3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Costs 30% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Crowne Plaza Hotel Ottawa

An average stay

by TripAdvisor Member ShabbyChique

The Crowne Plaza Ottawa is clean, comfortable and provides all the basic amenities that one would expect from a chain hotel brand.

We booked online and were surprised to find a deluxe room with a king bed available for only $98/night (my previous experience at this hotel found it impossible to get anything for less than $179). This was a Crowne Plaza internet special - we stayed at the tail end of the March Break in Ontario, so I guess they were slashing room rates to compensate for the business that was about to dwindle away with families returning home. As it was, the hotel was very quiet during our stay... seemed as though hardly anyone was staying there.

Must recognize the very courteous and helpful front desk staff. We expected to have to leave our bags and come back, as we arrived early for check-in, but the front desk found us another room - ultimately resulting in a free upgrade to the hotel's "club" floor (located on 25th floor, room card required in elevator to access the floor, free hors d'oeuvres and continental breakfast in club lounge - but this not available on weekends?? Hmm, cheapskates!)

If the club-level is meant to be the hotel's premier floor, I would hate to see what their basic rooms look like -- our executive suite, as it was called, was certainly nothing special. The room was very average and run-of-the-mill: a bed, a desk, a chaise-lounge, and a TV. Bonus though was the provision of an in-room fridge, which we found handy. I felt sorry for other guests who paid extra to be on this floor.

Bathroom was pitifully small, so much so that the door almost hits the toilet when opening it. There is a nice showerhead in the tub, but I'll be damned if we weren't able to figure out how to adjust its settings. The club floor also affords you ONE terry robe only, not the basic 2 that most other hotels provide.

Crowne Plaza really focuses on wanting to provide its guests with a perfect night's sleep - we were left with a CD of soothing bedtime music, sleep masks, earplugs and lavendar fabric spray to induce relaxation. And the bed is large and inviting with many pillows. All nice touches. But Crowne Plaza needs to look at the basic things first when it comes to ensuring their guests' sleeping needs - say, like, insulating water pipes. We were awoken at 6am to the sound of housekeeping starting its rounds around the hotel (I guess our room was located near a housekeeping closet). All we heard was flushing and rushing water until our check-out later that morning. VERY annoying, no wonder they give you the earplugs.

Another thing that utterly surprised me was the exorbitant parking charges ($17/day) to park in a lot that was maybe 1/8 full. You see, the hotel is adjacent to the Place de Ville office complex and they share the parking lot with the civil servants who work next door. As we were staying on a weekend, there were no parking workers to contend with. The lot was so quiet that they didn't even have a parking attendant on-duty to collect fares - the gate was up - we came and went as we liked all weekend. If we hadn't mentioned our vehicle upon check-in, we could have parked for free the whole time and the hotel wouldn't have been the wiser.

All in all, Crowne Plaza is nice, but I certainly wouldn't pay more than $100/night for a room here. Its somewhat removed location is also a thumbs-down (it is on the outskirts of the downtown area). However, the hotel is situated around a good number of eating establishments like Baton Rouge, Tim Hortons and the Scone Witch, as well as a convenience store (Hasty Market), Hertz car rental office and a walk-in medical clinic (Appletree).

Couldnt fault this hotel...

by TripAdvisor Member David-NZ

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza for 2 days in September as part of a Trafalgar tour group; although the group moved on after the first night and we stayed on for another to fit in with our itinerary; got an excellent Internet rate direct with the hotel for the second night including breakfast.
Our room was newly renovated and we could not find any fault with it, not that large but very comfortable; with a nice outlook.
Our group meals were not too bad, but our breakfast on the second day was outstanding, the nicest buffet we struck in our travels.
Nice little business centre with free Internet access, and staff very helpful.
We ate one night at the "Baton Rouge" across the street, best baby back ribs this side of Tony Roma's.
A reasonable but easy walk to Spark St Mall and markets, and overall a very nice experience; we were very impressed with Ottawa, a lovely clean city with a lot of interest.
We left by rail to go to Quebec ; be aware that the railroad station has been shifted from the middle of town to the suburbs, about a 20 minute taxi ride; easy to get to but remember the time if its in busy traffic hours.
A very nice stay in a pleasant property.

Really nice place!

by TripAdvisor Member ejpiii

There were a LOT of people walking around in the lobby when we arrived, so it took a few minutes to get checked in. It turns out there was a regional AA meeting taking place. Looked like any other business meeting. There is a Tim Hortons at street level, and the hotel restaraunt was a really pleasant surprise. Clean, excellent bed, and the staff was Canadian friendly, even putting up with our inane questions about the town's ultra sleek looking black squirrels "you mean they aren't black in the states"?

Great place.

Great Service!

by TripAdvisor Member Marla550

I stayed 2 days at this hotel and found the staff to be exceptionally helpful. In addition to all that you might expect at a good hotel, we were given a great room with a great view, and offered assistance to plan our days in Ottawa, including recommending some top-notch entertainment available that we would have not otherwise known about. The location was convenient for walking everywhere that I needed to go in the downtown area. The pool and fitness rooms were ample. I did not dine at the restaurants at the hotel because we had made other arrangements. There was a hefty charge for parking, typical in my experience of all the other hotels in downtown Ottawa. My bed had more pillows than I knew what to do with. The mattress was comfortable. The water from the shower head was a little weak.

wind howling through the night

by TripAdvisor Member Human44

I've stayed here a few times over the years, but never when the winds were very strong. On the 20th floor, there is a howling of the winds through vents and along window sils that kept me awake through the night.

For a place that puts 7 pillows on the bed, you'd think that at least one would be comfortably flat for those who like them that way.

Not Bad

by TripAdvisor Member MTLSteve

Stayed here for one night in January with my fiancé to visit friends and also for a bit of romance. Reserved via my corporate program at a rate of $94 on an executive floor (2210), therefore I really can't complain for the price. The check-in staff was just friendly enough... I asked about our continental breakfast and evening hors-d'oeuvres that were included in the executive floor rate, and she directed me to the executive floor lounge on the 25th floor. Upon arrival there was a sign stating that it was closed on weekends. Found this odd as we checked in on a Saturday! I went to the front desk and they prepared us coupons for breakfast in the restaurant as well as hors-d'oeuvres there that evening. Both were quite nice and worth the extra $15 it cost for the executive floor.

The highlight of the room was the bed itself, which I suppose is the most important part of a hotel room! It was extremely comfortable and we both slept perfectly well despite being right across from the elevator (luckily the bathroom seems to block most of the noise, and the hotel seemed awfully quiet). The rest of the room was mediocre. The desk was scratched up quite badly, the armchair (though comfortable) was extremely worn and you could see the stuffing in some places, the TV wall-unit was all scuffed up, the bathroom was very clean and some things were brand new (taps, toilet, etc) but extremely small. Nice clean shower, but water pressure was very weak (low-flow shower head). Nice bathroom amenities, well-lit and ventilated.

The room had a fridge which was nice to have, with nice views and an opening window. Staff was nice and friendly and we had a couple of minor requests (including a cork-screw) that were dealt with politely and quickly. Pool area looked decent, we visited it but didn't swim. Did put my feet in the water and it was very very warm! No hot tub, but sauna and decent-size gym, and even a little basketball area for some one-on-one.

Overall, I would come back here if I were to pay $105 or less. I have stayed at the Marriott and the Minto Suites in Ottawa and I prefer those hotels in most respects, though they tend to be a little more expensive.

All in all, a nice place if you're looking for a clean and comfortable room with a view. If you're looking for a luxurious hotel, you will probably want to keep looking. Again, the bed was great and the room was quiet... can't fault the hotel for two of the major components of a good hotel stay :)

Above average in the 3 Star category

by TripAdvisor Member sonata_k304

We got the room through Hotwire and it was 58$ USD.

Location: Easy to find, close to Rideau center and Byward Market.

Clean and Comfy:
Since it's a 3 star, we weren't expecting much but it was surprisingly comfortable and clean.

Parking:
We stayed 2 weekend nights during Easter weekend and we got free parking right next to the hotel on the street on one of the nights and the previous, we paid 10$ CAD in an outside parking lot, again next to the hotel. Hotel charges 18$ overnight which we didn't use.

Complaints:
Some little things that were not that great. Washroom is a bit small. No free wireless in the lobby but they have a business center and the connection is fast (we watched hockey video highlights and it was fine).

Overall: It was great for our short stay, even for a longer stay I would recommend it. I stayed at a few average hotels in Ottawa before, including the Sheraton rated 4 star and the Crowne was a lot better.

Decent Beds

by TripAdvisor Member Canadian_Ron

Had a decent stay at this place April 2-4th. Rooms are quite small, but you aren't visiting Ottawa to stay in your room so it didn't matter. Had a great night's sleep, but they overdo it with the pillows (7).

Internet access is $ 9.95 plus taxes per day, which is way to high. I only ate breakfast in the hotel.. good service but way overpriced for what you get. Typical breakfast is just about $ 20 with bacon so thin the pig never even felt it being cut off, and I have never seen toast this thin before. Decent breakfast can be obtained right across the street in an upstairs cafe for less than half the cost.

I would stay there again, as I had a great nights sleep and the staff were great.

Great staff.Just ok hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member society

Stayed here for a week in May .Business and pleasure combined.Staff were terrific but hotel was disappointing.
ARRIVAL..Be prepared to drag your luggage up five or six steps.Could an architect really have designed this entrance ?
BEDROOMS.
Dull and small.Bathrooms are very small though adequate and very clean.
Very little wardrobe space especially if like us you are on a longish trip.NO FRIDGE.Found this hard to beleive.Reception can arrange a fridge for a small fee though on aour arrival they were all out of fridges and we had to wait till the next day.
Air conditioning is very old fashioned and noisy.No remote control so in the middle of the night you have to ger out of bed to make any adjustments.The system has no on off switch so you just have to put up with the noise .
Bed are extremely comfortable and enough pillows for a very good pillow fight.
RESTAURANT.Food usual hotel fare though breakfast was on the cold side.While we were there the hotel heating was on the blink and the breakfast room was very cold.We found it expensive at 16 dollars each plus taxes plus tips.
BUSINESS CENTRE.This was very usefull.Free access to internet 24 hours daily.However there are only two pcs available and that is what constitutes the business centre.
LOCATION.The location is excellent.Really within walking distance of everything and if you do take a taxi it only costs about 8 dollars into the downtown area.
THE STAFF.Definately this hotels strength.Abdel at the concierge desk is a mine of information and you wont go wrong following his guidance.He is a real gentleman.
Value for money.N ot for us .We booked through the hotel and paid about 160 dollars.We wouldnt go back at those prices.However at the good value prices I see others have negotiated we might return.
A TIP.If you decide to stay here try breadfast or lunch at the scone witch cafe accross the road.They do really good scones and soups and very good tea indeed.

Comments