Ace of Hearts Bed and Breakfast

Monticello Grille HouseMonticello Grille House

THE WHEELTHE WHEEL

I need Help!!! Questions about my upcoming trip

by yazoobelle

I am planning a suprise trip for my husband the last week of April to Niagara Falls (he thinks we are going to my high school reunion, he he!) and we are flying into the Buffalo Airport. We will be getting there mid day on a friday and leaving early monday I have several questions and would appreciate any and all help!

1) Would you recommend booking a hotel or a cabin? (I think it is still to cold for camping but my husband loves the outdoors. If so which would you recommend?)
2) What type of transportation do you think would be best? (i.e. rent a car, take taxi or shuttle from airport, public transportation)(especially tips on how to get from the Buffalo airport to the Canadian side for Cheap!)
3) Are there any problems I should be aware of if we decide to stay on the Canadian side? (We are American citizens with no passports, only DL and birth certif.)
4) What restaurants do you recommend for a reasonably priced food? (A low to medium budget answers here would be appreciated)
5) Are there any outdoor activities that you would recommend (We plan to do the Behind the falls, maid of mist, aero car, etc. and are looking for anything else outdoors to fit in while we are there.)

Thanks so much for your help!

by Jefie

Hi! I can't answer all of your questions, but here are some tips, and hopefully other VTers will fill you in for the rest. First, I think you should know that most of the activities you plan on doing (Journey Behind the Falls, Aerocar) are located on the Canadian side of the Falls, so I'd recommend staying in Canada. As American citizens, you don't need a passport to cross the border, any government-issued photo ID will be accepted. If you feel like going camping, I could recommend renting a cabin at the KOA (http://www.koa.com/where/on/55201/). I've never stayed at the one in Niagara Falls, but so far I've always had great experiences at KOA campgrounds. As for outdoors activities, there are several listed on the Niagara Parks website (http://www.niagaraparks.com/), and I'd also recommend renting a bike as there's a nice path that goes between Niagara Falls and the town of Niagara-on-the-Lake (http://www.niagarabicycles.com/).

I hope this helps a bit, have a wonderful trip!

Isa

by brandofan

I can only ay that crossing the border from what I heard you might need a passport. From what I know as a canadian we need one to cross your border and that is fairly new so double check to be sure. As per transport. Depends on how much you want to see and do but a car is best as being in north america it is big and long distances should be expected if you want to venture beyond the city limits. Restaurants are tough because the falls area itself is touristy I have alwaysed found the food pricey and poor in quality. But hey thats me. There alot to choose from but if it is a big event and you dont mind splashing abit I highly recommend eating at one of the wineries in Niagra on the lake.

by neverstoptravel

1) It's cold for camping overnight, booking a hotel is much better. For $70/night you may get a very decent hotel by Niagara falls if you book on hotwire.

2) Rent a car.

3) http://www.amcits.com/enter_canada.asp, passport is not required if you have birth certificate with picture ID.

4) Don't know your tastes. But I always go to Applebees under Ambassador Suites, or a restaurant in the corner of Clifton Hill. More restaurant along Lundy's lane.

5) Journey behind the falls, maid of mist, aero car. Check out the official links above MTer posted.

by Faiza-Ifrah

3 attractions that may interest you:

1. watching spring blooms around the falls
2. bird kingdom (bird park)
3. butterfly conservatory

i would suggest that you stay on the canadian side, rent a car, and explore niagara parkway for everything it has to offer.

Travel Tips for Niagara Falls

IMax Theatre

by tpangelinan

Check out the IMax Theatre if you have a rainy day during your stay up here. Catch a the DareDevil Gallery, the National Geographic Store, and watch the IMax film and hold on to your seat for some fun. See the DareDevils and death defying stunts that have taken place over the years.

(905) 358-3611
Fax: (905) 358-3613

Don't leave home without...

by Allikatac

Have ID on you for the border cross. Make sure to bring a coat, preferably a rain coat with a hood. lots of film for the breathtaking views money, money, money. Gambling and drinking ate up most of mine.

Canadian currency burning a hole in your pocket?

by aphrodyte about Casino Niagara

Since, December 1996, Casino Niagara currently generates more than $2.5 billion in canadian currency, and employs approximately 3,800 people. What is not know by the average tourist is that Casino Niagara plies a considerable amount of money to donations, sponsorships, and fund raisers.

A few months after they opened their doors they created a program called Casino Niagara Cares. Their mission is to improve the lives of as many of Niagara’s citizens as possible through donations to health care, the environment, education, the arts, culture, heritage and other charitable causes.

Very noble...now on to the good stuff...

There are 2,800 slot machines, 135 table games (my favorite is black jack), four restaurants and eight bars spread throughout several floors. Elevators and escalators can get you to each floor quickly and efficiently. The enormous room that houses the majority of the table games has an extremely high vaulted ceiling. ornately decorated and very chic.

Canadian currency is what is used and there are several currency exchange services throught the casino. (of course!)

19 and up can enter with a valid ID.

Near Casino Niagara, you will find a convenient parking garage along with additional parking at off-site lots. Valet service is also available.

Another casino is currently being built by the same company. It will be larger, have the addition of a hotel and meeting space, more entertainment and retail venues and it will overlook Horseshoe Falls. (sort of las vegas meets nature thing.) Casual wear is acceptable, however it is very posh looking.

NO SHOES,
NO SHIRT,
NO NOTHING!

ining in Niagara on the Lake

by Suzanne123 about The buttery

Niagara on the Lake is for expensive Fine Dining. Niagara Falls is for cheap & tacky. The Buttery is located down the road from the falls in a fairey town place called Niagara on the lake. Follow the river down from the falls past the peace bridge and continue on. Pass the floral clock and follow directions for Niagara on the Lake. The Buttery seemed to be the only "less formal" place to eat., just past the clock tower on the main street. I think it is inexpensive for Niagara on the Lake, but expensive compared to Niagara Falls. A family of four will spend approx. $180 to eat here. Everything is great. I had Fish & chips AND an avacado &cucumber sandwich with a salad on the side. Soups are $7, the sandwich and salad was $10. For desert they had a blackbery crumble , a fool, an apple dumpling, and a missisipi mud!!!!! I choose the Missisipi mud because I am a chocolate lover. It was wonderful and it was the highlight of my birthday. It was made with an oreo cookie crumb type crust, with a cappicino flavored ice cream in the centre and a chocolatey fudge driseled on the top

Bad Breakfast Buffet

by kazander about Wedgewood Resturant

As guests of the Days Inn Near the Falls, we were given coupons for 20% off the breakfast buffet across the street. We went. It was not good. The bacon was either small burnt pieces or raw slabs. The eggs were runny. The pancakes dried out. The coffee bitter. And the Orange Juice was from concentrate....
I don't know if you would find it a better alternative, but Denny's is right across the street.

Comments