Clarion Inn and Conference Center Gananoque

WeekendTraveller's Profile Photo

The Blinkbonnie Inn

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 11, 2011

My Husband and I arrived in Gananoque in the late afternoon and pulled into the first Inn we saw. We noticed a tour bus had just arrived and figured the Inn would have been booked. We were right, However; the Clarion has an attached Historical Mansion that had one room available with a King Size bed for $80.00 for the night. The clerk passed me the keys and sent me off to look at it first. My husband was waiting in the car, so off I went with the key through the pub and up the historical staircase. The decorating is dated and not true to the buildings historical designation, but extremely unique and entertaining. I arrived to the third floor to room 303 opened the door and was suprised by the grandeur of the room and the additional sitting room. 3 large windows across the front, a large fireplace and bath with a clawfoot tub. The furnishings where tacky, the drapes hung array, nothing matched, and the paint was peeling from the skyscrapping plaster cielings. FANTASTIC! It's certainly NOT the Hilton ... but definetly a 5 star experience, for an ecclectic couple such as ourselves.

I then skipped down the stairs with delight and with a smile stated "sold" to the clerk. She looked at me suprised and asked "are you sure?" "Yes!" I said with delight.

I went to get my Husband and he was equally delighted with our find. As we walked up the stairs of the masion I joked with my Husband that the organ at the bottom of the stairs looks haunted and we both laughed.

We had a great sleep and headed down the next morning to check-out. Each staff member at the Inn asked as we passed them by if we had a nice evening. We of course said yes and let them know we look forward to returning.

We then headed into the dinning room for breakfast. Somewhat pricey for breakfast, but The 1000 Island breakfast was DELICIOUS! We chatted with the very friendly waitress, she then dicovered we stayed in the Blinkbonnie ... she sighed and then told us the numerous stories of hauntings in the old building and then the clerk gave us a print out of some experiences in the Blinkbonnie.

Needless to say, we did not experience any para-normal activities, but we did experience an emmotional attachment when we departed.

Thank you for a wonderful and unique experience, we will be back! (soon :) )

Directions: The location is superb. No car needed and a very easy walk to everything that is beautiful about Gananoque.

Gananoque Travel Forum

Need advice about Gananoque, Canada? Visit the Travel Forum for Gananoque and ask our Answer Gurus.

Explore Deeper into Gananoque