Duncan-Quinn House

530 Butler Street, P.O. Box 1087, Niagara-on-the-Lake, L0S 1J0, Canada

More about Niagara-on-the-Lake

Huge metal vatsHuge metal vats

Stars and Stripes and the Maple LeafStars and Stripes and the Maple Leaf

Strewn's cooking schoolStrewn's cooking school

Wine Tasting - Donald J.P. Ziraldo to rightWine Tasting - Donald J.P. Ziraldo to right

Travel Tips for Niagara-on-the-Lake

Shaw Festival

by TimDaoust

Niagara on the Lake is home to an annual theater festival called the Shaw Festival. It was begun in 1962 by a Niagara lawyer and playwright. We missed it when we came but I learned a little about it. It is dubbed the Shaw festival because they celebrate specifically the works of Bernard Shaw and his contemporaries. Mainly they are plays about the beginning of the modern world. The season begins in April and runs until around November. If you're in the area and you like theater I'm sure this would be great. For more history of the festival, and more info in general go here

Cave Spring Cellars

by flyfreak

Wines produced at Cave Spring Cellars are selected primarily from the benchlands of the Niagara Escarpment. Great attention is paid during wine making to allow the terroir of this special growing area to be expressed. Mineral rich soils, gentle elevation and moderating breezes from Lake Ontario create a unique growing area. The Cave Spring Vineyard, source of their Estate Bottled wines, is located on one of the finest escarpment slopes, the Beamsville Bench.

Niagara on the Lake

by travelgirl3

"A Pleasant Surprise"

Although it’s only about 1-1/2 hours from home, this was my first visit to Niagara-on-the-Lake. From everything I had read and heard, I understood it to be upper-class and stuffy, full of Bed & Breakfasts, Wineries, high-end shopping, and the Theatre. Well, it is all that. But I was pleasantly surprised at how homey and quaint it was too.

We only visited for part of one day, on the occasion of my Mom’s 80th birthday celebration. On our arrival, we parked the car and started walking around the shops. Within 10 minutes, I had visited the candy shop and the bakery, and was hooked! The kids had fun poking around in ‘The Viking Shop’ and Mom enjoyed the trinkets in the Christmas store. We found a cheap and cheerful family restaurant for lunch called the Stagecoach, where we gave Mom her gift of a photo collage of pictures from her past. After lunch, we walked through the park, did a little more window shopping, then carried on to Niagara Falls.

The weather was perfect, and I think my Mom really enjoyed her day. I will definitely be returning to Niagara-on-the-Lake soon. I hear it’s very pretty at Christmastime.

Comments