King Bethune House Guest House & Spa

Tags

Birdwatching Spa and Resort Women's Travel
See Amenities

Worst B&B experience by far

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 11, 2011

Do not stay at this property. There is more to the story but I will keep it short. The property is is run by an older bedraggled woman who can't keep up with the daily upkeep. It is located in a derelict area of town.It is filthy dirty and reeks of musty sewer odor. Don't believe any of the few positive ratings (likely submitted by her) as I was fooled by giving it a chance. Not to mention, the owner is a nutbar. This was the worst B&B experience.Trust me, if you need a place to stay in Peterborough, the Holiday Inn and the Best Western are way better properties and much more reasonable cost.

Peterborough's best B&B and spa

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 12, 2011

There is a peaceful oasis in downtown Peterborough at King Bethune House. I highly recommend a visit there if you are in the area. The food was fantastic, very fresh and delicious. My room was quiet, spotless, beautiful linens with a down comforter and pillows on the bed. One of the unique features, was a 2 person extra deep and long bathtub in my private bathroom. High ceilings with a fan and central air made the room exceptionally comfortable. The hostess is friendly, accommodating and knowledgeable about current activities in the area.

Unique Quality: I enjoyed 3 spa treatments while I was there, and left feeling renewed and well rested. I was able to walk about downtown and spend some time shopping at a great variety of shops and cafe's, no taxi needed. The bike path that leads to the marshes is my personal favorite. If you want to get away from it all, dinner in the garden, with the fire pit and jacuzzi will take you there. I will be returning, again and again.

Directions: downtown, at King and Bethune

Never stay there again

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 23, 2008

I photographed a nearby wedding in August 2008, and needed 2 nights stay somewhere nice. I phoned an hour before my arrival to say when we'd be arriving. When we did arrived it was dark and raining and there was absolutely no place to park on the whole street. My husband parked the car around the corner and I ran to the house to inquire about parking. The place seemed deserted except for some faint music upstairs. After about 10 minutes on my self-guided tour I decided to check the back patio - not my first thought since it was raining. The door was closed tight but there was the hostess catching up with 2 friends. Once they left, there opened up a spot in the driveway for our car. This scenereo repeated itself the 2nd night only we didn't get a solution except to park on the street.
We stayed in the upstairs king size bedroom. I don't really care about decor so I won't comment on that but here is a short synopsis of our stay:
Moldy smelling bathroom including the towells;
Absent hostess (you're on your own every night);
Hostess is not what I would call a good cook;
No parking for us either night - we worried about our car being towed all night as it was up to us to find our own parking;
Other guests had unknowingly taken 2 spots in the small driveway and the hostess would not contact them or try to solve the problem;
Breakfast - the fresh fruit was brown and the strawberries were pruning up, drying out - nothing was worth eating. We found our own food once we left the house.

Unique Quality: Heritage type building.
Useless Hostess - she's never there. Call her on the phone and she won't solve any problems you may have.
Fresh fruit/food is probably a week old, browning, pruning, and drying up.
Not enough parking available for all the guests even at one vehichle per room.
Comfort Inn would be a much better choice.

Directions: Down town.

• Free Parking
  • Pets Allowed
  • Free High Speed Internet

Peterborough Travel Forum

Need advice about Peterborough, Canada? Visit the Travel Forum for Peterborough and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Peterborough hotel reviews