48 John St, P.O. Box 1011, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, L0S 1J0, Canada

Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

Costs 64% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• JennysTravels's Profile Photo

A Hidden Gem

I worked here in the summer of 2003 at the lounge and pool bar. It is NOT in NIagara Falls. It is a 20 minute drive from Niagara Falls, in a beautiful town called Niagara On The Lake, known by locals as NOTL. As a kid my grandfather used to take me there, for snacks. I loved it then, I love it now. It was built in the 1890's as a cannery. You can still see its orginal purpose in its brick walls and delicate art thoughout. It's Ontario's only 5-star country Inn. Fresh flowers grace the beds upon arrival. You are greeted by a doorman perfectly dressed, the main reception is small and comfortable. You almost feel like you are in someones house. The front desk is to the right, the left is Cannery and Carriages dining room and lounge. The chef uses local produce to tease your tastbuds. A more relaxed area sits beneath the dinning room. Vintages Bar and Lounge. I worked in the lounge. Old heavy wooden tables, a fireplace, wine bottles broken into the walls, a large wooden bar, cognac, champagne, and just down the hall is The Pillar and Post 100 Fountain Spa. There are 12 different treatment rooms, a heated salt water indoor pool, reflexology, facials, manicures, and massage. From about $380CND per person a day, you can enjoy the relaxation offered here. Even if you are passing by, stop in for a drink. You won't be dissappointed!

Unique Quality: All of the above.

More about The Pillar and Post Inn, Spa and Conference Centre

different but its a taste thing

by TripAdvisor Member maggie

My family stayed here last year and it certainly was not dark and dowdy.Every member of hotel staff was really helpful and in fact very willing to follow one around asking if everything was ok a little too much! Its a bit cutsey for me like the town its in but certainly very good quality.Rooms are cosy and food is a bit over the top with sauces etc.but I feel they do their best in the style they represent. Even though its not my taste everyone was very helpful.They had a weird thing about older kids in the pool. But I guess not all kids are hotel trained like mine are. Its a grown up place and if anyone puts themselves in an unclean shower...it cannot be fixed afterward. Please complain when its effective its the only time to get a real answer to your issues.

Great Staff

I enjoyed the respect and courtesty of the staff at the Pillar most of all. The frontline staff were amazing and so personable. It starts before you even enter thru the doors of the hotel and continues all the way through! Wonderful people and charming hotel!!

Nice spa but...

Just back from a weekend trip to NOTL. It was my husband's 40th birthday and I planned a 3-day weekend for ourselves and some friends. I chose the Pillar and Post because I heard it had a new spa and my husband really wanted to relax. I have to say that the spa is the only thing that impressed us about the Pillar and Post. It's wonderful. The hotel iitself is tired and the rooms even more so. The place needs a complete makeover. Also, I originally booked the Premium King room as it boasted a "fireplace" and "jetted tub." The tub was just an old 5 foot tub with jets in a tiny bathroom.It was not the large whirlpool tub that I expected. Especially for $400++ per night! I think the room descriptions are misleading.

The whole group thought that a continental breakfast whould have been included but it wasn't. For the price of the room they should offer the basics: coffee/tea, baked goods, fruit, yogurt, juice.

Finally, the staff needs a few pointers on service. I don't know how many times during the planning of this weekend (I spoke to the conceigere twice and the people at the spa), I said that I was planning a surprise 40th for my husband and that serveral people would be staying at the hotel. No one ever asked me if there was anything they could help me with, or anything special I needed to make the weekend a success. Once we arrived, the people at the front desk were slow and unapologetic, and the service in general was not as professional as I would have liked.

I have stayed at the Harbour House 2 times before this trip and although the rooms there are not inexpensive, you certainly get what you pay for. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for the Pillar and Post.

Low value for NOTL

I stayed there as part of a business conference for 3 days. We received the "conference rate" of $280. The room was reasonable size and clean, but not spectacular, with limited view from a small window. The room doors do not have a security chain or extra lock, and I was a bit concerned about access by staff and others.
This hotel is a fair distance from the main town centre and farther from the lakeshore.
I found their sisters hotels in town (Queen's Landing, Prince of Wales) to be better in terms of location and quality of accomodations.
The service was average, I had to wait fairly long to get checked in and out. I did not use the Spa, but I heard it is very nice. For a simple stay in NOTL for a weekend, I would not recommend this place simply because it offers relatively low value.

Overrated! Not Worth the Money!

by TripAdvisor Member 4Blitz

My husband and I spend 2 nights at the Pillar and Post from Aug. 11-13, 2006. It was our anniversary and we had never been to NOTL, so we decided to go this year. We wanted to stay somewhere "exceptional" and were told by many (including the print ads for the place) that the Pillar and Post was the best in NOTL. Well, it wasn't completely awful, but for the $355/night we spent, I was certainly expecting to be wowed. Wowed I was not. The spa was fantastic, one of the best I've been to and I have been to many spas in Canada, US, Mexico, Cuba, Italy. But nothing else stood out at this hotel. For example, I ordered tea from room service and it came on a plastic tray, in a plastic white thermos, 2 cups, 2 tea bags and some milk and sugar packets. Just like it did when I ordered it from the Courtyard by Marriott in NY State 2 weeks prior to this visit. (Paid $99/US night for that hotel by the way) In comparison, when I ordered tea from room service from the Ritz Carlton in Cancun in March, it came on a trolley covered by a white table cloth, with real china and real silverware and an orchid in a vase with a few cookies on a plate. And guess what?!?!? We had only paid $250/US night for the Ritz!!!!!! And this is the service we received. That is what I expected to get at the Pillar and Post for the money and the quality of the hotel. Or what they SAY is the quality of the hotel!!! Something comparable to the Ritz or any other fine quality hotel chain.

Another example of poor quality is on the Sunday I woke up and wanted to sit in the hot tub while my husband worked out in the fitness room. The hot tub was not even hot. It was tepid at best. I didn't last in there very long, but thought it was a nice touch that they had a coffee and tea bar set up on the pool deck. I made myself a cup of tea and opened a cream to put it in my tea and it was lumpy and thick!! I opened 2 more and found them to be the same. I brought them up to the spa front desk and informed the girl of the hot tub temperature and the spoiled cream. She said she would check into it right away. So there went my relaxing last morning at the Pillar and Post.

At check-out the front desk clerk did offer my husband and I free Sunday brunch to make up for the unpleasant cream and hot tub experience. I thought that this was a nice, but by then the damage was done. I had my impression of the hotel already, unfortunately .....and it wasn't good.

There was some very nice B & B's all over town that we will look into for our return trip to NOTL. We will definitely skip the Pillar and Post next time. Not worth the money at all.

Take your sweetie, they'll love it!

Our 4th stay at The Pillar and Post occured in November 2005, just before the remodel of the spa area.

The spa area was absolutely fabulous before the remodel and I can't wait to go back to check out the new area! We love the indoor/outdoor whirlpool which has a beautiful cascading waterfall and grotto. The spa treatments are incredible and the indoor pool is spectacular.

The rooms are nicely appointed in a country manor house style. We've always booked rooms with fireplaces that make the rooms nice and cozy. They are not pretentious or full of silk and cherry (go to the Queens Landing for that feel). Simple chintz and floral patterns and a country feel abounds. Fluffy down duvets are on the beds. It is a hotel where you can walk around in your spa robe and flip flops and not feel strange.

The dining is great. The breakfast buffet is delectable, the wine bar is fun for a light dinner or snack after shopping or the spa. The beef restaurant is very good. We usually have dinner at Queen's Landing. It is a bit more upscale and gourmet. Try the Shaw Cafe on the main street for a pot of tea and a snack. Yummy!

We've always had the best luck with package pricing right throught the hotel. It saves to get the spa and dining package right with your room. The spa package save something like $10 a couple, but the dining package is more like $50, depening on what you order to eat.

It is a perfect romantic getaway. We brought our one year old with us 4 years ago and while the staff was very accomodating, we didn't enjoy ourselves as much. Have a relaxing time!

Over-rated. Spa good, rooms just ok.

by TripAdvisor Member p1

I was recently there for business. We have stayed at numerous hotels in various countries from a 3 star hotel and up. These are my brief thoughts:

Quality of Service
In terms of the quality of service, and the promptness of the staff it was satisfactory, and not exceptional. They did what needed to be done, but didn't go out of their way to WOW you. It's okay for business meetings, but it's not some place that I would go to for a romantic get away, where I expect to be pampered. Quite frankly, I don't think that you will get it at the Pillar and Post. I never felt like I got personalized service. Come to think of it, during my stay, not once did I recall someone addressing me by my name. It's quite unusual for a hotel of this supposed calibre.

I spoke with some of my colleagues wand they were the ones who commented that this would not be a "destination of choice." Like myself, they probably wouldn't come to the Pillar and Post unless they had to.

The Rooms
Our room was ok, but again, nothing exceptional. I have stayed at the Marriott, where it costs less, and received a better room. At the Marriott where we stayed ($140/night) I had nice flat screen LCD TV to watch. I'm not there to watch TV, but I wouldn't mind something better to watch the evening news on. The TV was an older model CRT. It's not a big complaint.

It surprised me that the Pillar and Post did not offer "complimentary" high speed wireless internet. If anything they should have added the cost of the internet to the room charge and offered "complimentary" high speed. Perhaps the hotel should look at this issue, since it creates a perception that the hotel is trying to nickel and dime you. I've stayed at less costly hotels where there was "free" wireless internet.

We stayed in one of the rooms on the lower floors. I couldn't sleep at night. I am a light sleeper, and I could hear people walking upstairs, or the toilets being flushed in the adjacent rooms. I personally would give up all this "country charm" so that I don't hear my neighbours. I understand it's an older building and is not as soundproof as other hotels.

Food
I had breakfast a couple of mornings at the hotel. I did not have lunch or dinner there as we were in meetings throughout the day. Breakfast is okay, but again, not great. It's like going to one of those all inclusive resorts. The menu stays the same every morning. The quality of the food was just ok.

Fantastic Getaway for a Couple!

by TripAdvisor Member lovlos

Fantastic Getaway for a Couple!

My husband and I stayed at the Pillar and Post Inn in Niagara on the Lake, Ontario last December (2005) immediately following Christmas in hopes of starting a tradition for the two of us. We returned this December from the 27th till 30th (2006) for three nights of R&R and were more impressed than ever!!

This is a fantastic property for couples looking to get away from the every day hustle and bustle. Although this resort is not considered an adults only establishment, we found that sanctuary from the many families who occupied the upstairs pool, could be found in the luxurious Spa (100 Fountain Spa) just a short walk down the stairs. The hotel has a very common sense policy of not allowing children under the age of 16 in the spa area. We found the Spa area to be quiet, accommodating and just plain “heavenly”. The new renovations to the spa area this past year made our 2nd visit seem like a first. I think our favourite part of the entire stay was finding a spot on one of the comfy couches in the Spa Lounge and reading away the afternoon with a glass of wine and the fireplace behind us. The Spa Lounge also has a wide assortment of fruits, teas and fruit water complimentary for those enjoying the space. In addition clean, comfortable white robes and slippers are available for use by guests during their stay.

Directly beside the lounge area is the outdoor Hot Spring…it has an entrance via the spa down a set of steps and into a beautiful little garden area holding the spring and a cascading waterfall. So relaxing after a treatment such as pedicure or massage!

The main floor pool area continues to be a nice diversion from the day as well. It is a salt water, shimmering blue pool with attached hot tub, dry sauna and steam room. The pool does not have a deep end, ideal for families with young children and there is a decent amount of chairs surrounding the pool. As well, there are men’s and ladies’ change rooms with lockers in the same area and a work out room for those who are keeping their new year’s resolutions. This is not a “Wolf Lodge” or Niagara Hilton type of property…they are the more “kid friendly” hotels in the Niagara area. Just remember that regarding recreation, the children are only allowed in the main pool area, excluding the hot tub and not the downstairs area, hot spring, or Spa Lounge. That may be restrictive for some single parent vacations as those travelling alone with the kids wouldn’t have much opportunity to see the downstairs area.

We enjoyed every second of the stay and are already talking about a return visit for our anniversary in April and another in December 2007 to carry on the tradition.

We stayed in Room 258 (see pictures for details) located on the second floor directly above the pool area in the spa section. It is an ideal location for us because we spend the majority of our visit in that area. It allows you to pop up to your room on occasion in a matter of minutes and with the rooms being larger it seems like more of a treat in that area. Room 258 is a “deluxe room” which includes a gas fireplace, sitting area, bar fridge, decent size television and two double beds. There are king size beds located in other rooms on that floor but we didn’t have a problem with the two….they push together easily In the mornings you receive a complimentary newspaper at your door and in the evenings the Pillar has the added touch of turn down service in the room, including a rose left on the pillow and a weather forecast card outlining the days ahead. In addition the washroom has lovely ceramic tile, good size tub, and amenities such as shampoo, conditioner, soap bars, hair blower and make up mirror (see pictures for details).

On the property you will also find a well appointed pub style lounge with full lunch and dinner menu. There is also a full service restaurant directly across from the check in desk and from what I understand there is also a reception type hall on the top floor above the restaurant. We ate at the pub lounge one evening and both the speed of service and quality of food was much improved from the year before. They appeared to have more staff than had been on duty last year at the same time and the quantity of food was great as well. I believe that on weekends they have entertainment in the lounge but we weren’t around to check it out.

The staff at the front desk, the pool area, the spa and throughout the entire Inn was exceptional. They really do go above and beyond to make the guest happy. My husband had a “Man’s Pedicure”, his first ever, and said it was a great treat and I had a massage with “Terry” which was relaxing as well. Please be forewarned that if you want a treatment in the Spa and know the dates of your stay in advance, book as far ahead as possible. I did so approximately 3 weeks prior and was glad I did because when I got there and wanted to book an additional massage during the stay, they were completely booked up. Perhaps it was just the time of the year but likely best to cover your bases none the less. In the treatment room you will find newly purchased massage chairs for use during pedicures and other treatments. In my opinion they are a treat in themselves and everyone should have the chance to try them out!

In conclusion the Pillar and Post is ideal for couples who want to get away for an anniversary, honeymoon, or simply a break from the day to day but it is also ok for families wanting to visit the Niagara Region. There is a hotel shuttle to take you into the heart of Niagara on the Lake free of charge or it is a leisurely 10 minute walk down the road. Yet another added touch from the property. Have a great time! Best stay in Niagara on the Lake by far!

If you have any questions regarding the Pillar, don’t hesitate to email us. I’ve attached pictures of the property. It was certainly a 10 out of 10 visit for us!

Great Service, Boring Town

by TripAdvisor Member Suzy7

Ask for Derek as your server in the restaurant. Food quality was very good. Town was very quiet at this time of year. Recommend massage rather other services in spa. Room was clean, but bed had small mattress sitting on top of larger box and was too soft.

Comments