55 Minthorn Crt, Markham, ON L3T7N5
Orbitz.com Travelocity Booking.com

More about Markham

One section of buffetOne section of buffet

Fish being prepared for a customer.Fish being prepared for a customer.

View of Pacific Mall and parkingView of Pacific Mall and parking

Outside view of SupermarketOutside view of Supermarket

Richmond Hill vs Toronto and surrounding areas

by carlosjrferrer

Hello to All

Could you please provide feedback on the following?

Toronto is such a big and congested city, we all know, but how about living in Richmond Hill? Is it quiet there? Is it congested as Toronto? Are there any other cities good for families close to Richmond Hill, like Aurora, etc?

Is Richmond city good to raise kids? Is it safe? Is it expensive?

Any information will help!

Kindly
Carlos F

by YVRDave

I don't know much of those areas but, I have friends raising kids in Brampton, Caledon and Whitby. All from middle to upper middle class. They seem to be very happy in those areas! They also have spent many years there and have a network of friends so it must be easier.
I would expect there are many pros and cons in all areas.
What would you be looking for and expecting of a neighbourhood? Malls, playgrounds, schools, recreation, access to wilderness, multiculturism, select cultures, low crime, street markets.... it go on?
I'm not trying to be trite but, there are many factors to be considered!
I am single and childless but, my ideal neighbourhood, if family inclined, would be filled with families of educated, successful, education oriented families. The area I grew up, it was like that when I was young, isn't like that anymore. Alot but not all families are more wealth driven than success driven.
You may want to look for an area that is just out side of an expensive area where people strive to make life better for their children but, have access to all the benefits to the best of the best. Then employ your children to make good choices. I'm sure you do already.

OK that is a bit of a rant but, I wish you the best of luck.

by Mikeycanuk

Hmmmm I live in north Rich/Hill. I've never lived in Toronto (TO). It's quiet but that would depend where you are and who you've got for neighbours. I'm lucky in that regard. It's not congested where I am. But in the center of town it's a single lane but there are parallel streets that will get you around. Also you won't want to be working in TO. The 404 South is bad at the best of times, but I only take it on the weekends if I need to shop downtown. We have lot's of Ice rinks, community centers and the like. I've never had a break-in, or my neighbours. The parking enforcement is nazi-like. We used to live in a townhouse and the guy would take a tape measure to measure the distance I was/wasn't over the sidewalk. Got a lot of $20 tickets before we moved. Problem is unless you want to spend under $350,000 you will only get a townhouse with limited parking and places to put the snow. Also south r/hill is a lot pricier than northern r/h.

Aurora is 10 mins north and getting just as built up. There is a lot of new homes being built in Maple (Vaughan) at the moment.

by brandofan

Well i live an hour away but have friends and family in and around toronto. Basically the further away you are from the downtown core the cheaper it is with the exception of Oakville which is really quite expensive. Richmond hill and vaughn and as I am sure the suburbs are exploding and as mentioned scanning each neighbourhood for personal taste would tell you weather or not you would be confortable living there. I live outside so some people in my town hate the area and some like myself love it. SO it is a matter of taste. Canada on a whole inmy opinion is very safe. It has a low crime rate great health care and great education. We are very multi cultural and have a greater degree of tolerence to races but you must keep in mind that since we are a country of imigrants some areas of toronto and the burbs are heavily catered to a background. ie My friends live ina neighbourhood which is probably 80 percent italians but we love there food and soccer so great for us . But it something to keep in mind also comuting is something to research as it depends where you work and what you are willing to commute. I hope this helps. Ou yeah expect to pay from what I know $500,000 and up for homes there. Thats a rough guess but should be pretty close. Houses start I believe at 1400 sq feet and lots are 32x100. Oh yeah the basement is not included for your sq ft. you can also check toronto or maybe ontario homebuilders association for companies to give you a better idea.

by CdnJane

As the previous responders have said, it is not an easy matter to say where is the best place to live. Toronto can be congested and busy, but yet there are some nice family oriented areas, such as Willowdale/North York.
Expense - well homes out of Toronto are getting increasingly more expensive - right up to Barrie, where you can pay the same price for a house as in Toronto, and then, you have to take into account the cost of commuting into the city for work - the cost in time and dollars (gas/bus/rail costs).
Newmarket as well as Aurora and Richmondhill are all growing areas with lots of families. Remember too, though, as these communities grow to bring in all the families who like the idea of a smaller community, the nature of the place changes as the infostructure grows to provide all the "necessities", and the costs go up. The roads become wider and more congested, the cute little shops give way to the super-stores, the people become more rushed because of having to deal with the faster pace.
The safety factor is totally questionable. The majority of people I know have never encountered any trouble, but then again, the violent crimes happen more and more frequently. Quiet, peaceful neighbourhoods don't make the news, but who knows what goes on behind closed doors! Drug problems are everywhere, and the increase in people trying to get money to pay for their habits increase violence, and that can happen anywhere, with anyone one, no matter the economic situation. Lots of the problems seem to happen in the "wee hours" of the morning around bars - most, of course, not all - but the thing is, if you aren't out and about then, the likelihood of having trouble is pretty slim.
Is it expensive - compared to some cities, no, but I don't think anywhere in an urban centre is inexpensive anymore. Good luck.

by carlosjrferrer

Thanks to all for the opinions!

I will have to go around and check all the areas. I will be working in Richmond Hill but just don't want to live in congested areas, would like to use my car to go to work and come back easily. As of now, I like Aurora. Any other areas you would recommend?

You all take good care
Carlos

Travel Tips for Markham

ADJACENT MALLS 5..~ side exterior ~

by Martman

This area is so beauitful, I gladly devoted a page to this exterior. We are looking at the back of Market Village. It dissolves into one thin passage with shops on one side and exit doors on the other. That corricor eventually reaches the supermarket. After the supermarket, the shops are exterior facing.

I really love these malls as they add culture to the city. When family visited us in Toronto, I took them to the malls. They were fascinated. I then tried convincing them that they are still in the Toronto area!

ADJACENT MALLS 1 Front Exterior