1 Hospitality Dr, Fort Erie, ON L2A6G1

THE MOST IMPORTANT SIGN TO FOLLOWTHE MOST IMPORTANT SIGN TO FOLLOW

Travel Tips for Fort Erie

Take The Guided Tour

by MarieGutscher

Normally I am the type of person who'd rather drive rusty nails into my head than take a long boring tour with some guide that drones on and on and gives you so much information that you couldn't possibly absorb it let alone retain it.

However, I'm so glad my family wanted to follow the tour guides around (Teen Daughter thought they were "hot").
They were informative - entertaining and we learned quite a bit.
So if you end up going to the Fort - Do yourself a favour and take the tour.

communities

by davecallahan

Fort Erie is a collection of unique communities based on historical, economic and ethnic factors which range from railroad-centered neighborhoods to beach from locales to Black-freedom homesteads of the US slavery period.

The active communities in Fort Erie today are:
Waverly Beach

~ Fort Erie, Ontario ~

by noidiotsplease

Welcome to Canada

In the summer of 1992, I left the country for the first time. I was on a family road trip to Toronto and Niagara Falls with my parents and brother. We arrived in Canada via the Peace Bridge the primary link between Buffalo, New York and Fort Erie, Ontario. American and Canadian flags fly together across the length of this span, and a a bilingual sign welcomes the Canadian-bound in both English and French.

Our first stop on Canadian soil was at the border check in Fort Erie. A Canadian border patrol agent asked my parents if they were hauling any fruits, and asked if my brother and I were actually their children. We were not even asked for birth certificates -- even though we had them. Now, this was 1992, well before September 11, 2001, changed international travel policies, so I doubt that crossing the border would be as easy today as it was for us back then.

After that brief stop, we proceeded on a highway that from this point is called the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW) – definitely not an American name. We then passed our first eye-catching triple-digit speed limit sign – 100 kph. Of course, 100 kilometers per hour is about the same as 62 miles per hour, but the visual is striking to American eyes. Minutes into Canada and we were already being forced to use the metric system. We were now strangers in a strange land, and it was only a matter of time before we would start seeing “centre,” “harbour” and other British spellings that challenge our grammatical sensibilities.

Visit my ONTARIO page.

Fort Erie, Ontario

by davecallahan

Fort Erie was a town whose history includes the Underground Railroad; a system of hiding places and safe houses where escaping slaves could get away from the United States into Canada and safety.

Peace Bridge opened in the 1920's between Fort Erie and Buffalo.

wikipedia info:
about 30000 people

official website is: http://www.forterie.on.ca/
and also http://www.town.forterie.ca/

a tourism website for Fort Erie is: http://www.forteriecanada.com/

Fort Erie - Old and New

by taradactyl

Fort Erie - Site of battles from the War of 1812!

Nowadays, Fort still exists, beautiful homes, great for a weekend drive -

Also.... drinking age in Canada is 19, so Fort Erie is full of young Americans here for the booze and girls (many strip joints here)

Comments