10 Vacation Inn Drive, Collingwood, L9Y 5G4, Canada
Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Georgian Manor Resort

Happy time share owner at Georgian Manor Resort

We are members at Georgian Manor and are very happy. The new owners have made some important improvement since we bought our property.
There was some misleading information in the sales presentation and I have spoken to management about that. I would encourage others to do the same. Nonetheless, this is a well-managed resort with a bright future. We went to the sales presentation 2 years ago, knowing full well that the accomodation deal we took advantage of would involve time share marketing. We were hoping to buy as a cheaper alternative to a trailer or cottage since we have limited holidays anyway. I do not regret my decision one bit. Being members has opened us up to a wonderful world of travel possibilities. It would be great if the motel rooms were renovated at some point in the future affording us additional chances to stay at the resort in peak season. Our hotel room for the presentation was adequate, perhaps equivalent to two diamond accomodations with CAA. Understandably, the resort was only taken over by the management company a year ago and there are only so many things that can be taken on at one time. Motel rooms let out for next to nothing are hardly a major priority. Hope anyone that goes has fun. The condos are beautiful. We have enjoyed accomodations that we could never afford on a full-time basis.

Fantastic Time

Just returned from 1 week stay at the Georgian Manor. Our condo was very spacious and very nice. After reading some of the reviews here, we were a little hesitant about staying at the Georgian. Glad we ignored the terrible reviews! Had a wonderful time. The area is beautiful and we never lacked for things to do. There is a lot of work going on at the Manor which shows how dedicated the owners are to improvement. However, did not interfere with us at all. Wish we could have stayed longer!!!!

mini vacation

Someone also called us with the $65-promotion offering us great accomodation with 2 queen size beds large enough for 5 people -when we got there they offered us a very smelly room on the second floor ,with only one bed next to the window that one can step on to the roof and the view of another roof. When we asked for another room they said we could get something else for extra $50. the people at the front desk seemed very frustrated and said they cannot do anything else , all their rooms part of the promotion are awful. We did not stay and I guess will have to fight with visa to get our money back. Stay away from Georgian Manor -they are super crooks and no one was willing to discuss their misrepresentation

Buyer beware

We just returned from a two night stay at the Georgian Manor, where we upgraded to a one bedroom suite for an additional $50 per night. We were on the "let us show you the facility" tour, and were met by a cheerless woman who checked us off her list in a cold, perfunctory manner. The room was marginal, with a bizarre layout - couch in front of the TV, nothing in front of the fireplace... overall the look of a room into which furniture had been thrown without any thought whatsoever. The dining was two star at best (tough prime rib, absolutely leathern Cornish), cold cold dining room. Pool was cool, jacuzzi small... really a rather spartan place.

The kids enjoyed the club house events they attended, and the staff there were very friendly. The advertised "events" were a bit misleading, however, as you would expect a posted activity to last at least half an hour to an hour... the "cookie making and decorating session" lasted 10 minutes. But again, the people were nice there.

Then came the time-share sales pitch. Our salesperson was actually quite nice, but vanished when we made clear that we were absolutely not going to plop down $34,000 ... or $22,400... or $15,000..... or even $2,700 for a three year trial TODAY. We made clear that we were interested in studying the proposal and the resorts offered, but needed to do our homework before commiting. We asked about getting even one hour access to the websites that inventory available rooms, to see what is ACTUALLY available.. and were told that GOSH the salesperson didn't have a password, and when we kept asking kept getting our requests derailed. The catalog of rooms we were shown was dated 1996, a second was 2002. No one would answer questions about ANY specifics, and no one would give us any material to take or study.

The pitch was clever, keeping the price for the timeshare until the end, but saying at the beginning that it was "less than $100,000" , thus setting a high price in your mind. When the actual price was then brought in, why $30,000 suddenly seemed quite reasonable... and when this was dropped why it seemed a positive steal.

But this is no great bargain: before you plunge into the fantasy of cheap vacations abroad consider some questions. There is a long list of resorts, but how many rooms in each of those resorts are for timeshare members (1, 2, 3? booked years in advance???). Are these resorts near anything or out in the wop wops?? (eg. In all of New Zealand we could find only one listing for Auckland, none for Wellington or Christchurch. In Vancouver we saw one place listed. etc etc)

Another point to consider. How much are you really going to save, if anything. Do the math. Your holiday abroad is not going to cost the claimed $540/week. You still have to fly there, eat etc. And you are saving probably only about $300/week. Its going to take a long tame to make up your investment.

In short, the pitch was clear: buy today or get lost. Our response: if you have a good product, you welcome people investigating further. If not, what are you hiding?

Oh, about that spartan room we rented? After being taken on the tour of the gorgeous one and two bedroom units, supposedly the ones which members use, I asked at the front desk: Yep, the spartan room we were staying in was in fact one of the rooms designated for the timeshare members.

Read The Reviews Too Late - But Getting My Money Back

Well yes, I did it - read the reviews too late. I called Amex to have
them cancel the charge and they wouldn't do a thing about it - it was
my problem. So I called "The Manor", told them I was horrible upset
with they way it was represented to - that I've sat through a high
sales pitch in the past and I refuse to sit through one ever again - I
was told I would receive a tour of the facilities and an explanation of
what they offer but I didn't want to be pushed into something. They
agreed to refund my money and cancel everything - so I'm hopefully
getting my money back. All the best to all those who have the same
problem.

Nothing but the "Untruth"

March 11 2004Hotel rooms were run-down,dirty,water temperature changes from scalding hot to freezing,patio door did not lock,additional pillows are not available to guests.High pressure sales tactics used to sell timeshare,although they choose a fancier and more deceptive name for it. We explained we were not interested and the sales person who goes by the name of Joyce recommended that we pay an additional $50.00 so that we could leave because "she wasn't intrested in touring people who were not intrested in buying"We refused to pay any additional fee so we were escorted into another room where the sales video was about to begin. Minutes before the movie was about to start,Joyce walked back in and loudly explained to us that she had found 4 other people who were intrested in buying and she needed our seats. I went to the front desk and complained to the manager that we did not appreciate her embarassing us in front of all those people and being as rude as she was. Just then Joyce came out and told the manager that we were excused from the presentation because we were not interested. I told her that she lacked in people skills and that she had no right disrespecting us the way she did. At that point,she said "the name is Joyce and I have been selling real estate for twenty years" and she told the front desk to call security.

We did buy

If I had read the reviews in this site, I would never have repsonded to the special weekend offer. But I didn't, so my husband and I said what the heck and went in Dec 2003. We had been to the Florida pressured sales pitches years ago and were leery - we did not find the same thing here. I was not for it but as we are approaching retirement my husband was interested and we did buy. We figured that if we got 8 - 10 good vacations out of this, we would recoup our investment. Our first booking was a bit of a hassle but I complained to the VP and it all got straightened out. The rules and affiliations are more than a day's light reading for sure. But, we are off to Cayman for the first test of this plan next week - a $1800 US per week 1 bedrom condo for about $250 CDN -sounds good - and there is a $2000 savings already. We are selling our cottage so even having a week in Collingwood in the summer for a few years sounds okay. Definitely not for everyone - and I had nights where I wondered what I had done. But you can't sweat the small stuff in life and I am glad to at least read some of the better reviews here too. Our sales agent was nice - no real pressure or rudeness and the restaturant was good - room was only just passable. Would I do it again - probably would not have said yes to the weekend - I generally avoid anything over the phone but we did and we have it, so let's just enjoy it.

Good stay at the GMR!

When we saw all the negative reviews we were frightened, but the hotel room was very clean, spacious (we travelled with 3 kids), and nicely decorated. The pool was busy, but it WAS March break! We enjoyed using it, though. The restaurant had great food - we had dinner and all-you-can-eat brunch and both were fantastic. There were fun activities planned for the kids and they were taken very good care of.
We did the 90-minute tour and there was no pressure. We did not buy, and nobody was unpleasant about it. We did see how beautiful the condos were, though! Please don't rely on the negative reviews that are listed here. We went into it with our eyes open (the way everyone should go into these sorts of things), didn't expect to have a 2-night stay for $65 without seeing their presentation (it's only fair that we listen!), and were quite pleased with what we experienced all-round! We'd go back!!!

Not too bad...

My husband and I have just returned from the promotional 2 night stay.
We read the reviews first and so we were well prepared and cautious.
They did upgrade us for free to a nice suite (not a jacuzzi suite) but it had a nice kitchen and the room was not bad. We did have a minor problem with the water turning hot and cold during the 2nd , but not a big deal. The walls were thin, the service was average, the food was good, the pool always busy with kids. It was not a bad trip after all, as long as you don't give in to pressure as it is a very strong sales pitch. Our rep was nice, but then when we said no, 2 other ladies sat with us trying to convince us and were dropping the price. They offer many good incentives to make you decide today, but they won't let you think about it and call back, so that's why we said no. It was very tempting, but we are sure glad that we didn't, now that we think about it. The best advice I can offer is to decide beforehand if you will commit to $3,000-26,000 for vacation incentives or not. If you cannot finacially commit, then don't give in! Other than that, just determine to have a nice hotel trip and you will have it!

Satisfied member

I attended the mini vacation with my husband for 2 days and 1 night, decided to upgrade our room to a fantastic suite (king size bed, full kitchen, etc) for only 50 bucks... well worth it. Also, the restaurant offered amazing food. We decided to purchase the membership after a tour and presentation and have spoken with their membership staff since... we're already planning our next getaway!

Comments