Osler House

More about Hamilton

The viewThe view

By the Mill FallBy the Mill Fall

Visitors watching from 180 degreesVisitors watching from 180 degrees

A view of the golf course and Hamilton's downtownA view of the golf course and Hamilton's downtown

Travel Tips for Hamilton

Hiking on Bruce Trail for reaching Borer's Fall

by Faiza-Ifrah

We were totally drenched by perspiration during the hike in a sweltering 36C (with a humidex of 41 C) on the Bruce Trail (Ontario's very humble answer to the great American Appalachian Trail) to reach the Borer's Fall. This was July 7, 2010. The foliage was dense all along the trail, adding to the humidity (picture 4 and 5). My daughter always questions me on my clothing during the hikes. She says I am overdressed, but that helps me. You may not believe, but I have gotten sunburns on quite a few occasions and my stole acts as a protector.

At couple of places the trail squeezed past between the Rock Chapel Road and the deep ravine, forcing us to jump over the railing on to the road for security. Ideally, we should not be doing it though. Hiking on Bruce Trail is a pleasure normally, specially for the variation in foliage all across Ontario. However, on this particular day, it was a total nightmare.

A small departure from the Bruce Trail took us to the head of the Fall. We sat down here for a rest, drinking fluids, and pictures (pictures 1, 2, and 3). The heat had taken a heavy toll on our spirits.

In order to reach the Fall, we took Hwy 401 West towards London from Mississauga. Then took the Hwy 6 S (Hamilton) exit and travelled approximately 20 km to Hwy 5 E. (Dundas St. E.). We turned right on Hwy 5 E. and then turn left onto Rock Chapel Rd. At the Escarpment brow, we parked at the Rock Chapel Sanctuary (unsigned) and followed the Bruce Trail north to the waterfall lookout.

Journey behind the Smokey Hollow Falls

by Faiza-Ifrah

There was a roughly done track by hikers and teenagers populating the area all the way down to the bottom of the gorge. The stream was shallow below the falls and rocks from landslides made crossing over it easy. Children under the guidance of our friend descended the gorge, crossed the stream downstream of the falls and then headed for the falls to go behind the falling waters, i.e. under the outcrop. This is not always the best thing to do under falls located in an unstable area due to (1) the outcrop may be weak and may fall down anytime and (2) the clay / rock may be very slippery. The 2nd of those problems hit the youngsters hard. Not only did they tremble, they had all their clothes muddied.

My friend and I watched in horror from the platform on top of the falls. My husband was not part of either group. He kept busy monitoring thunderstorm :-)

The thunderstorm did come, but the second and a heavier one caught us during our next adventure of exploring Cliffview Falls.

....the jazz place on the corner

by Anita_Porec about Sundried Tomatos

Most days...(i'm really not sure which)...you can listen to live jazz music at the Sundried Tomatos. It's more of a romantic night out or even a girls night out, but nothing too loud.... The place is small, not expensive at all....but nice and classy:)

Royal Botanical Gardens

by dtamas

Visit the Royal Botanical Gardens. RBG - right in the vicinity of Hamilton - features many gardens, sanctuaries and trails providing long hours of refreshment for the visitors. Spring blooms, summer is hot :) , autumn is full of colours. What else do you need?
Anyways, there are only six botanical gardens on the world marked 'royal', that makes this one even more unique!

Dundas Peak

by windsorgirl

Only a 2km walk along the Bruce Trail from Tews Falls will bring you to the Dundas Peak lookout. From here you will have a view across the entire Dundas Valley, including the town of Dundas, Hamilton, and Hwy 403 to the west. I would imagine that autumn would provide a spectacular view with the trees in full colour.

Comments