Courtyard By Marriott Ottawa

great service

by TripAdvisor Member leonard-TRIP

Arriving early- 12:00 , we decided to try to check in early. Front
desk very friendly. Room was ready , Also Requested if any
double rooms were availabe. shouldn't be a problem - just check
back after 3 and we can move you ( even though we would already
have moved into first room) . room very Large and quiet - court yard side , Wireless internet. Breakfast buffet was the best i've had at
Courtyard- Omeltes,pancakes,french toast ,fresh fruit etc. Had
small problem with bill ( breakfast was to be included ) Talked
to front desk and they quickly took care of bill. Pool was warm - Hot
tub hot - One of our best experience from a courtyard- Excellent
front desk.

Worth the money, central Market location

by TripAdvisor Member KatieCanada

This is a solid 3* hotel - wonderful location on Dalhousie St, on the eastern end of the Byward Market, and a 5 min walk to the Parliament Buildings and the Rideau Centre.
Clean accomodations and great beds - basic room included 2 queen beds, a chair/ottoman, a desk, bathroom and TV. Rooms all had AC and wireless internet access (free).

Check in was smooth and quick. I didn't use the parking, but there were signs that the lot was full so I'm not sure if that's a concern usually.

I also didn't use the hotel restaurant since there are so many great restaurants in the area. Would definitely stay here again. I had a courtyard facing room, and no noise concerns at all.

Where the Action Is!

by TripAdvisor Member mickeytor

I staying in this hotel a few times over the years (way back when as a child with my parents when the site was a Holiday Inn) and most recent ly this past weekend. Here's how it stacks up (in my view) today.

On the plus side - the hotel and rooms are quite clean. A room with a king-sized bed is pretty standard in size with room for a desk, a dressor and space to move around. The bathrooms were well stocked with shampoos, soaps, towels, etc. Maid service is daily - and early if you don't have your DO NOT DISTURB sign posted. The Front desk staff is VERY helpful, very professional and always friendly.

We got into town a little earlier than planned (around 12:30pm) and the room was ready and waiting for us. This was a big bonus that I really appreciated. In fact, when I talked to Marriot to book this room, they told me they would 'see' about getting early check in. I don't find too many hotels this flexibile - so it was much appreciated.

Location is excellent - situated right in the heart of the Byward Market. From here, tourists are within walking distance to restaurants, the National Gallery and the Parliament Buildings. There is also shopping at the Rideau Centre, and central bus service and tourist info for the rest of the city. The hotel seems to cater to families (as there were lots of kids running around when I was there).

I didn't use any of the facilities, such as the gym or the pool , but there was no doubt that they were there as the entire building smelled of chloryne. It wasn't overwhelming or anything - it was just there.

The one negative about this hotel - and the one thing for which I might consider a different hotel next time - is the noise. I'm a city a person, used to the sounds of drunken teenagers (for which the Byward Market is full of on a warm Saturday night), plus I was really tired - so I slept right through most of it. But from the third floor, I seemed to be right over all the action - and what I didn't hear going on outside - I could hear going on inside. The hallways were often littered with party-hearty 'I-AM-Canadian" type guests.

For my next visit, I'm tempted to do the Chateau Laurier or the Lord Elgin. Much pricier - but the whole party-on-dude type of atmosphere that becomes the Byward Market in the evenings - really isn't for me.

Courtyard By Marriott-Ottowa Was Great!

by TripAdvisor Member Lifetraveler1

When:
Visited Ottowa overnight starting on the 9th of May, 2007. We flew up to take in a few sites.

Location:
Picked this hote for two reasons. 1) Because it was a Courtyard by Marriott, which I use to stay at a lot before I retired. They are always consistently of good quality. 2) The information said it was near the ByWard Marketplace, which is a major activity hub in Ottowa.

The location was right on target. The market area was just one block behind the hotel, no car needed. The market had shops and tons of places to eat (Italian, Greek, Lebanese, Chinese, Japanese, American, Seafood) and a market with stands selling fresh fruits and vegetables.

Tourist attractions appeared to be within a reasonably short and comfortable walk from the hotel. That included the Museum of Art, The Parliament, Civilization Museum, War Museum and the Mint.

Hotel Quality:
As previously stated Courtyard by Marriotts have been pretty good to me and this was no exception. The rooms were modern, a nice size and clean. The staff was very helpful in providing directions and making suggestions for places to find food at a reasonable price.

Price:
Initially the hotel wasn't available. However, after a few more web attempts I got the hotel for $130 U.S. Other hotels for the same night in that area were running no less than $229.

Amenities:
Didn't check out pools or anything, because we didn't have enough time. They have a breakfast buffet for about $15, which is actually worth it. Waffles, french toast, pancakes, made to order omelets, fruits, cereal, granolas, crescent and other bread stuff.

Bottomline:
This hotel was great and it was in a very good location. It will the one I stay at next time I zip up to Ottowa.

Good bet for the Ottawa downtown area

by TripAdvisor Member Canada_Turtle

This review is based on a 5-night stay in May 2007, written by a business traveller who frequents Marriott and Hilton-chain hotels throughout North America.

This hotel is a solid bet when staying in the Ottawa area. Think of a four-level, 20-30 year old hotel with the standard Marriott Courtyard quality in the heart of downtown.

Pros:
- Standard Courtyard quality: clean, efficient, effective.
- Location, location, location - situated in the heart of downtown, walking distance to numerous restaurants and attractions.
- Buffet ($15 CAD) includes "real", thick ham, and fried mushrooms, along with all other typical hot buffet entrees.
- Soap, shampoo, conditioner, shoe mitt included every day.
- central thermostat controls the heating / cooling of the rooms.
- wireless internet (i.e. wi-fi card required) running at 10 MBs.
- Cheaper than the nearby Marriott and Residence Inn.

Cons:
- no curved shower bar for the bath tub.

I didn't have any trouble with noise; however, I had a room that overlooked the courtyard (i.e. in the inner sanctum of the hotel).

Not good for the price

by TripAdvisor Member Zann11

I'll start with the good part...the location of this hotel is excellent if you like the night-life and being in the heart of the city. The room is decent...very comfortable bed, clean room.

However, the bad part is that it is downtown, and loud. Be very careful what room you select because if you are anywhere near a main street, you will hear people talking, and traffic like it is in your room.

I also had bad service at this hotel...no hot water, and no re-imbursement for the trouble. NOT impressed. I think this was a one-time thing though, and based on the person I got at the hotel desk. Considering the price though, I would NOT stay there ever again.

Terrific stay at this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member famingan

Stayed here for two nights and absolutely loved it. We were concerned about the noise level as the hotel is right in the heart of the market but didn't hear a thing...Wonderfully peaceful after long days (boat cruise on the Ottawa River, steam train to Wakefield, Museum of Civilization, National Gallery, light show on Parliament Hill, etc.).

Front desk staff were superb. We just loved Ingrid and Mario! They were very, very helpful and delightfully charming.

Beds excellent, room spacious, pool was a big hit with our kids. On a hot summer's day, the complimentary ice-cold lemonade in the lobby was a lovely touch and who can fault a hotel that keeps a stock of haagen daas on hand??

Breakfast buffet had everything you could possibly ask for (wonderful fresh berries!) and our server Jeanne was simply superb.

Overall, excellent staff, comfortable, clean, quiet room and a location that couldn't be better...Would stay again without any hesitation at all.

Smelly

by TripAdvisor Member emandernie

Hallways smell like dirty socks is the best description. No safe in room, lighting is poor. Breakfast not included but is at their sister property The Residences. For a Marriott, this is an embarrassment unfortunately. Staff tries hard and is friendly but the place needs an overhaul

'Solid' Courtyard hotel with a couple of drawbacks

by TripAdvisor Member drc225

You generally know what you are getting with a Courtyard and this one delivers. Its an older property, right in the heart of Ottawa conveniently located for the Congress center (about a 5 min walk away).

Stayed two nights in late Oct '07. Standard Marriott Courtyard stuff (I always try and stay with Marriott if possible due to the consistently high standard I have experienced with them - and no do not work for Marriott!).

The couple of negatives which knock a 'star' off my rating are:

1. very small pokey gym with one stepper, one jogger and one weights machine in a space not large enough. I didn't use it as it didn't appeal.

2. Found the Wifi broadband to be very slow. It was better in the early mornings (less people on it I guess) but in the early evenings (6pm - 8pm) I found I was unable to use Skype voice calls properly - a first in a Marriott.

My room was on the inner courtyard overlooking the pool area so no comment on noise as I didn't experience any.

I'd certainly stay here again if ever in Ottawa.

Clean, Nice Price, Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member AlexMac17

Clean hotel in a great location. Might not be the fanciest place, but it is clean, prices are reasonable and the location is perfect.

Comments