Lord Elgin Hotel

kris-t's Profile Photo

Landmark hotel

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 1, 2011

The Lord Elgin Hotel is ideally situated close to a number of Parliament buildings as well as the National Art Gallery.

Lord Elgin also is steps away from the Rideau Canal, Ottawa Congress Centre, Ottawa Rideau Centre, University of Ottawa

Unique Quality: A state-of-the-art 24-hour fitness center, complete with a lap pool.

An Airport shuttle services this hotel daily at the cost of $16.00 one way and $25.00 return.

Directions: Steps from Parlament Hill

Jefie's Profile Photo

My best hotel experience in Ottawa!

by written on February 2, 2010

Perhaps I haven't been lucky, but all the hotels I've stayed at in Ottawa were only so-so... until I stayed at the Lord Elgin, that is! The location is amazing, right at the heart of downtown Ottawa. My room was very nice, and the bed and pillows were incredibly comfortable! I very much liked the option of having freshly brewed Starbucks coffee delivered to my room in the morning, that sure was a nice way to start the day :o) I also had dinner at the very elegant Lord Elgin Cafe, and while it was a bit on the expensive side, at least I felt like I got my money's worth (the peppered beef tenderloin was delicious!). I've got a feeling that those who are disappointed with the Lord Elgin Hotel are expecting too much luxury given its rather stately appearance. However, if you're looking for a comfortable stay in downtown Ottawa, I really don't think you can go wrong with this hotel.

Unique Quality: I didn't have time to stop by the fitness room or the swimming pool, but I was glad to see they had a business centre with free Internet access. The lobby bar looked very nice, and I saw there was an airport shuttle service.

Directions: Downtown Ottawa

Room not made during check-in, messy bed!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 13, 2009

So I wanted to surprise my girlfriend for our anniversary by visiting Ottawa for our very first time. I booked my room with the romantic getaway package (which includes flowers, chocolate truffles and a personal note presented in the room - which was supposed to be a surprise for my gf).

Well, we got there at normal check-in time, 3pm and were given our room. We lugged our bags upstairs, and excitedly swiped the card on our door and swung open it. GUESS WHAT??? To our surprise...THE ROOM WAS A MESS!!! The bed sheets were not made nor cleaned from previous guests!! Our jaws dropped and till this day I have a clear image of what this room looked like. This was disgusting, and on top of that, the surprise chocolates and flowers were not there!!!

Furious, I went down to talk to the concierge who gave us our room...she acted like NOTHING WAS WRONG and said "I'm sorry, I'll get you another room". I expressed my dissapointement about the traumatic image of our room and told her the surprise chocolates and flowers with a personal note to my gf were not there . I asked her why I had to come down and ASK in front of my gf where the surprise gift was - she says "Oh...I'll grab one from the back right now"...I told her right there and then "First, you give me a room that was CLEARLY not ready, and second, I didn't expect they would screw up on the 'gift' ". I asked what they could do for me and she proceeds to accuse me of wanting freebies!! I asked to talk to a manager and guess what, she also indirectly accused me of wanting freebies from their mistake by saying "well, there's nothing we can do for you but we can give you another room". I explicitely told her I was not trying to get a free night stay, but that they MUST have some kind of compensation for us...

The staff and manager there were utterly useless and rude, and did not understand the concept of hospitality nor own up to their mistakes. They instead accuse us of trying to freeload and turned a blind eye to the fact that they ruined what was supposed to be a surprise for my girlfriend.

Well...there is my little rant. So bottom line, DO NOT RELY ON LORD ELGIN's STAFF. And, before you do complain about anything, just know they will NOT do anything to compensate you for their mistakes.

Other than that, we had a great stay once we got our new room but solely because we made the best of the situation despite the traumatic image of an un-made room presented to us on our anniversary.

Mikebb's Profile Photo

Beautiful Hotel, Well Located

by written on June 29, 2008

This was a very comfortable hotel with all the facilities you would expect from an upmarket hotel. We were on a coach tour with accommodation included in total cost. We had an evening dinner in the restaurant which was a high quality meal.

We were allowed to use the business centre free of charge and enjoyed the fast internet.

We enjoyed the hotel and highly recommend.

oceania26's Profile Photo

Lord Elgin, not worth the price

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 23, 2007

Ok I haven't stayed at too many high end hotels but I would say I'm more disappointed than satisfied. I personally wouldn't recommend it even though it's the #2 place to stay in Ottawa and I didn't have to pay for it out of my own pocket.

For a standard guest room, the decor or room isn't that great. For the price we're paying, you would think that internet and local calls would be free...they are at most hostels!

You will be paying $1 surcharge for local calls - it calls $0.25 to make a local call on a payphone.

You will be paying $10/day for an internet CONNECTION, you have to bring your own laptop and there's no wireless! It costs $20-40/MONTH for a residential internet connection...just as a comparison.

Rooms were kept pretty cold and there is a thermostat that doesn't seem to work.

Overpriced food and room service - e.g. $4 for bottled Dasani water which is basically re-filtered tap water.

I know most hotels do this, but still doesn't make it right.

$17/day + taxes + tip for valet parking...so more like $25/day.

Room service comes around 8am! So early, most are still asleep or getting ready for the day. What they do is shout, housekeeping, housekeeping from outside but unless you're paying attention, you have no idea they're talking to, so they open your room door!!!!

Unique Quality: EXCELLENT location - 5 mins from Rideau Centre, Parliament. 10min walk to Byward Market. Right across from National Art Centre.

There's a pool and mediocre gym.

Directions: On Elgin Street - in between Slater and Laurier

janika's Profile Photo

Best of the best

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 13, 2004

Conveniently Located on Elgin Street, (ceremonial route to the Cenotaph) and Houses of Parliament in the middle of downtown Ottawa. This Hotel overlooks the famous Confederation Park, home to many festivals and the Winterlude. Walk through the Park and reach the Rideau Canal. An all-around center of activity and waterway which becomes the longest skating rink in the world during the winter season.

The eleven storey building, with its Normandy copper roof, located opposite the National Arts Centre, home of the performing arts in Ottawa is a clean cut modern adaptation of the French Chateau style. This place is so big it did not fit on my photo. Please enlarge image to view details. I can also send you the high resolution, full size, original photo. Just request it in email. Lord Elgin offers a nice blend of historic charm and state of the art, modern day conveniences and services. You can't miss this place. Ask anyone on the street, They'll tell you where the Lord Elgin is. One of the oldest hotels in Ottawa with the most beautiful view of the Canal and Confederation Park.

Top to bottom heritage construction, in the last phase of yet another impressive expansion and renovation program in room movies, lobby bar with fireplace, meeting facilities with on-site meeting services manager, business services available, smoking floors available. State of the art and expanded fitness room, Indoor lap pool, Whirlpool and saunas now open for the guests and visitors.

Unique Quality: Brand new restaurant front view outdoor patio. I don't recommend the patio on week days due to heavy traffic on Elgin St and there is a lot of smoke and noise around. Room service, Safety deposit boxes, Gift shop for souvenirs, On site cash machine, Airport and casino shuttle convenient, Valet underground parking and Valet dry cleaning services.

Directions: Right across from Confederation Park

deadites's Profile Photo

Lord Elgin..

by written on October 26, 2003

This is another hotel that is right in the heart of everything.

Unique Quality: It was in 1941 that the Lord Elgin Hotel, soon after known as the cornerstone of hospitality in Ottawa, was first established. Named after the Right Honourable James Bruce, 8th Earl of Elgin , 12th Earl of Kincardine and Governor General of British North America ( 1847-1854 ) the Hotel soon evolved into a fine tradition of warm and gracious service, fostered by its founder Chester Everett Pickering. The Hotel enjoyed the distinguished patronage of the great grandson of James Bruce, the Right Honorable Andrew Bruce, 11th Earl of Elgin , 15th Earl of Kincardine who served as its Honorary Chairman for years afterward.

Directions: Across the street from City Hall. Walking distance to everything!!

duanestorey's Profile Photo

Elgin Street's Finest

by written on April 6, 2003

The Lord Elgin is a posh hotel right on Elgin street downtown.. I used to live around the block from this hotel. It's not as fancy as the Chateau Laurier, but it's still a very nice place to stay (or so I'm told).

Directions: Elgin and Sparks

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Ottawa Travel Forum

Need advice about Ottawa, Canada? Visit the Travel Forum for Ottawa and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Ottawa hotel reviews

Views of Ottawa
Intercity by bus
Statues
Favorites
Travel by Road (including rentals)
Sightseeing tours
Skiing/Snowboarding
Sports & Outdoors
Football, baseball, lacross
Sports & Outdoors
Ottawa City Transportation (OC Transpo)
Reconciliation: The Peacekeeping Monument