92 Picton Street, PO Box 642, Niagara-on-the-Lake, L0S 1J0, Canada
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

More about Shaw Club Hotel & Spa

Loved The Shaw Club - great experience

by TripAdvisor Member CAHB

Needed a mini-holiday and thought Niagara-on-the-Lake would be perfect. We decided to try out the newly renovated Shaw Club. Well we certainly weren’t disappointed! We had a wonderful time – just what the doctor ordered and we would definitely go back.

The staff was friendly, courteous and helpful. It truly was an experience discovering everything our room had to offer. The attention to detail was overwhelming from the welcome note and little goodies to the personalized stationary. The room was very well appointed with the most modern of amenities from and ipod alarm clock to the flat screen TV but what really made me understand that it was all about making the guests feel at home was when I noticed a modern board game discreetly placed on the coffee table. The bed was extremely comfortable and the rain shower was a treat, not to mention the flat screen TV in the bathroom.

We had dinner at the Charles Inn which truly was a culinary experience and we highly recommend it. The next day we enjoyed the copious continental breakfast at the Shaw Club and decided to come back to the hotel for lunch. The menu was seasonal with great variety to please the various desires of the four of us. Our meal was delicious and again, as with the room, our lunch was a unique experience as each dish was served in an innovative and fun way.

We have travelled all over the world and what struck us the most was the amount of thought and consideration that had been put into what would make a guest's stay memorable - to make it that much more special, a real treat.

Kudos to The Shaw Club for taking service and care to the next level. We look forward to our next visit.

Modern Amenities in an Old World Town

by TripAdvisor Member PittGrrl04

We stayed at the Shaw Club Hotel for one night during the 2007 Niagara-on-the-Lake Icewine Festival. This was our second trip to NOTL, and we had previously stayed at the Pillar and Post (review is on this site). We wanted to try somewhere newer and closer to town, and based on the favorable reviews, we chose the Shaw Club Hotel.

I booked our room through the hotel's website, and soon after, I was contacted personally via email to see whether I would require anything special, dinner reservations, wine and desserts in the room, or winery tour packages. We requested dinner reservations at Zee's, however they were booked due to a Progressive Dinner that evening (which we ended up doing and were glad we did!). We requested more information on a possible winery tour, and the hotel booked us a tour through Niagara Wine Tours International that was directly billed to our room, no hassle! They picked us up at Shaw Club, and we had the opportunity to visit 4 different wineries in an afternoon while being chauffered around by a very knowledgeable tour guide. Kudos to Shaw Club for providing this service!

Unfortunately, our room was not ready before our tour left (which was before check-in, so we weren't very surprised), so we checked in upon our return. The woman who checked us in was very pleasant and accomodating. She personally showed us around the lobby, Zee's (the restaurant), the guest lounge (with comfy chairs, a fireplace, cappuchino machine, and DVD library), and then walked us to our room where she showed us all the amenities available in the room. We had booked a "Classic King" room. While the room itself was not very spacious, the decor was very modern and beautiful (and as we walked in, there was relaxing music playing on the CD player). In the room, there was a 42-inch plasma tv, comfy king bed with a down comforter, a small refrigerator, robes, extra blankets and pillows, a CD player/iPod docking station, cordless phone, brownies, and personalized stationary. The bathroom had a beautiful shower with a rain-shower head and regular head as well, a small LCD tv imbedded in the mirror, nice shampoo-conditioner-lotion-soap, and even a jar of q-tips and cotton balls. Its like they had thought of all the comforts of home!

We had the opportunity to dine at Zee's for the entree of our Progressive Dinner, and the food (and atmosphere) was excellent. Breakfast was included in our room charge, and I was pleasantly surprised based on the reviews on this site. There was a continental breakfast bar of cereal, bagels, fruit, and bread, but there were also 6 different hot breakfast entrees you could order. Maybe they only do that on Sunday, but it was great. I had the Asparagus and Brie Crepes, and my partner had Creme Brulee French Toast (and they even accomdated his request for an additional order of hash browns).

The hotel is directly across from the Shaw Festival, and a 2-block walk to the main shops on Queen St, so you are very close to the heart of NOTL. We were very happy with the Shaw Club Hotel, and we will certainly stay there again for our next trip to NOTL!

Heavenly Retreat for Getaway

by TripAdvisor Member berbBuffalo

I recently spent a 24 hour escape with girlfriends at The Shaw Club Hotel. Pack your bags girls (and boys) and treat yourself to an unbelievable overnight. The staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms featured every amenity you could dream of and the food was deliciouls. What more could you ask for?

If you are wondering about specifics: beds and linens are top quality and you never want to crawl out, luxurious shower with dual heads, large LCD plasma TV, fireplace, incredible snack basket, so need I go on?! One of my friends got a suite with a built in bar which was perfect for a group gathering to open gifts after dinner. The rooms have an upscale, contemporary design yet are cozy as can be.

Dinner at Zee's was exceptational. We had the choice of continental breakfast at Shaw or a free shuttle to a full breakfast at the Harbor House. We chose the latter and found it delightul. It was difficult to leave our sumptuous rooms but we had a lovely run along the lake and holiday shopping was just steps from the hotel.

My group had one regret and it was that our stay was for just 1 night. We loved our rooms so much we wanted to spend another night to just lounge and relax. When you make your reservation for an escape, tag on an extra day. You will be glad you did. We all definitely cannot wait to return with spouses, alone or as group again next year.

Amazing

by TripAdvisor Member kmtruffe

My wife and I had an amazing time at the Shaw Club and would highly recommend it to anyone. It was luxurious, clean, and the staff were extremely helpful. I can't say enough good things about this place. staying anywhere else would be crazy!!

Perfection

by TripAdvisor Member EddyE

My wife and I just returned from a weekend stay at the Shaw Club.
We usually enjoy staying at B&Bs while in Niagara-on-the-lake but this time decided we wanted a more modern, hotel atmosphere.
I found the Shaw Club website by chance and booked a room based on the reviews here.
Having just returned, I want to say that it surpassed our expectations.
I have to agree with the previous reviewer on all counts.
We loved the personalized details upon enterting the (deluxe king) room as well as the modern amenities such as the rain shower and large screen lcd tv. The free dvd library in the lounge was a nice surprise and we enjoyed watching movies in bed.
While we did not eat dinner at Zees, we found their breakfast (included in the price) exceptional, with a generous continental buffet plus one selection off the breakfast menu.
The staff was friendly, knowledgeable and accomodating.
When we inquired about wineries, we were given passes for a free tour as well as tokens for free wine tasting afterwards (a $40 value).
My work has sent me to some of the top hotels around North America and I can say with confidence that my room at the Shaw Club surpassed most in recent memory.

Really really nice place

by TripAdvisor Member rosscoe7999

We stayed at the Shaw Club for 2 nights and were really thrilled with everything about the hotel. We had a superior king (I think that was what it was called). It had a separate shower and whirlpool bath tub. The shower had both a hand-held AND a rainshower. Really nice. The whirlpool was great but a bit small (too small for 2 and we're not large).

The room was very modern but not impersonal. Very cool furnishings. 2 lush robes. A yoga mat. Fresh cream for morning coffee was in the fridge.

Niagara on the lake is really gorgeous and I wish we would have stayed longer.

I would definitely stay here again.

The only minor thing, and I still find it strange, is that the bar in the hotel closes at 10:00, even on a Friday during the Shaw festival. I can understand closing the kitchen, but we were really disappointed not to be able to have a cocktail in the beautiful lounge.

A gem - great rooms and food

by TripAdvisor Member PenelH

We arrived at Niagara-on-the-Lake with no booking and no commitment to stay overnight. We were enchanted by the town - the flowers, the wonderful gift shops, the unusual local products, the cute inns. The Prince of Wales was booked out, as was the next hotel we tried. The Shaw Club was the next on the main street - what a find.
The hotel has been newly renovated and the rooms are both charming and state-of-the art. Great showers with above-head and wall shower choices, and small inserted TV in the mirror in bathroom, flat screen TVs in bedrooms. The staff were pleasant and engaged, breakfast was included in the room charge (and significantly cheaper than the Prince of Wales rate without breakfast included). The restaurant was so pleasant we ate dinner in house, and it was superb. We would have stayed another night, but no rooms were available for the weekend.

This is one place I will return to, even if it takes a while from Australia.

Great, Romatic Getaway!

by TripAdvisor Member marty1815

We just got back from a wonderful weekend at the Shaw Club. We came upon this hotel by chance and we are so glad we did. It completely exceeded our exceptations! The staff anticipated our every need and they couldn't do enough for us. We loved the small details that made this hotel stand out from the rest. They presented us with a small welcome gift upon arrival, a pet fish and gave us a tour of the hotel, answering every question we had. They had a wide variety of movies that we could borrow from and the guest lounge was exceptional! The lobby was beautiful! We immediately felt at home. We cannot wait to come back and are already planning our next visit. Ask about the complimentary wine tours that they offer, they are wonderful!

Great Hotel, horrible breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member lotusboy

This hotel is GEORGEOUS. We stayed for a week in September with our 5 month old baby and were given a brand new travel cot to use for no extra charge. The rooms are very nice, the plasma tv, dvd player and tv in the bathroom mirror were extremely nice touches as were the handwritten welcome card and personalised stationary. You can even have a goldfish in your room if you ask!!!
On the downsides, the breakfasts were terrible, it may be that we are English and are used to something else but croissant, salmon, fruit and cold quiche is not that appetizing. There was always flies on the bread and most of the time no quiche at all!! It would have been nice if there had been a toaster and perhaps some fried or poached eggs. We had breakfast twice in 7 days.
The second problem was with the restaurant. As we had the baby with us we thought it would be nice to use the baby monitors and eat outside. Unfortunately the monitors would not work in the restaurant and the chef refused to take our orders if we wanted to eat outside and not under cover.
We also had a problem with our toilet blocking 3 or 4 times, but this was always rectified immediately after a phone call to reception.
Overall the hotel was lovely and Niagara on the lake is really beautiful. Make sure you take a trip on the jet boats and go for breakfast in the town!!

Modern oasis, luxurious, wonderful staff

by TripAdvisor Member Breathewisely

Hello! My partner surprised me with a wonderful night's stay at this lovely hotel. It was one of the best hotels I've ever stayed at--newly renovated, the bathroom is a delight! Wonderful rainshower, tub...nice touches like the ipod broadcaster, and the cappuchino maker. The breakfast the next morning was a delicious assortment of wonderful baked goods in a beautiful dining area. Also, I left some items in my room and of course was able to retrieve everything--can't say enough wonderful things about this comfortable, luxurious, beautifully decorated find. Staff are wonderful. Thank you Shaw--we'll be back.

Comments