer was a nice convenience.

The resort sponsored several activities, one was a boat excursion on Georgian Bay which was scenic and enjoyable. They are also affiliated with Cantours which provide tours to Toronto and Niagara Falls during the week. We went on the one to Toronto and thoroughly enjoyed it. The tour guide, Rick, was one of the most knowledgeable persons, we have ever seen on a tour. We had already stopped by Niagara Falls on our way to the Resort. Both places are fabulous and must sees! We went to Blue Mountain Village on our own and it provided a fun day, strolling around, viewing the street side entertainers, going up the escarpement on a gondola, and enjoying an excellent lunch at one of the many outdoor cafes.

I found the Front Desk to be extremely accomodating and quick to respond.

The resort is in the business of selling timeshares, but though they asked, we were under no pressure to go thru a sales presentation. We have been timeshare owners and members of RCI for years, do not wish to buy anymore, so respectfully decline sales presentations. We had no problems with the sales staff insisting otherwise.

Inept, Inept, Inept

The alarm bells started when I confirmed my reservation. I had reserved a room for Friday October 7th only, and on Thursday October 6th decided to re-confirm our reservation. After the phone rang dozens of times, I was placed on hold for 10 minutes. Once I was connected to a human voice, I was informed that yes, our reservations for Thursday October 6th and Friday October 7th were indeed confirmed. Wha?? I had to explain to them that our reservations were for only the Friday night. Seemed like it was cleared up. I was glad I re-confirmed.
I also discovered in that same phone call that check-in time is 4 p.m. That is a lot later than I'm used to, and check-in time fell smack dab in the middle of cocktail hour at the wedding we were attending at the same resort.
So, fast forward to check in time. We decided to see if our room was ready early, it wasn't, but we decided to take care of the paperwork and come back later for the key. Sure enough, they were going to charge us for Thursday night, so our total was double what it should have been. We calmly explained their misunderstanding again, and they promised to fix it. After checking in we discovered that although the wedding was taking place at the same resort, it would be a rather long walk (with no sidewalks along the busy highway) to the wedding site from our room. We had to arrange for designated drivers (at an open bar wedding) as there were no shuttle buses in place.
The following morning we also discovered that they had failed to give us pink breakfast passes, so we had to wait in line at the front desk to ask for them, and prove that we were indeed entitled to an included breakfast buffet. An aside on the buffet - french toast was dry, had to repeatedly ask for orange juice, coffee and tea.
The room was mediocre, and the bathroom smelled continuously like cigarette smoke - the ventilation left a lot to be desired. We were on a non-smoking floor, by the way.

All told, considering the ineptitude of service, lack of proximity to the actual wedding site, and mediocre breakfast buffet, I wished we had stayed at a different (less expensive) hotel and grabbed breakfast on the go. At this point in time, it appears that they have only charged us for the one night, but I will be checking our credit card bill regularly to ensure that surprise charges do not turn up.

nice weekend

I was nervous about going up this weekend because of the reviews I had read here. Big surprise, room was clean, real glasses in the bath. We were there for a convention and the food was fantastic, buffet breakfast, the choice of subs and salads for lunch was great and the dinner was out of this world.

I would recommend this resort for anyones convention

Comments