Grand Bend Hotels

• Steve-O13 profile photo Steve-O13
  • Reviews: 1

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

The Beach Huts Grand Bend: Hugely Disappointing

Overall, the stay was extremely disappointing, and I would never rent again at the Beach Huts. The cleanliness, service, and everything that came with the huts was not at all acceptable. The cottages were filthy and run down, and by no means fit to rent to anyone. Upon leaving the huts we swept, bagged and binned out garbage, and ultimately left the place nicer than when we had arrived. The owners claimed that due to the fact we left a beer bottle, 4 bags of garbage (tied and cleaned), and a small amount of candle wax had spilt on the stone (I scrubbed it nearly entirely off), that we would not be receiving out $360 security deposit back. I go the run around for several weeks about it and in the end they ignored my e-mails regarding the situation. After a plethora of lies they finally admitted via a phone call that they never had any intentions of returning the money and it was already spent. Beware of the Beach Huts, I can guarantee that if you stay here, you will be disappointed with your experience.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written August 2, 2013

• Kaspian profile photo Kaspian
  • Reviews: 273

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Pinery Provincial Park: A Nice Campground With a Great Big Beach

Coming from Northern Ontario, I learned that I have a completely different notion of what "camping" is compared to the ideas of my Southern Ontario counterparts. Where I come from, camping is half scenes from "Lord of the Flies" and half experiences from "Deliverance." The Pinery, well... This is posh camping!
You have to reserve a spot months in advance to get a plot at the Pinery. You buy your firewood for $25 per bag at the entrance--nope, no need to chop wood and besides, it's against the rules. Inside the park you'll find large bathrooms with running water, flushing toilets, and hot showers. Sounds like a fancy restaurant, doesn't it? Errr... Matter of fact, there is a hamburger restaurant on the grounds. Other fancy features include bike/kayak/canoe/boat rentals, groomed trails, educational programs, and an "outdoor ampitheatre" (whatever that is).
When we reach our plot in an area known as "The Dunes", I'm surprised and a bit disappointed. Looking around I can see at least 8 different camps within a weak arm's stone's throw of where we're setting up our tents. ...And they're all watching us. I sneer but wave a friendly "Hello." So much for privacy in wild abandoned nature! This is as crowded as a mall.
The selling point of the Pinery, at least to me, is its spectacular beach on the shore of Lake Huron. This beach astonishes me! It looks like something from the Caribbean--neon blue water and fine white sand that stretches as far as the eye can see in both directions.
That night, as we roast marshmellows around the campfire, I hear a noise in the underbrush near our campsite. I aim a flashlight towards the noise and light up about 20 sets of eyes on the masked faces of raccoons. I salute the leader of the raccoon army. "Looks like we're surrounded," I say to my group, "We'd better surrender peacefully and give up the marshmellows."

• Opinion of Price: about average