5195 Magdalen Street, Niagara Falls, L2G 3S6, Canada

Travelocity Expedia.com Orbitz.com

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo

Excellent boutique hotel

I was looking for a place to stay in Niagara, naturally you look for a place that will have a nice view of the Falls first. Well a bit of shopping around revealed that this hotel was #1 on Tripadvisor and on sale at the time!! What a pleasant surprise, this hotel was comfortable, classy without being snooty, and an absolute pleasure to stay at

At the time the hotel was brand new. Minimalist decor, nice big comfortable king sized bed (a bit on the hard side), large plasma TV, sitting area. They made nice use of the space, the room did not feel small or cramped by any means. The bed was one of the most comfortable hotel beds I have ever slept in, I slept like a king!!

It advertises itself as the only boutique hotel in Niagara Falls. The service at the hotel from the moment you arrived to the moment you left was exceptional! I didn't try the restaurant but i heard around town that the food was very very good. The hotel common areas were clean, well lit and all the small touches had been taken care of. It was a pleasure to stay there and I would more than happily recommend it to others.

Unique Quality: When i stayed there (2008) it was brand new!

Located about a block off the main drag it was an easy walk to the Falls and still far enough away from the commotion of Clifton Hill that you could get some peace and quiet.

Andre was the Chief Concierge and he gladly told you where to go and what to do.

More about Sterling Inn & Spa

Spectacular Experience!!!

by TripAdvisor Member ONVacationer

We just returned from our stay at the Sterling Inn and Spa in Niagara Falls, ON. The hotel is rated as a 4-star and exceeded even my highest expectations. My wife and I have stayed at many area hotels in Niagara Falls and have found that the rooms are very expensive for the amenities that you receive however, the Sterling Inn and Spa was the best hotel that I have stayed at in that area and for the amount of money that we paid... it was a steal!
The rooms are oversized, the bathrooms are oversized. Our room had a steam shower with multiple wall shower jets and an oversized rain shower showerhead (Bath and Body Works toiletries). To say that the room was clean would be an understatement. The staff was wonderful to deal with. They have a full service spa, an opulent restaurant.and free parking.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to relax and bask in the awe of the moment. This was my best experience in a Niagara hotel ever!

The Romantic Getaway

by TripAdvisor Member CanadianTraveler081

At first glance, the exterior of the hotel was mediocre at best, but once you step inside the hotel you realize that it is hidden gem. The room was not like any hotel that we have ever stayed. It had a two person jacuzzi and large stand up shower. The staff was friendly and always accomodated to our needs. Definitely a place for a romantic getaway.

Great place!

by TripAdvisor Member Charlotte7272

My friend and I booked the hotel over hotwire.com and got a really good rate. The room was gorgeous and the staff were so friendly and helpful. It was our first time in Niagara but we couldn't have asked for a better location. The complimentary breakfast was lovely and we loved the shower with jets! I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Sterling Spa and Inn

by TripAdvisor Member mfgirl

We stayed at Sterling Inn and Spa and from the outside, it was eh. We went inside our room and it was soooo nice! the jacuzzi was right beside the bed, very convenient, perfect for romantic getaways! I also like the breakfast delivered to your room because you get to choose the time and don't have to go out to eat. The people were very friendly and accommodating. And the hotel's place is very convenient. You can walk to the Falls, Clifton Hill and if you want to go to the mall, you just have to drive for a bit. It's close enough to the touristy spots but not too close that it's busy cause it's not located on the main street. So i would definitely recommend this place to couples who want to get away for a little bit. i had a wonderful experience, i can't complain!

Very Nice

by TripAdvisor Member lantan101

Very Nice! My Husband Loved the shower! The room was Very Spacious!. Loved-Loved The Decor! Breakfast in bed was good too. Nice fireplace and flatscreen tv. Roomy hot tub. We had The Couples Swedish Massage. It was Great Too. The Staff was Friendly & Helpful. Location is close to Clifton Hill & both of the falls, so paying to park elsewhere was not really necessary. Several good restaurants are also within walking distance. We would highly reccommend THE STERLING INN to anyone! Especially for an adult get-away!

Bang for your Buck!

by TripAdvisor Member RansRider

We stayed at this Inn while touring the Niagara area with friends. The Inn was fabulous. Our 2-room suite had a king bed, wood floors, fireplace, air tub, jetted shower and 2 TVs all for the price of $150 per night--fabulous for the Niagara area. The property was new when we visited in May 2008. The only negative I would have is the location of the Inn--dumpy surroundings but this is Niagara. The staff were great and very knowledgeable about the area. I would stay here again if in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada.

Nice hotel but no service

by TripAdvisor Member BobLBrantford

This hotel needs to send their front desk staff to a course on customer relations. Let me explain. On arriving we were given the room which we were booked for. Very nice room everything we needed. All of a sudden there were ants in our bathroom and on our bed. Went down to to front desk and informed the girl. She said she would send someone to spray room, Asked to be moved another room, was told no other rooms available. So asked to upgrade us. Sorry can't do that. Went back to room very upset. Finally, gentleman came with spray, took one look and said you can't stay in this room, will talk to front desk. Few minutes later front desk called, said they were moving us into upgraded room. That was fine. Room not as nice as first one but was 10:30 pm. Next morning got up and went to front desk to explain our ordeal the night before to morning girl on desk. She was quite nice. having explain to her that we wanted a jacuzzi and the second room did not have one. She said let me see what I have available. Couple of minutes later she called our room and asked if we would like a 2 room suite with jacuzzi. After looking at the room, that was ok. SHOULD TRY HARDER.

Fabulous hotel for a birthday night

by TripAdvisor Member MellieLou71

Only stayed one night, and wish we could have stayed longer. It was our overnight stop on my husband's birthday, we were late arriving but the desk staff were excellent, and gave good directions over the phone when we couldn't locate the hotel.

The welcome was warm, the room excellent. A bit dark as little natural daylight, but the comfort more than made up for it. Loved the hot tub and the shower, and the fireplace. Breakfast in bed a nice touch.

The champagne and chocolate dipped strawberries I'd ordered were divine. Restaurant is excellent, and Ted the waiter knowledgeable and helpful. Superb food.

As I said, wish we were staying longer, would definitely recommend as an alternative to the hotel chains all over the rest of Niagara Falls.

Spa-poor customer service

by TripAdvisor Member hollyColumbusOhio

The room was very clean and almost everyone was friendly.

One night after dinner, we came back to the room late and wanted coffee and dessert. The girl at the front desk arranged for room service quickly. We were impressed with her level of service. Unfortunately I did not get her name.
Everyone at the desk seemed very nice.

My problem was with the spa. One rainy day I called the spa to see if I could squeeze in a quick pedi. The person in the spa told me she would call me back, she did not. I mentioned it at the front desk and they got me in the next day. Unfortunately that did not work with the plans that we had. I was very disappointed that I did not hear from the spa manager.
If you are going to this hotel for the spa, I do not recommend the level of service that you will receive.
Unfortunate for a hotel marketed as an Inn and Spa!

Beautiful Inn, Great Location, Great Service

by TripAdvisor Member WashDCMan

What a great place!

The rooms are gorgeous and huge. You enter a long foyer with dark-wood modern chests of drawers and a marble shelf. At right is the bathroom, which is large, with marble floors and a glass shower with a built-in steamer.

There's a step-up as you enter the area where the king-sized bed is. Hardwood floors throughout, a gas fireplace, a small minibar-type sink with a fridge beneath, gorgeous linens. Restrained and tastefully modern dark-wood furniture and some scarlet trim on some walls. Exposed beams overhead, from the days when the place was a milk factory. Whoever did the conversion really got it right.

Your stay includes a free breakfast each morning--brought to your room! It's not huge by any stretch, but it includes coffee, juice, a bit of ham or granola and muffins. There's also a coffee maker in the room.

The staff was great as well--very friendly and happy to give directions.

The location was perfect: somehow very close (2 blocks) to the Vegas-like strip with various neon-adorned amusement musems--but yet just far enough to be perfectly quiet at night. The area seems to be very safe; it's quiet at night, but there's no one on the street save the occasional tourism employee or tourist.

The guests seemed exclusively to be couples; we saw nary a kid the whole time--which made the place very tranquil and civilized.

Parking was free and plentiful.

We booked directly with the hotel and got a 10% AAA discount, which made it cost $6 more than the dismal Old Stone Inn half a mile west, in the so-so section of Niagara. The regular rate I believe was $145, so we paid $130 per night. Much less than the nasty-looking chain hotels marginally closer to the Falls and packed with loud, ill-mannered families.

My only suggestion for the management would be to upgrade the exercise room: It needs a water fountain and a free-standing bench. However, it's adequate for most, with a treadmill, elliptical trainer, dumbbells, and universal-gym machine. There is no pool, but guests have permission to use the one at the Days Inn down the street.

We only saw the spa from the outside, but it looked very fancy. Same for the restaurant.

If you don't need a view of the Falls from your room and prefer a quiet location to a raucous one, then the Sterling Inn will be perfect for you.

Boarding the Maid of the MistBoarding the Maid of the Mist

Niagara Falls AviaryNiagara Falls Aviary

A sight from thereA sight from there

Horseshoe close-upHorseshoe close-up

Some Niagara Falls Advice

by Vilmad

We live in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, and will be visiting Niagara Falls, Ontario, after a gap of almost 15 years. I can't remember much except for the Maid of the Mist. Therefore, would like some advice from this forum:

1) Which is the best winery to tour on the Niagara Parkway;
2) Is the Journey behind the Falls, White Water Walk and the Butterfly Conservatory worth visiting? They are all included in the Niagara Falls and Great Gorge Pass along with Maid of the Mist and we were thinking of buying this pass;
3) What are the must see Clifton Hill attractions;
4) Is it worth going on the Niagara Skywheel;
5) Is the 3D/4D movie "Legends of the Niagara" worth seeing? and how about the Skylon Tower? Is it worth going up for the view?
6) We had been to the IMAX during our earlier visit so will be seeing it again as we know it was really worth it.
7) We will be staying at the Days Inn by the Falls, Centre Street. Is that a good hotel?
8) Are pedestrians still allowed to walk across the Rainbow Bridge? What are the attractions on the New York side? (of course we will be carrying our passports)

I would also appreciate if any members of this Forum would suggest some other attractions that I don't know about.

Thank you so much for your time and look forward to your input.

Vilma

by OiKnow

I thought that the journey behind the falls was wonderful.

Enjoy!

David

by JennysTravels

I live here! And welcome back!

1) The best winery tour? Hmm... most hotels do a package tour which you get to see 2-3 wineries. Or you can try my top three. 1. Jackson Triggs 2. Maryneissen(smaller winery) 3. Cave Springs (in Jordan Station)

2) I believe that all three are worth visiting. The butterfly conservatory is awesome.

3) There are many must see's on Clifton Hill. The SkyWheel is pretty cool and costs $10CAD.

5) The 3D/4D movie theatre is a moving theatre and is worth checking out, it is at the top of Clifton Hill.

6) IMAX - I havent been there in over 20yrs. Depends on whats playing and if that suits your intrest.

7) I am not familiar with The Days Inn. But Im sure it is a decent hotel.

8) Yes - you can still walk across the Rainbow Bridge.

Good luck and have fun!

by davesut

3. Clifton Hill - you have to see for yourself really - some look good, some dreadful

4. We enjoyed the skywheel good views and not too busy either

8. 2 dollars I think to cross by foot

We went to the Magical birds kingdom - we thought this was good too.

by Vilmad

Thanks for all the helpful advice. We've decided we are doing the works this time in Niagara Falls. We have bought the Niagara Parks Gorge Pass covering the Maid of the Mist, Journey Behind the Falls, White Water Walk and Butterfly Conservatory along with the People Mover Passes. As well will be visiting Inniskillin Winery, going to Niagara on the Lake, the Skywheel, Skylon Tower, Imax, Marine Land, everything. Everything, except visiting the Casino, because 20 out of 20 times we've lost in casinos.

I can't wait to get back to Niagara Falls. I only have fun memories from my last visit.

Once again, thanks.

Vilma

by airkarat

Hi, you asked about attractions on the American side. We recently spent a day in Niagara Falls, NY and visited the Aquarium http://www.aquariumofniagara.org/ and we went to Goat Island for a picnic.

On the Canadian side, something the guys at my husband's work have been talking about is that new Whirlpool Jetboat ride - if I recall correctly, that attraction is based in Queenston or Niagara-on-the-Lake.

It sounds like you'll have plenty to do just in NF but if you can get to Niagara-on-the-Lake or Queenston Heights you can tour Fort George or dine at the fancy Prince of Wales Hotel, Oban Inn or Queens Landing. There are two wineries right there.

Comments