Rural Route 1 Concession 3, Mono Township, Orangev
Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Hockley Valley Resort

What a Resort

by TripAdvisor Member Dunby

We booked Hockley Valley Resort because we had heard great things about it from friends. We are glad we did. It was everything they said it was and more. Everyone we encountered was friendly, smiling and welcoming.
The rooms were amazing. The beds to die for. We played a round of golf in the morning (the scenery was beautiful, the course was in great shape )and then enjoyed a couples message in the European Spa in the afternoon.
Dinner was as good as any fine restaurant in the city. Food was delicious, presented well and the service was great.
We will definitely be back.

Hike on trails through scenic countryside

by Faiza-Ifrah

Hockley Valley is part of the Niagara Escarpment which was created by a long process of erosion. The escarpment starts from Lake Erie, giving rise to Niagara Falls, then curves around Lake Ontario and reaches northward into Halton Region (covered under Burlington page), passing through the western and northern edges of Peel Region (covered under Mississauga page), cutting across Dufferin County, and continuing to the tip of the Bruce Peninsula and beyond (covered under the pages on Tobermory and Bruce Peninsula National Park), ending at Manitoulin Island.

The Nottawasaga River cuts a picturesque gorge across the escarpment. Forested moraines and open meadows lie upstream, and swamp and bottomland forest spread across the valley floor, stretching for several kilometres.

We hiked in the provincial park in Fall 2009. There were great Fall season views as we walked along the many ridges of the escarpment. The scenic variation included many streams, bridges, woods, meadows and undulations.

We entered the Bruce Trail on the north side of Hockley Road. Now, Hockley Road itself is a scenic road and I recommend a drive by car. In just a few hundred metres, the Trail bifurcated. The Tom East Side Trail went straight ahead while the main Bruce Trail turned left climbing a steep incline to a lookout point.

The trails seemed to be very popular with Chinese visitors as we saw bus load of tourists dropping by and going for the hike.

NEVER again.

by TripAdvisor Member be11a

My fiance and I made the mistake of booking our wedding at hockley valley resort. If I could go back, I would never make that same mistake again. The resort may have a reputation for fine cuisine (and that's what initially drew us to the resort in the first place), but their customer service and hospitality skills are really lacking, to say the least. I definitely agree with most of the comments made on this bulletin board....hockley valley desreves a rating even lower than the one i have given it in this review.

Not only did they make the entire wedding planning process very difficult and frustrating for us, but our guests have been truly frustrated with them as well. numerous attempts were made to book rooms under the quoted wedding rate, but unfortunately were not honoured by the hotel staff when the guests called in. in addition, upon our initial inspection of the resort, we were shown some beautifully renovated, clean, modern rooms .... little did we know that there were also PLENTY of nonrenovated, unkept rooms at the resort. many of which were given to our guests and family members. considering how much revenue was brought into the resort from our wedding alone, not to mention the additional costs of the accomodations ... the LEAST they could have done was be honest with us and let us know from the get go that the room they were showing us was not indicative of all the rooms available to our guests.

such a shame. our experience at hockley valley has left such a bad taste in our mouth ..... and we will NEVER ever return there again, much less recommend the place to anyone we know.

Loved our Wedding at Hockley

by TripAdvisor Member ToeSideToronto

We held our wedding at Hockley the weekend of September 15th. We played golf, enjoyed the spa and many of our guests stayed overnight. We'd give our overall experience a 4.5 and would highly recommend Hockley as a wedding venue (but recommend you read our comment below on their staff)

The spa was a 4.5/5. We had a lot of last minute changes and the spa handled them very well. The make-up artists were lovely but could tend to think they know best and disregarded some of our requests - we ended up having to do our own touch-ups. Overall though the spa was everything a first-rate spa should be.

The Food: Dinner at Horizons and our buffet wedding meal were a 5/5. Absolutely fantastic. We've received many compliments on meal from our guests as well.

The Venue 4.5/5. The location was absolutely beautiful. The scenery was phenomenal and the hotel stunning. Our rooms were also fantastic. Many of our guests spent more than one night and noticed a sub-standard level of cleaning done in the rooms for an overnight stay. Not enough left in the rooms, used shower caps taken but not replaced - little things like that.

Staff 3/5. Most of the staff at Hockley was exceptional. Our only real negative experience at Hockley was their customer service. From the very beginning we were disappointed with Hockley valley because of the unbelievably poor customer service we received from their wedding coordinator, Connie Hodgkinson. Phone calls were not returned, when we did luck out and catch her live she would actually not answer our questions but instead patronizingly tell us "not to fret". Our questions were not in the least silly or insignificant and we desperately needed the answers to in order to plan our event. We are not high-maintenance couple. We asked her a total of four questions on two occasions. Her sugary sweet but clearly insincere wrap-ups to our phone calls did not change our opinion of her skills. We were told we'd be contacted 8 weeks before the wedding to finalize details. 6 weeks before the wedding we started leaving messages every other day. We finally heard back from her about 4 weeks before our event. Thankfully, their brilliant catering manager Dianne Kennedy, more than made up for Connie's startling incompetence. She was a godsend. Absolutely everything you could want in a person managing your function. All of the hiccups in our wedding were our own fault and she rescued us from ourselves several times. Once we were in Dianne's hands it was smooth sailing.

In the end, we had a gorgeous wedding at Hockley. It was a very positive experience.

Terrible - NO Concept of CUSTOMER SERVICE at all!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member sinduh

We had booked two nights in the King Executive Suite hoping to enjoy golf and spa time. What was to be a relaxing mini getaway was turned into a nightmare stay. We left after night one.
Their check in time is 4 pm (very late if one wants to enjoy the amenities on check in day). But our room was not ready at the appointed hour. The desk manager started an arguement with my husband who - rightly so - wanted to cancel given this person's attitute. I wanted a spa day, so I stepped in, told the front desk to put luggage on a trolley - bring to room when ready - and send us to the pool with drinks until the room was ready. Did I really have to think this up - should this not be what a hotel does when they are in the wrong?
We had dinner in the dining room. The food was not great by any stretch of the imagination. The room was lovely, however.
The next morning - because this resort is such a wedding mill - there were at least a hundred people looking for breakfast. The hotel was not equipped to deal with the numbers ( you would think they would know how many guests would be coming down for breakfast? - they have them booked for the night after all) The line up for the buffet was outrageous and the dishes were empty. There was literally no food. And, when it did come - it was bad. We had to go into town for breakfast. That was it, we left. There was no attempt by the staff to try to make our stay better, nor any attempt to ask why we were leaving early and try to rectify the situation for us. It was absolutely the most disappointing vacation ever. This for $500+ / night. You have to be kidding. GO TO TABOO - it is definitely worth the money and they treat you well. DO NOT STAY HERE.

Dining Room was good.. nothing else..

by TripAdvisor Member Familyman_1957

My Wife and I stayed at Hockley in early august of this year. Overall we were rather dissappointed in the hotel. The front desk staff was very short and rude with us as they were "very busy". Coming to a hotel of this kind we really expected at least a bell attendant to meet us at the door to help with luggage, but even when we asked for assistance with our bags we were told there was no one available. ( Meanwhile there were two other front desk staff doing nothing at the time). Our room was absolutly beautifully renovated, however the cleanliness of the room could have been better. We dined in horizons dining room that evening and they seemed to make the entire stay worthwhile. We were greeted with a smile by a very friendly english lady who took the time to explain about our dinner package. (would have been nice if the entree surcharges were on the advertisments) Our server, Dan, was exceptional, he was extrememly attentive and professional with us, and knew more about the hotel and surrounding area then his manager did, who we had spoken to earlier that day. The food was incredible, however we had to send the venison back as it was still a little cold. But when it came out the second time was great. Mistakes happen. The Golf course at this resort was beautiful, but very difficult, it would have been nice if there was more then one beverage cart going around the course on a saturday afternoon. Overall this experience with the hotel was satisfactory and we will consider staying in the hotel again, but will definatly return for the dining room.

Great Experience At Hockley Resort and Spa !

by TripAdvisor Member CanadaMazee

I stayed at this place last week ( August , 2007). One nite, and I bought the single person spa resort package. In a nutshell: GREAT resort. Staff were over and above ! Dinner was the best I have had ever, anywhere, and I am 61. Service, presentation, and food was superb. I had a lovely room. Canopy bed, pillow top, all to-notch. Next day I had buffet breakfast, used the pool (inside) and the whirlpool. Also went for treatment to the spa. Totally excellent and professional. I asked many questions of many staff when I was there, wandered around , all were so friendly and helpful I was soooo sorry I had to leave. Would have loved to stay much longer and experience a full day of the spa. Will hopefully go back for a longer stay. Wrote out some suggestions for the owners/managers and I really hope they care enough to get back to me about my suggestions and mild criticisms. In the meantime, I must say they are doing an awesome job and I would highly recommend this palce to anyone. Enjoy !

Depressing spa experience

by TripAdvisor Member MichelleOrangeville

I received a spa gift certificate from my husband as an anniversary present. It included a one hour swedish massage, spa facial, and spa manicure, then pedicure. Also a spa lunch. I booked weeks in advance, I was told I would have the lunch for one hour in between the treatments. I had a one hour massage, with an expressionless masseuse who did not speak to me unless I asked a question, no smile or friendliness, at any time. The massage itself was thorough but often painful. I left that feeling cold and empty. My facial was nice. Then, I had my lunch, when booked was for one hour, but for some reason, everyone else got one hour but I got 2. So after eating an extremely dry, but tasty, chicken sandwich, I sat, alone, for 2 hours. Nobody checked in on me, offered me a drink, offered me a magazine, or spoke one word to me in 2 long hours. I sat in the ladies lounge area in a robe, unable to at least tour the place, or maybe take a swim. At least if coffee was offered or someone took me on a tour for a few minutes...it would have been tolerable. Then I had a nice manicure and pedicure. I left the place actually happy to be finished, when it should have been otherwise. During my 2 hour lunch coma, I felt totally ignored and worthless. I would not go back, even with another gift certificate.

Week stay at resort

by TripAdvisor Member CDNTraveler2007

After spending four nights and five days at the resort I can't say I wasn't very impressed. The resort is set in a great location, and in general the property was in good order.

The exception was in my bathroom where some tiles in the bathtub were missing grout and others were poorly fitted. The toilet seat was small and round while the actual toilet was large and oval leaving much of the toilet rim uncovered. I was also surprised to find the toilet tank cover was obviously taken from another larger toilet and placed on the top of mine. It was not secure to the top of the toilet and moved around freely.

I was most disappointed with the staff and their level of friendliness. The majority of the wait staff in the main dining room were often missing in action and acted as though it was a bother when you asked for a drink or water.

I think this resort would be better served under new management as the current management obviously do not understand customer service or hospitality.

Orangeville / Hockley Valley - arts and nature

by airkarat

I live only an hour's drive away from Orangeville / Hockley valley, but have arranged weekend getaways from this area.

We often drive through the Hockley valley in the autumn to see the leaves turning colour.

I will concentrate on tips related to the areas surrounding Orangeville.

Comments