Near tragedy at Rice Lake!
"Sept. long weekend 2000!"
Lynda & I had a very close call when we went down to the lake for the september long weekend. We got in late on friday night & went to bed about 1:30AM. We both woke up in the middle of the night & did not feel good at all. Lynda went to get up to go to the bathroom collapsed to the floor as soon as she stood up. I went to help her out & I realized that I was also unable to stand up without collapsing. It turned out that I ended up passing out on the bed, but Lynda found the strength to make it to the door & call for help. Her dad's dog (picture above) which was in the cottage next door started barking when he heard her voice which in turn woke up her dad who came over to see what the problem was.
It turned out the we had carbon monoxide poisoning from the propane fridge & it took my inlaws and the neighbours to pull us out of the cottage. We were then airlifted back to Winnipeg by helicopter were we spent the next half day in the hospital on oxygen to get the carbon monoxide out of our system. Actually, it took almost 3 weeks after to get all of our strength back and for us to feel that we were back to normal.
I have to thank my wife Lynda for finding the strength to make it to the frt door of the cabin to call for help. I also owe Burton's dog Piper for barking persistantly, Burton & Joan, Jim & Leslie and Brian & Shawn for pulling us out of the cabin and taking care of us until the air ambulance showed up.
It turned out being quite an experience & frankly, I think that I will be looking at life a little bit differently now. After a close call with death, you tend to realize what the important thinks in life are.