Howard Johnson By The Falls

Expedia.com Travelocity Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 2 star hotels

• Not happy at at all!!

Review I left on a different site where the manager responds.
    My husband and I are smokers, unfortunately, so we booked a room with a balcony because they are the only rooms that you are permitted to smoke,(on balcony only) which didnt bother us at all. So my husband and I were very careful to ONLY smoke on the balcony and to make sure that the balcony door was closed while we were doing so. We also noticed that the rooftop below us was littered with cigarette butts because while you are allowed to smoke they do not provide ashtrays so we thought instead of adding to the mess we put our butts in cups and drink bottles!!. Upon checkout we waited while security went up and checked the room, no problem, I thought, so when the manager informed me that there was evidence of us smoking in the room, I was stunned!!!...while cleaning up the balcony we brought in the cups and bottles and left them in the room, all cigarettes were out long before they were brought into the room. we made sure of this!!! I was told that there were ashes in the room, and I told him to please show me what he was talking about, he would not, the cups with the extinguished cigarettes were thrown in the garbage by my husband before we left so I dont know how the actual smell of smoke could have happened. I believe that them seeing the butts that they very wrongly assumed that we were smoking in the room when we took EVERY precaution not to let any smoke come into the room!!! Although we did enjoy the room, and loved the view, we were definitely thinking about rebooking with them again, it spoiled our whole weekend when we checked out and were told that we would be charged a fee for deodorizing the room!!! I was so upset by this and since there was a line of people behind me waiting to check out (embarrassing) I swore to the manager on duty (Kevin) and tried to explain that we definitely HAD NOT smoked in the room and that there were NO ASHES anywhere in the room and wanted him to show me where these so called ashes were he would not, so I stormed out and let my husband know what was said and he then went in to go and talk to the manager about it, the manager would absolutely not listen to anything he was saying. Believe me, I would NOT be this upset if I thought for a second that he was right!!! I am not that kind of person, but I am totally stunned by this and feel that we are being penalized for trying not to litter and truly thought that we were doing a good thing...NOPE. I know that the manager will reply below and say that the room "had an odor of smoke" but this is ABSOLUTELY 100% NOT TRUE!!!! I will be contacting their corporate office to let them know what happened and I dont know if there will be any resolution to this but they need to know. As a matter of fact, there was a room close to us on another balcony that was smoking so much pot that my husband and I were afraid that as we were going in and out of the balcony the smell would get into our room and we would be blamed for it, we almost called down to tell the front desk that is was not us in case it did permeate our room but we didnt want to cause any trouble. Whew, sorry this is long winded but I just had to get it out because we were so upset by it. If I can fight this any other way I would LOVE to know how, maybe when you reply to this Kevin, you can let me know.

• Understanding? Not a chance

This would have been our second stay at this property. We've stayed before on a one-night package so we knew what we were getting. This is an older property that, while relatively clean, has to strive hard to reach its two star rating. The only reason we were coming back is because the hotel takes dogs.

We were booked for tonight, Friday May 18th. Our senior dog, very unexpectedly, got very sick this morning and we're not going anywhere. The LAST thing I wanted was for this to happen, I'm worried sick.

Like I said, we've stayed here before and I know the 48-hour cancellation policy drill that this property enforces. I've never tried to weasel out of any hotel policy before. I respect the rules completely as a hotel guest, but this property takes 'lack of understanding' to a whole new level.

Spoke to Front Desk Mgr. Brendan this morning to basically plead for cancellation outside the 48 hour window. He wasn't rude, but I'm a wreck here and his lack of sympathy was palpable. Then I called manager Kevin and got the "sorry about your dog ma'am but a rule is a rule." For the record, I detected far more polite condescension than sympathy in his voice. I get that he probably has to deal with complaints all the time. Like I said, I'm not usually the type to complain, or renege on policies but his lack of genuine helpfulness in providing any resolution outside of 'rule is a rule' has left a really bitter taste in my mouth.

Obviously I'm spewing words here right now because I love my dog and I'm worried!!!! I didn't expect this to happen and my emotions are really getting the best of me. I guess I was looking for bare-minimum decency and sympathy in a pretty desperate situation. Funny thing is, a couple of weeks ago I was reading through some of mgr Kevin's responses to posts on this forum. He likes to state that he always looks for ways to accommodate guests in conflict situations, to ensure the satisfaction of both parties. He definitely did not assist me in any way so I completely doubt both his sincerity and his ability to resolve conflicts like he seems to think he can.

• the falls

My girlfriend and I have stayed at this hotel twice. Both times have definitely met our expectations. Located a block away from Clifton Hill, and is surrounded by various restaurants and attractions. The hotel room is very standard, but clean and all you need to enjoy your time at the Falls. There is a pool, but not as big as the pictures reveal. Ice machines are located on 3 separate floors, with vending machines. Depending on which part of the hotel you're located at, the views are good.
    It's a very large hotel, so there are many different age groups- partying and loudness may be a problem for you. The hotel also has restaurants within it- a KFC and Baskin Robins.

Unique Quality: The only problem with this hotel is- you have to pay extra for parking. I don't think it's right to pay on top of what you're already paying for the hotel room. The cost is $10 extra, which isn't that bad, but just doesn't make sense to me.
    Overall, if you're just looking for a standard room to sleep in with an affordable price, this hotel is the one for you.

Directions: A block away from Clifton Hill

• ****SCAM*** Do not stay there

This is my worst stay ever in Niagara falls. I booked the two-day indoor fallsview waterpark package. All the other hotels in Niagara that are offering a similar package, would give the waterpark passes for two days. I was told by the receptionist that the passes would be valid till 3 PM on the checkout day. When I tried to go on the day of the checkout, I was not permitted and was in fact told that I was admitted yesterday by mistake since the passes were only valid for one day. I called the supervisor of the front desk from the waterpark who was very rude and just told me that they only give daily passes and that there was nothing he could do and ended up by hanging up the phone.
    He also told me that unlike all the other hotels (Crowne Plaza, Sheraton by the falls, hampton inn and Skyline inn) they only offer the passes for one night. Keep in mind that when you make the reservation, you get a warning if you have more guests than passes but you don't get a warning if you have more nights than passes). I actually paid full price for the extra passes for my kids because I thought they were for the full stay, even though I could have got them from costco for half the price, had I known that they were for just one day.
    When you call the reception, they claim that the waterpark is within a 5 minute walk (it's actually a 20-minute walk). They say they are within one block from the falls (a 45 minute walk from the Canadian falls).
    The hotel itself is very old and outdated. The bathroom is very small. Beds are very uncomfortable. Bed covers were very old and had a hole in them. The Hotel entrance is right behind KFC, so the smell was really bed (kind of a greasy kitchen).
    The pool is very small. The hotel has one elevator so I had to take the stairs most of the times from the 6th floor instead of waiting for it.
    Totally not worth the money. Will never stay at any Howard Johnson again.

• wowzerz1981's Profile Photo

Always Bring an extra Towel

Okay the accomodations inside the room were completely awesome but when it came to the pool and the hot tub it wasn't the greatest. The pool and hot tub looked like it had not been cleaned for a while. On top of that it was cold. so Always make sure to bring an extra towel because you'll be cold just getting out of the pool.

Unique Quality: The location was right near Clifton hill and had great parking.

• redhed410's Profile Photo

Excellent hotel

Fantastic hotel. The staff was helpful, nice. The location was amazing. Its located right on Victoria Ave, which is pretty hopping. Its one block from Cliffton Hill, and one more block from the Falls. We were four girls in uncomfortable shoes and we were able to walk everywhere!!! Price was completely reasonable.

Unique Quality: The indoor/outdoor pool was lots of fun (although a little cold) for hungover mornings. There is a waterslide and a hot tub which we made good use of. We were also lucky enough to score a balcony room...my smoking friend like that. Also, the Friday fireworks were visible from that balcony.

Directions: One block from Clifton Hill

More about Howard Johnson By The Falls

Kids win the day

by TripAdvisor Member martymouse

Our family stayed here in the middle of August (2 adults, 3 kids (9,8,6)). I was underwhelmed by the hotel, but the kids thought it was great. They loved the pool and the slide. They could swim from inside to outside (not two pools as advertised). The advertised slide is more like a 'little tikes' slide on steroids, but the children played on it constantly. Definitely not for adults though.

The room fitted us all in (with a foldaway at no extra) but we found it overlooked a nightclub. This confused us by being noisy on thursday but silent on firday night. The room was OK clean but not bright. That is the overwhelming impression I have. It could do with a good brighten up.

We had a problem with the hair-dryer (it stopped) but the maintenance replacement was impressively quick. In fact service was always good. I had to call for more pool towels and a trolley full arrived in a few minutes.

The room rate (in common with all Niagara hotels) was about 40% higher on the friday night when the fireworks happened.

Car parking is inexpensive by surrounding values but I do not agree with hotel guests paying to park at their own hotel whatever the price It can be difficult to get a space during the evening time.

The walk to the falls was easy enough, as long as you are ready for Clifton Hill (note the hill bit isn't just for effect) and it's brashness. The walk from the other direction is a bit dull once past the casino and also has a steep hill. There are plenty of eating places around.

Overall I would say the HoJo was reasonable value (for Niagara). I've marked it up because the kids liked it so much which made my life easy, so bonus marks for that. If I was travelling just with my wife I would probably not choose to go back there.

Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member Briansc

Visited in late July. Hotel was what I expected for the prices. Not elaborate, but a good place to sleep. Was right in the middle of the entertainment district. We had a room facing the street which was great for nights when there were fireworks over the falls if you did not want to fight the crowds. Be careful where you eat. Prices at local restaurants can blow you away. TGI Fridays across the street cost nearly $70US for three people eating chicken fingers. Get away from the entertainment district to eat cheaper. Everything (Falls, Clifton Hill, etc.) is within walking distance. Parking was not bad at the hotel, but be warned, you must pay to park, and you are not guaranteed a space. There were usually spaces available though. I only found out about parking charges by checking reviews. No mention on the hotel website. Overall, we were pleased with the hotel and the convenient location. Would definitely recommend for people wanting a good place to sleep at a good value, close to all the attractions.

Enjoyed HoJo's!!

My husband and I stayed at HoJo's on 9/16-9/18. We enjoyed our stay and would go back next year. With the package deal of a two night stay, that is the way to go. I've read many comments about the high price of breakfast at Denny's but with the coupon we only paid, $8.00-$9.00 for our meals but if we didn't have the coupon we definitely would not be eating there. The rooms were clean and it didn't matter too much about the tv channels as we didn't go to there to sit and watch tv. We did find a good Italian restaurant and quite reasonable on Victoria Avenue called Paesano's.

CLOSE TO THE U.S. FALLS and CANADIAN FALLS & CASINOS

We stayed on Nov.26/27 2004, and should say that this lovely and impressive hotel very much shocked us!!! Very clean, pleasant staff and the Room was very tosty when we got there.
The Lobby was decorated with a Christmas Tree and the music was a good touch.

To the General Manager and the management of the Hotel we are so impressed of your hotel and we will for sure come back.

Thanks
The Miller's Family.

A Nice Suprise

by TripAdvisor Member zerokarma

I had a voucher for a free hotel room so I decided to cash it in for a night at the howard johnson in niagara falls. The inital room we received was not what we wanted (had two double beds and we wanted a king) so after talking to the guy in the lobby we decided instead of simply switching to a room with a king size room that instead we could upgrade to their "presidental" suite for only $50(cdn) so we thought what the heck why not.

The new room we received was really cool, it had the jacuzzi, a king size bed with mirror above it and was a very big spacious room. We were quite suprised the quality of the room and the hotel was very good. Well worth the $50 upgrade.

The pool downstairs is kind of small and nothing special, the water slide looked really crappy. However the hot tub there was really nice, it was nice and big and hot. The sauna was also fairly decent there too.

Basically for us it was just a quick one night getaway and we had some fun . It was a bit of a ghost town in Niagara Falls that night because a big snow storm was coming down but it didn't bother us, we had a great time.

A pleasant experience

My husband and I spent President's Day weekend at Niagara Falls, and we stayed at the Howard Johnson. We usually stay in a "classier" hotel with a view of the falls, so we weren't sure what to expect when we decided on the HoJo this time. We were pleasantly surprised. We had a painlessly easy check in, which is not always the case when we go to Niagara Falls. We had decided to stay in a Jacuzzi Suite for Sat. and Sun. night, but had opted for a cheaper room on Friday night since we wouldn't be arriving until late in the evening. We were upgraded to our Jacuzzi Suite for free because it was available and they didn't want us to have to move the next afternoon! We were very pleased by that.

We also got the package which included meals that other people have mentioned. I felt this was an excellent deal! Granted the Denny's is an expensive place to have breakfast, but the portions were HUGE, and my husband and I didn't have to eat again until evening, so it was like getting two meals for a small amount after the $30 discount. People need to remember that the package was designed to be for couples, so it definitely doesn't cover a family; it wasn't meant to! Also, you could select meals so that you only had to pay for the tax, but we chose to spend a little more and not have to eat lunch. To give you an idea of what you can expect to pay, we paid $13.69 US one day and $9.08 US the other day for a breakfast that included eggs, 3 pancakes, hash browns, bacon and sausage plus drinks. When you figure that the package rate for 2 days is only around $30 more than the non-package price, this really is a pretty good deal!

Overall, we were impressed by this hotel. We would definitely consider staying here again, and we would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a reasonably priced room.

A Great Value at a Reasonable Price

by TripAdvisor Member Guinness5

My party of 3 (one adult and 2 teenagers) stayed at this location on 2-25-05, a Friday night. I found it to be centrally located with everything we wanted close at hand, walking distance to all the sights of interest. The staff was helpful, knowledgeable, hard working and graceful when under pressure. Our room was clean and relatively spacious. I had one surprise though-my fantasy has always been to have a heart shaped bathtub in Niagara Falls although I couldn't bring myself to ask for one. Waiting for us was a fire engine red tub enclosure in our bathroom. What a delight when the rest of the decor was in neutral tones. The hotel was obviously favored by families with children, as evidenced by running feet and happy little voices in the hallways and the traffic to and from the pool area. A good stay for us with no complaints. I would stay here again.

Very nice hotel

My family recently visited Niagara falls and we stayed at the Howard Johnson Plaza by the Falls. We liked it very much. It is not fancy, but very clean and nice. The staff was very helpful and friendly. It is only a short walk to the falls and the activities on Clifton Hill. We actually just left our car at the hotel and walked everywhere. The pool is a bit small, but it has a slide and our 8 year old daughter loved it. We went during the winter season and the rooms were much cheaper than during the summer months. This was a great family hotel and we will definetly return.

Comments