Hamilton Hotels

Our Members Say

• CdnJane profile photo CdnJane
  • Reviews: 517

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Howard Johnson Royal Connaught Plaza Hotel: It Was THE Hotel in Its Day - A Day Long Gone

This hotel was picked because of its proximity to the Copp's Colliseum, and a good rate on the Net.
The Royal Connaught was THE hotel of Hamilton in its day - the ballroom on the top floor with THE dance bands of the age. However, that day has long gone... in fact was probably over before I was born!
The lobby is that of a bygone age, the front desk staff friendly and very helpful.
The elevator struck me as being a little on the old side, but still extremely efficient.
The age of the hotel struck me when I got to my floor... the wallpaper was needing replacement. When I got in the room, it was definitely needing to be refurbished. There was no tissue box in the bathroom and we had trouble working the tv. However, the room was clean, the sheets clean and the bed comfortable.
There was an outdoor parking lot, right next door. Overnight parking was $8.00 but with the parking voucher, the hotel stamped it and we got the money back.
It was handy to the concert site we were there for, which meant that we could have a couple of beers and not worry about driving. As well, it was quite easy to get to from the highway. Going back to the 403 was simpler, staying on King Street.(a 1-way street).
Considering the price and the convenience, we got what we paid for - cheap and handy!

I didn't check it out, but apparently they have quite the pool with a big slide. The bar and restaurant are rated as being quite good. We went to the Tim Horton's down the street, it was cheaper.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written September 24, 2003

• nighthawk profile photo nighthawk
  • Reviews: 1438
Too good to have a name :-): Private lodging

First Canadian home I ever saw in my life.....I liked it :-)

The host and his wife were very kind and loving! If ever I get stranded near Clappison's corner I sure know where to go to :-)

• Opinion of Price: N/A