130 Besserer Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1N 9M9, Canada

Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Like being home

I stayed three nights at the Les Suites. Came in on a Sunday, driving from the airport along the Colonel By and taking a right just before the Westin hotel. I was lucky enough to see the indoor Les Suites parking entrance at the left on Daly Avenue. Even more luck: the door was open, so I raced up two stories in the garage and went down with my luggage to the lobby. Quick service and before I knew I was in my room. Excuse me, my appartment: Living room with fully equipped kitchen, adjacent office with desk; room with washer/dryer/iron, bathroom #1, bedroom with bathroom #2 and a balcony.

I had to adjust myself and organise my stuff in such a way, that I was not constantly looking for what was where. 2 TV's, wireless ethernet and some cold water in the fridge.

The only minor point was that one of the three elevators was out of service.

Breakfast could be taken at the small internet café at the lobby and charged to the room.

The inhouse parking was about CAD 15 per day. Parking pass at the front desk (there is limited parking space in front; only for arrival/departure).

The staff was very friendly (ever smiling maid) and the frontdesk arranged a WiFi-bridge USN for free for my laptop (yes, I had that old Windows 98 monster with me).

Unique Quality: Great location.

Ideal for a family or when you have to stay some weeks in the city.

Directions: East side of Rideau center

• Kaspian's Profile Photo

Les Suites Hotel Ottawa

I unlock the door, walk into the room, and my mouth gapes open in surprise. I shut my eyes and do a double take. It's still the same. This room looks almost exactly like my apartment back home! The layout is spot on and everything is in the same place--the location of the TV, coffee table, lamps, kitchen, bedroom, dresser, bed, bathroom, mirrors, windows, and closets. The only differences are that this suite has all new furnishings, a washer and dryer room, a walk out balcony, and everything is incredibly clean. Needless to say, with the 6-pack of beer under my arm, it takes only seconds to settle into my new surroundings.
    The location of this hotel is magnificent! It's within a few steps of the Byward Market and the Rideau Centre mall and easy walking distance to the Parliament Buildings and the famous shopping on Sparks Street.
    The kitchenette has a microwave, a stove, dishes, cutlery, and a full-sized fridge. Oh, this is going to be an easy stay indeed!
    The front desk staff was friendly and quick. Check-in took only a few seconds. The lobby has a nice little cafe that also serves pasties and sandwiches.
    On the last of my three-nights here, I decide to check out the pool. Again, my mouth gapes open in awe. The pool is incredible! It's the greatest pool I've seen at a Canadian hotel. It's full-size and goes deeper than my head, which is a rarity considering how tall I am. On one side of the pool room is a gigantic window that affords a panoramic view of the city. Beside that is a door that leads to a sundeck people can use in the summer. There's only a half-dozen people hanging around the pool, and they slowly leave. I'm left with this great room and a piping hot jacuzzi all to myself.
    In the change room there's both a sauna and a steam room. I take my time sampling each. I've never tried a steam room before!
    At check out, a staff member asks how my stay was. I reply, "I feel like I've been at a spa this whole weekend! It was amazing! And at such a great price!"

Unique Quality: Rooms have a kitchenette, a washer and dryer. A fantastic large pool, sauna, jacuzzi, steam room, and outdoor sundeck.

Directions: Near the Rideau Centre at the end of Dalhousie St.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Spacious interior

Our suite was quite nice, with lots of room to spread out in the dining room/living room area. It had a small desk in the far right corner where I set up my laptop using their wireless internet service and there was also a sliding door out onto the balcony which overlooked an interior courtyard. The living room couch also doubled as a fold-out bed. Just inside the main door was a small separate room with a clothes washer and dryer stacked on top of each other.

There was a TV in both the living room and the bedroom, but we only actually used it on our final night when our daughter finally had some time to herself and came down to watch a regular program with us. The bathroom was quite nice, but the temperature of the shower water was a bit difficult to control, not initially responding to a turn of the fawcett but then quickly getting colder or hotter a few seconds after you thought you were in the clear!

Unique Quality: The kitchen came equipped with dishes and cutlery, as well as a toaster, coffeemaker and salt/pepper. We made use of a nearby supermarket to stock up on a few supplies for our fridge, so we were able to make our own breakfasts and light sandwiches for lunch. It was also nice to have cheese and crackers on hand to go with the bottles of wine we had purchased.

Our daughter's room was on the same floor at the far end of the hallway, so it was convenient for us to either go to their room or bring their two children to ours whenever she and her husband were involved with the preparations leading up to the wedding. The housekeeping lady was very friendly and we had some great conversations with her in the course of our stay.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

A perfect downtown location!

We were invited to an October wedding in Ottawa and a block of rooms at Les Suites had been set aside by the organizers as the place for the wedding guests to stay, so that is indeed where Sue and I made camp for four nights! It turned out to be a great location, with friendly staff and within easy walking distance of many of the main attractions in downtown Ottawa.

The hotel web-site was very helpful in guiding us through the streets of Ottawa, directly to their doorstep. Upon check-in, you are issued a red plastic card to swipe your way into their attached multi-level aboveground parking garage. It was easy to use and there was never any problem finding either a place to park or a nearby elevator for quick access to our 7th floor room.

Unique Quality: The hotel has a small ground floor restaurant serving meals all day long. As we found out when we had to help with child-minding duties for two of our grandchildren, there is also a very nice swimming pool and adjoining hot tub located on the 3rd floor.

I was very surprised to find an impressive statue of South American hero Simon Bolivar (1783-1830) perched on a pedestal outside the hotel entrance. The inscription on its base said that he was the founder of Bolivia and liberator of Columbia, Peru, Ecuador, Panama and Venezuela. Due to close connections between the Venezuelan ambassador and the mayor of Ottawa, the statue was presented to the City by the Venezuelan government in October, 1988.

The quoted rate for our room was C$139 (US$128) but with a small tax and C$13.60/day for parking charges, my total daily cost was C$157, not bad considering the location and quaility of the suite itself (see next tip).

Directions: Almost at the western end of Besserer Street and just a block from the corner of Sussex and Rideau

• Quartzy's Profile Photo

A good hotel

This is a good hotel. The staff at reception was very friendly when we arrived, even trying a few words in French once they realized it was our first language.

Unique Quality: The hotel has a swimming pool and a spa - they're relatively small but I don't think it ever gets very crowded in there. There is also a gym room, which I thought was pretty small, too. I didn't try it though and I only saw one person using the gym facilities, so again, it might be the right size.

There is also a small and cheap restaurant in the hotel. They don't offer big and fancy meals (it's a franchise but the name of the restaurant flees my mind at the moment) but it's convenient if you don't feel like going out.

The hotel offers indoor parking as well, but you have to pay a daily extra fee.

In the rooms you'll find a small kitchen so you can cook your own meals if you don't want to spend money in restaurants.

More about Les Suites Hotel Ottawa

Not Likely To Stay At Les Suites Again

I stayed at this hotel for 4 days, and have been to this hotel a number of times now, and continued to go there as the location is perfect (right near Byward Market, the Rideau Centre and loads of restaurants) and the room size is more than generous when compared to other hotels, given that you get a separate bedroom(s) and living area and a kitchen.

That being said, each year the service slips down further and this year was no exception. The front desk needs some serious changes as the majority of the staff do not have a professional customer service attitude. Guests are not provided with apologies when things go wrong, such as when my dry cleaning which was promised to be in my room by 5pm, turned out to be at the front desk the next morning and I was told if I wanted it, I had to come and get it.

The suite is okay, nothing special, a little tired looking, with very poor bed linens and hard pillows.

But the biggest issue by far was that I was unable to use the wireless internet connection in my room. The hotel uses a third-party provider, Data Valet, and when I spoke with their technician, I was told the router which serviced my room was faulty and he couldn't say when the router would be fixed. The front desk insisted that the router was working fine - which doesn't make sense if the technician already confirmed there was a problem. When I brought my laptop to the mezzaine floor and sat outside the business centre, I was able to quickly connect to the wireless router on that floor, which showed that my laptop was working fine. After 2 days of not being able to connect, I was provided with an ethernet hard-wire connection, which worked properly. I was told they couldn't provide this solution to me earlier as they didn't have sufficient hard-wire routers, but given the problems with the wireless, I think they ought to invest in several more.

I'm not sure if I will stay at this hotel again, even though I've used it for years. I don't want to have the same internet problems again, as it took so much of my time to sort out.

Great Expirence

by TripAdvisor Member NoahGill

Decided to take my family to visit the Nations Capital this summer. Since we were going for two weeks I did some research and found that Les Suites Hotel offered what I was looking for. It was the perfect place. It provide a very clean, large and spacious room, complete with a full kitchen. The hotel staff were extremely friendly and assisted us every morning when trying to plan our daily trips. Ran into the General Manager once on the elevator who was more than accomidating. Overall a great trip which was enriched due to the excellent staff at the hotel. Would greatly recommend to anyone. I'm suppose to return this fall to Ottawa on business and I will for sure returning to Les Suites Hotel.

Noah Gillies

Great value

by TripAdvisor Member kish

This is our third stay at Les Suites. We find the accommodation great value for the money paid. Where else would you get a two bedroom suite, full kitchen (stove, microwave, dishwasher, fridge etc.etc.) for the price of a regular room in another hotel? The suite even has a washer dryer, so would be perfect for families.
Many posters have complained about the hotel being dirty, but we had no problem with the standard of cleanliness. Maybe some people equate out of date furniture with cleanliness. The furniture in our room was up to date except the coffee table which was probably from the 70's/80's, but what does that matter?
Recent posters have also complained about the slow elevators. Yes they were slow at times, but there is a poster in the lobby apologizing for this due to renovations being done.

Dirty and Disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member fliiip

At our check-in, the reservation that we had booked two months ago was lost. When it was finally found, it had been deleted by mistake. The service at the front-office was very slow.
We were checked into a dirty room. The front desk clerk apologized and gave us another room. This one was presumably clean: empty bear bottles in the room, cigarette buds on the balcony, half of the light bulbs were burnt and the cutlery and plates in the so-called fully equipped kitchenette were missing.
The location is great for touring the heart of Ottawa but the homeless shelter makes it uncomfortable to walk alone at night time.

Be prepared for looong waits for the lift

by TripAdvisor Member Londoner_08

The suite was nice enough - spacious, ok furnishings - and the free wi-fi and laundry were both pluses. But one out of three lifts was out of order the whole time, and the other two were temperamental to say the least. On several occasions we had to wait more than 10 minutes for a lift, and other guests complained about waiting up to 30 minutes! For this reason alone I'd avoid it in future.

Montreal or Quebec or Both

by benalan1

Hi will be in Toronto for 5 days sight seeing etc and then on April 17 i will hire a car for 6 days so i was thinking on travelling up north to see Montreal and Quebec but i dont know if i have enough time to do it all? also can anyone tell me the sights i can find on the way or in the cities it self?
and as i will have a car can anybody reconmend places to stay which are not expensive as this is only part of my trip to Canada so have to watch the dollars

by stamporama

I have driven that route (starting from New Jersey) after crossing the border at Niagara Falls. My family stayed for 3 days in each of the city you plan to go, and I think it was just enough to take in the city sights...not much to see along the highway. For both Montreal and Quebec, the old city sections are charming and have a distinctly Parisian atmosphere. One must-see in Montreal is the St. Joseph oratory, a majestic structure on a hilltop, while in Quebec the Chateau Frontenac is sight to behold and marvel.

Re hotels, for Montreal you could check out Les Suites Labelle which is right in downtown and they have a secure basement parking. For Quebec, you may try the Comfort Inn website (comfortinn.com) to look for one; we stayed at the one at Beauport as you could park your car just outside the glass sliding door of your room(if you get one at the ground floor).

Hope this helps.

by risse73

I actually like both of these French Canadian cities, but I wished I had more time to really explore Quebec. I found it much lovelier than Montreal. Do both if you can squeeze them into your schedule.

In Montreal, there are many tourist spots: St. Joseph's Oratory, Latin Quarter, Biodome, Montmorency Falls (just outside of the city), etc. In Quebec, definitely visit the charming old town among many other points of interest.

See website for additional tourist info/deals:

Goodluck & enjoy French Canada!

by Jefie

Hi! I think it is possible to visit both Montreal and Quebec City in 6 days as long as you're OK with only visiting the main sights. Of course, you first need to take into account the time you'll be spending on the road (it takes about 8h to drive from Toronto to Quebec City). There are some cities you could visit along the way (Kingston is nice, so is Ottawa) but that would only take up more of your time.

If you only have a couple of days to spend in Quebec City, I would suggest spending it all in the old city, as it's already been suggested. I can also recommend one budget hotel that's located a 15-min car or bus drive away from the old city: Hotel Universel (http://www.hoteluniversel.qc.ca). It's not exactly new, but the rooms are clean and comfortable, it's located in a nice area and it's much cheaper than staying downtown.

Hope this helps you make a decision, have a great time in Canada!

Comments