50 Main Street, (formerly Blinkbonnie Inn), Gananoque, K7G 2L7, Canada

Hotels.com Travelocity Priceline.com

• WeekendTraveller's Profile Photo

The Blinkbonnie Inn

My Husband and I arrived in Gananoque in the late afternoon and pulled into the first Inn we saw. We noticed a tour bus had just arrived and figured the Inn would have been booked. We were right, However; the Clarion has an attached Historical Mansion that had one room available with a King Size bed for $80.00 for the night. The clerk passed me the keys and sent me off to look at it first. My husband was waiting in the car, so off I went with the key through the pub and up the historical staircase. The decorating is dated and not true to the buildings historical designation, but extremely unique and entertaining. I arrived to the third floor to room 303 opened the door and was suprised by the grandeur of the room and the additional sitting room. 3 large windows across the front, a large fireplace and bath with a clawfoot tub. The furnishings where tacky, the drapes hung array, nothing matched, and the paint was peeling from the skyscrapping plaster cielings. FANTASTIC! It's certainly NOT the Hilton ... but definetly a 5 star experience, for an ecclectic couple such as ourselves.

I then skipped down the stairs with delight and with a smile stated "sold" to the clerk. She looked at me suprised and asked "are you sure?" "Yes!" I said with delight.

I went to get my Husband and he was equally delighted with our find. As we walked up the stairs of the masion I joked with my Husband that the organ at the bottom of the stairs looks haunted and we both laughed.

We had a great sleep and headed down the next morning to check-out. Each staff member at the Inn asked as we passed them by if we had a nice evening. We of course said yes and let them know we look forward to returning.

We then headed into the dinning room for breakfast. Somewhat pricey for breakfast, but The 1000 Island breakfast was DELICIOUS! We chatted with the very friendly waitress, she then dicovered we stayed in the Blinkbonnie ... she sighed and then told us the numerous stories of hauntings in the old building and then the clerk gave us a print out of some experiences in the Blinkbonnie.

Needless to say, we did not experience any para-normal activities, but we did experience an emmotional attachment when we departed.

Thank you for a wonderful and unique experience, we will be back! (soon :) )

Directions: The location is superb. No car needed and a very easy walk to everything that is beautiful about Gananoque.

More about Gananoque

Garden and patioGarden and patio

Bad!Bad!

Ali and MeAli and Me

Gananoque area sheepGananoque area sheep

Travel Tips for Gananoque

Baseball cap. It is windy on the boat!

by janika

leave your luggage in the closed trunk of your car. Sandals or light running shoes. has to be very comfy. Gravol or some sort of anti-nausia pill if you get sea sick. Sometimes the St Lawrence river gets wavy and rough. Camera, film, xtra battery, NIL Food. Especially when you're with children. There is a snack bar on the boat but expensive and nothing healthy other than sodas, candy bars and hot-dogs.

Gananoque

by joanj

"Our gateway to the Thousand Islands"

When I stayed with friends in Ottowa, they took me on a lengthy trip down to Niagara Falls.

En route they promised me a wonderful afternoon on the water.

Well it was just that, I had never heard of Ganonoque and the Thousand Islands, but I was in for a treat.

The picture here shows the friends having a snack in Ganonoque Town. It was a shame we did not have the time to explore further than an eatery, but time was against us.

The town is 90 miles from Ottowa and 179 miles from Toronto.

UPDATE -
May 2005 back in the Thousand Island area please check out my album of these islands

photo joanj

"Map detail"

Here the map shows you the routes that can be taken on the boats.

There are 3 hr cruises, 1 1/2 hr cruises and a 1 1/2 hr. evening sunset cruise, Obviously times are seasonal.

Tel. 613 - 382 - 2144 for information.

"Boldt Castle"

There are over 1,700 islands on this scenic stretch of the St. Lawrence River.

On one of the islands you are able to stop and visit is Boldt Castle, the unfinished dream of a penniless immigrant who became the millionaire owner of the Waldorf Astoria, New York.

The castle was a gift for his wife, who died before it was completed.

Boldt's personal chef, Oscar, created Thousand Island salad dressing as a tribute to the region.

Comments