130 Besserer Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1N 9M9, Canada

pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Like being home

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 21, 2007

I stayed three nights at the Les Suites. Came in on a Sunday, driving from the airport along the Colonel By and taking a right just before the Westin hotel. I was lucky enough to see the indoor Les Suites parking entrance at the left on Daly Avenue. Even more luck: the door was open, so I raced up two stories in the garage and went down with my luggage to the lobby. Quick service and before I knew I was in my room. Excuse me, my appartment: Living room with fully equipped kitchen, adjacent office with desk; room with washer/dryer/iron, bathroom #1, bedroom with bathroom #2 and a balcony.

I had to adjust myself and organise my stuff in such a way, that I was not constantly looking for what was where. 2 TV's, wireless ethernet and some cold water in the fridge.

The only minor point was that one of the three elevators was out of service.

Breakfast could be taken at the small internet café at the lobby and charged to the room.

The inhouse parking was about CAD 15 per day. Parking pass at the front desk (there is limited parking space in front; only for arrival/departure).

The staff was very friendly (ever smiling maid) and the frontdesk arranged a WiFi-bridge USN for free for my laptop (yes, I had that old Windows 98 monster with me).

Unique Quality: Great location.

Ideal for a family or when you have to stay some weeks in the city.

Directions: East side of Rideau center

Kaspian's Profile Photo

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 12, 2007

I unlock the door, walk into the room, and my mouth gapes open in surprise. I shut my eyes and do a double take. It's still the same. This room looks almost exactly like my apartment back home! The layout is spot on and everything is in the same place--the location of the TV, coffee table, lamps, kitchen, bedroom, dresser, bed, bathroom, mirrors, windows, and closets. The only differences are that this suite has all new furnishings, a washer and dryer room, a walk out balcony, and everything is incredibly clean. Needless to say, with the 6-pack of beer under my arm, it takes only seconds to settle into my new surroundings.
The location of this hotel is magnificent! It's within a few steps of the Byward Market and the Rideau Centre mall and easy walking distance to the Parliament Buildings and the famous shopping on Sparks Street.
The kitchenette has a microwave, a stove, dishes, cutlery, and a full-sized fridge. Oh, this is going to be an easy stay indeed!
The front desk staff was friendly and quick. Check-in took only a few seconds. The lobby has a nice little cafe that also serves pasties and sandwiches.
On the last of my three-nights here, I decide to check out the pool. Again, my mouth gapes open in awe. The pool is incredible! It's the greatest pool I've seen at a Canadian hotel. It's full-size and goes deeper than my head, which is a rarity considering how tall I am. On one side of the pool room is a gigantic window that affords a panoramic view of the city. Beside that is a door that leads to a sundeck people can use in the summer. There's only a half-dozen people hanging around the pool, and they slowly leave. I'm left with this great room and a piping hot jacuzzi all to myself.
In the change room there's both a sauna and a steam room. I take my time sampling each. I've never tried a steam room before!
At check out, a staff member asks how my stay was. I reply, "I feel like I've been at a spa this whole weekend! It was amazing! And at such a great price!"

Unique Quality: Rooms have a kitchenette, a washer and dryer. A fantastic large pool, sauna, jacuzzi, steam room, and outdoor sundeck.

Directions: Near the Rideau Centre at the end of Dalhousie St.

Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Spacious interior

by written on October 16, 2006

Our suite was quite nice, with lots of room to spread out in the dining room/living room area. It had a small desk in the far right corner where I set up my laptop using their wireless internet service and there was also a sliding door out onto the balcony which overlooked an interior courtyard. The living room couch also doubled as a fold-out bed. Just inside the main door was a small separate room with a clothes washer and dryer stacked on top of each other.

There was a TV in both the living room and the bedroom, but we only actually used it on our final night when our daughter finally had some time to herself and came down to watch a regular program with us. The bathroom was quite nice, but the temperature of the shower water was a bit difficult to control, not initially responding to a turn of the fawcett but then quickly getting colder or hotter a few seconds after you thought you were in the clear!

Unique Quality: The kitchen came equipped with dishes and cutlery, as well as a toaster, coffeemaker and salt/pepper. We made use of a nearby supermarket to stock up on a few supplies for our fridge, so we were able to make our own breakfasts and light sandwiches for lunch. It was also nice to have cheese and crackers on hand to go with the bottles of wine we had purchased.

Our daughter's room was on the same floor at the far end of the hallway, so it was convenient for us to either go to their room or bring their two children to ours whenever she and her husband were involved with the preparations leading up to the wedding. The housekeeping lady was very friendly and we had some great conversations with her in the course of our stay.

Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

A perfect downtown location!

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 16, 2006

We were invited to an October wedding in Ottawa and a block of rooms at Les Suites had been set aside by the organizers as the place for the wedding guests to stay, so that is indeed where Sue and I made camp for four nights! It turned out to be a great location, with friendly staff and within easy walking distance of many of the main attractions in downtown Ottawa.

The hotel web-site was very helpful in guiding us through the streets of Ottawa, directly to their doorstep. Upon check-in, you are issued a red plastic card to swipe your way into their attached multi-level aboveground parking garage. It was easy to use and there was never any problem finding either a place to park or a nearby elevator for quick access to our 7th floor room.

Unique Quality: The hotel has a small ground floor restaurant serving meals all day long. As we found out when we had to help with child-minding duties for two of our grandchildren, there is also a very nice swimming pool and adjoining hot tub located on the 3rd floor.

I was very surprised to find an impressive statue of South American hero Simon Bolivar (1783-1830) perched on a pedestal outside the hotel entrance. The inscription on its base said that he was the founder of Bolivia and liberator of Columbia, Peru, Ecuador, Panama and Venezuela. Due to close connections between the Venezuelan ambassador and the mayor of Ottawa, the statue was presented to the City by the Venezuelan government in October, 1988.

The quoted rate for our room was C$139 (US$128) but with a small tax and C$13.60/day for parking charges, my total daily cost was C$157, not bad considering the location and quaility of the suite itself (see next tip).

Directions: Almost at the western end of Besserer Street and just a block from the corner of Sussex and Rideau

Quartzy's Profile Photo

A good hotel

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 24, 2006

This is a good hotel. The staff at reception was very friendly when we arrived, even trying a few words in French once they realized it was our first language.

Unique Quality: The hotel has a swimming pool and a spa - they're relatively small but I don't think it ever gets very crowded in there. There is also a gym room, which I thought was pretty small, too. I didn't try it though and I only saw one person using the gym facilities, so again, it might be the right size.

There is also a small and cheap restaurant in the hotel. They don't offer big and fancy meals (it's a franchise but the name of the restaurant flees my mind at the moment) but it's convenient if you don't feel like going out.

The hotel offers indoor parking as well, but you have to pay a daily extra fee.

In the rooms you'll find a small kitchen so you can cook your own meals if you don't want to spend money in restaurants.

Nearby Les Suites Hotel Ottawa

• Kitchenette
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Ottawa Travel Forum

Need advice about Ottawa, Canada? Visit the Travel Forum for Ottawa and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Ottawa hotel reviews